Jose Hernandez

Iowa

The Marlins are looking at free agent Jose Hernandez as a potential replacement for Wes Helms.

Hernandez could serve as the platoonmate for Mike Jacobs at first base and as a backup to Miguel Cabrera at third. It's unclear whether the Marlins would offer him more than a minor league deal.

Sorry if already postedd. I mentioned his name a while ago.. has always hit LHP very well. Might not be a popular name but he could prove himself useful like Wes Helms.

If Jacobs is here (and I hope he is), I want him getting at least 50% of the at bats vsL. He has to learn how to hit them and he's not going to learn simply by doing it in a cage.

Bring back Lenny!

(I'm half serious)

I'd rather have Lenny Harris than Jose Hernandez and I'm completely serious.

If this is the only guy (referring to Hernandez) the marlins are bringing in for the bench we will be in big trouble when we are fighting late in games.

This all adds up to Sanchez not as the centerfielder but the new "hit machine" off the bench.

Just a thought.

I remember a few years ago when he was playing for some team, was it the Pirates or Royals or Dodgers... can't remember... anyway he was about to break the ALL-TIME strikeout record and didn't the manager sit him as he didn't want to be shamed with that illustrious record... or am I thinking of someone else?

Jose Hernandez. Ugh.

I remember a few years ago when he was playing for some team, was it the Pirates or Royals or Dodgers... can't remember... anyway he was about to break the ALL-TIME strikeout record and didn't the manager sit him as he didn't want to be shamed with that illustrious record... or am I thinking of someone else?

happened with the Marlins too. Preston Wilson was probably going to set it one year & John Boles sat him on the bench.

If the Marlins sign Hernandez it will pretty much sum up this god awful awful offseason the Marlins have had.

You do realize that last year we hadn't signed a lot of key contributors like Helms, Borowski and Olivo until after this point in the off-season, right?

All hope is not lost yet.

That doesn't say a whole lot because a lot of players that would have helped the Marlins have already gone to other teams. At this point it seems like the Marlins will be making most the rest of their ML ready acquisitions via trade.

And considering the Marlins stock of tradeable players isn't very high, I don't expect much to happen in that area.

When ya go with a limited payroll that means all the top notch, big name players are going someplace else. Just because fans want the to sign Barry Bonds for $16 mil, for instance, dosen't mean they are going to. Haven't you been paying attention to what these players have been signing for? Even Helms. We didn't sign players until January last year and we did just fine.

Want the team to start spending alot more $$$ on players?? Talk to people and get them to go to games. Buy ticket packages. Talk to your political representatives and light a fire under them to get a stadium deal done. Or just sit at home on game days, blame everyone else, and continue to spread your negativity. Your choice.

And "Marlins stock of tradeable players isn't very high"???? LOL Pay attention.

When ya go with a limited payroll that means all the top notch, big name players are going someplace else. Just because fans want the to sign Barry Bonds for $16 mil, for instance, dosen't mean they are going to. Haven't you been paying attention to what these players have been signing for? Even Helms. We didn't sign players until January last year and we did just fine.

Helms was the Marlins biggest missed opportunity and the only reason he did not come to the Marlins it seems is because they refused to give him anymore playing time. A lot of this has to do with the mishandling of the Mike Jacobs situation.

Can't see how Jake was mishandled. Kid was hurt for alot of the year and still put up decent numbers except vs lefties. he was defensively replaced in alot of games by Mostly Helms because he wasn't progressing as planned yet, probably due to injuries. Wes went else where because he wanted more playing time and he got that. Plus more $$$. Jake is our 1B. That's the bottom line right now. Any kind of trade rumors is coming straight from this board. Every place I have read anything about him says he is staying here. I believe a healthy Jake will progress defensively and he will raise those numbers vs lefties at the plate.

And while I think signing Bonds would have helped this franchise a bunch, I don't blame the front office if they at least made him an offer. It's understandable that he would want to break the record with the Giants.

Want the team to start spending alot more $$$ on players?? Talk to people and get them to go to games. Buy ticket packages. Talk to your political representatives and light a fire under them to get a stadium deal done. Or just sit at home on game days, blame everyone else, and continue to spread your negativity. Your choice.

I guess I could do that if I didn't live over 1,000 miles away from the stadium. Even so, I probably went to more home games than many people on this board, so for you to call me a disloyal fan is borderline offensive.

Didn't call you a disloyal fan so you can be insulted all you want. I did however say your posts are mostly negative. And that they are.

If the Marlins sign Hernandez it will pretty much sum up this god awful awful offseason the Marlins have had.

You do realize that last year we hadn't signed a lot of key contributors like Helms, Borowski and Olivo until after this point in the off-season, right?

All hope is not lost yet.

That doesn't say a whole lot because a lot of players that would have helped the Marlins have already gone to other teams. At this point it seems like the Marlins will be making most the rest of their ML ready acquisitions via trade.

And considering the Marlins stock of tradeable players isn't very high, I don't expect much to happen in that area.

A whole lot of players that would have helped the Marlins last year had already gone to other teams by this point last year too. Patience, my child.