Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rocco getting tons of attention

Featured Replies

Devil Rays: Rocco Baldelli continues to be mentioned in trade rumors with the Braves, White Sox and Orioles. The Rays are most interested in acquiring starting pitching. Names in play for Atlanta include Chuck James, Kyle Davies or Jarrod Saltalamacchia; Brandon McCarthy or Jon Garland for the White sox; and Daniel Cabrera, Hayden Penn or Adam Loewen for the O's.

 

According to the St. Petersburg Times, the Devil Rays turned down a trade deal that would have sent B.J. Upton to the Marlins for Ricky Nolasco. MLB.com has learned that the Marlins have interest in Upton to play center field, and they also are talking about dealing with Tampa Bay for Seth McClung, a right-hander who has started but would be a closer candidate for the Marlins.

 

The Marlins are exploring multi-player deals with Tampa Bay which could land them Upton and McClung. Nolasco, according to an MLB.com source, is one of the names being tossed around in a possible move with Tampa Bay. Also, Peter Gammons of ESPN reports the Marlins are considering trading a pitching prospect for outfielder David Murphy, a center field candidate. The Marlins have had interest in Murphy since before the July 31 trade deadline.

 

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...6&fext=.jsp

 

McClung for closer? Thats a joke right?

Devil Rays: Rocco Baldelli continues to be mentioned in trade rumors with the Braves, White Sox and Orioles. The Rays are most interested in acquiring starting pitching. Names in play for Atlanta include Chuck James, Kyle Davies or Jarrod Saltalamacchia; Brandon McCarthy or Jon Garland for the White sox; and Daniel Cabrera, Hayden Penn or Adam Loewen for the O's.

 

According to the St. Petersburg Times, the Devil Rays turned down a trade deal that would have sent B.J. Upton to the Marlins for Ricky Nolasco. MLB.com has learned that the Marlins have interest in Upton to play center field, and they also are talking about dealing with Tampa Bay for Seth McClung, a right-hander who has started but would be a closer candidate for the Marlins.

 

The Marlins are exploring multi-player deals with Tampa Bay which could land them Upton and McClung. Nolasco, according to an MLB.com source, is one of the names being tossed around in a possible move with Tampa Bay. Also, Peter Gammons of ESPN reports the Marlins are considering trading a pitching prospect for outfielder David Murphy, a center field candidate. The Marlins have had interest in Murphy since before the July 31 trade deadline.

 

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...6&fext=.jsp

 

McClung for closer? Thats a joke right?

Don't believe everything you read. Either way, given that the DRays won't even swap Upton for Nolasco, I think there's very little possibility a deal goes down with Tampa.

Actually, I remember watching a game where McClung closed for the D-Rays and he was quite impressive. His WHIP is pretty bad but I think because he's been tossed back and forth between a starter and a reliever, if he had one set position in the 'pen, he could have potential.

Actually, I remember watching a game where McClung closed for the D-Rays and he was quite impressive. His WHIP is pretty bad but I think because he's been tossed back and forth between a starter and a reliever, if he had one set position in the 'pen, he could have potential.

 

Agreed, Seth wasn't bad out of the pen last year and he could do better with a different team. I doubt the ability of the Devil Rays to mature any pitching prospects because they don't know how to manage them.

What do you guys think about one of the following packages

 

Johnson for Upton, Matt Walker

Johnson for Upton, E. Johnson

Johnson, Messenger/Nestor for Upton, McClung, Riggans

 

New Look (lets say we went with #3)

C Olivo/ Riggans

1B Jacobs/Stokes

2B Uggla/Amezaga

SS Ramirez/Amezaga

3B Miguel Cabrera

LF Josh Williangham

CF B.J Upton

RF Jeremy Hermida

 

Rotation

Willis

Sanchez

Olsen

Nolasco

Pinto/Petit

 

Bullpen (no order)

McClung

Tankersley

Gregg

Owens

 

to battle it out

Lindstrom

H. Garcia

J. Garcia

Vanden Hurk

Mildren

Mitre

 

Other trade idea's but likely unpopular

 

Olsen and Thompson for Dukes and Upton

Olsen for Upton, McGee

Olsen for Upton, E.Johnson, C.Mason/Talbbot

I've kind of come to the conclusion that this media blitz by the D'Rays is an attempt to present as many options (example: McClung as closer) to the anyone who might be interested, even if it's done at the Marlins' expense. The same is starting with Atlanta. In short nothing a GM says to his equivalent in Tampa can be considered confidential if it serves the Rays interests.

  • Author

What do you guys think about one of the following packages

 

Johnson for Upton, Matt Walker

Johnson for Upton, E. Johnson

Johnson, Messenger/Nestor for Upton, McClung, Riggans

 

New Look (lets say we went with #3)

C Olivo/ Riggans

1B Jacobs/Stokes

2B Uggla/Amezaga

SS Ramirez/Amezaga

3B Miguel Cabrera

LF Josh Williangham

CF B.J Upton

RF Jeremy Hermida

 

Rotation

Willis

Sanchez

Olsen

Nolasco

Pinto/Petit

 

Bullpen (no order)

McClung

Tankersley

Gregg

Owens

 

to battle it out

Lindstrom

H. Garcia

J. Garcia

Vanden Hurk

Mildren

Mitre

 

Other trade idea's but likely unpopular

 

Olsen and Thompson for Dukes and Upton

Olsen for Upton, McGee

Olsen for Upton, E.Johnson, C.Mason

 

Deal or No deal?

 

NO DEAL!!

 

I would give up JJ or Olsen for any of those players...

I've kind of come to the conclusion that this media blitz by the D'Rays is an attempt to present as many options (example: McClung as closer) to the anyone who might be interested, even if it's done at the Marlins' expense. The same is starting with Atlanta. In short nothing a GM says to his equivalent in Tampa can be considered confidential if it serves the Rays interests.

 

I don't know if the media can be used to drive a player's value up as much as it can be used to drive a player's value down (IE, irreparable rift with management/teammates).

 

I mean, Beinfest or Minaya or Stoneman or any of the other names routinely in the executive of the year discussion pick up a paper and say "hmmmm, you know, he may be a great closer candidate." Really, if the media is used at all, it's to keep abreast of who's on the chopping block.

I've kind of come to the conclusion that this media blitz by the D'Rays is an attempt to present as many options (example: McClung as closer) to the anyone who might be interested, even if it's done at the Marlins' expense. The same is starting with Atlanta. In short nothing a GM says to his equivalent in Tampa can be considered confidential if it serves the Rays interests.

 

I don't know if the media can be used to drive a player's value up as much as it can be used to drive a player's value down (IE, irreparable rift with management/teammates).

 

I mean, Beinfest or Minaya or Stoneman or any of the other names routinely in the executive of the year discussion pick up a paper and say "hmmmm, you know, he may be a great closer candidate." Really, if the media is used at all, it's to keep abreast of who's on the chopping block.

 

Thank you so much for your input. As usual you missed the point completely.

My favorite choices for CF are the following

 

1. BJ Upton

2. David Murphy

 

Both of those options I like. Specially the Upton one depending on the price. But the Murphy one could be solid if it is cheap. But, I think they will want tankersly still.

 

My least favorites is a plantoon again there, I would rather find Chuckie Carr and put him back out there.

I've kind of come to the conclusion that this media blitz by the D'Rays is an attempt to present as many options (example: McClung as closer) to the anyone who might be interested, even if it's done at the Marlins' expense. The same is starting with Atlanta. In short nothing a GM says to his equivalent in Tampa can be considered confidential if it serves the Rays interests.

 

I don't know if the media can be used to drive a player's value up as much as it can be used to drive a player's value down (IE, irreparable rift with management/teammates).

 

I mean, Beinfest or Minaya or Stoneman or any of the other names routinely in the executive of the year discussion pick up a paper and say "hmmmm, you know, he may be a great closer candidate." Really, if the media is used at all, it's to keep abreast of who's on the chopping block.

 

Thank you so much for your input. As usual you missed the point completely.

 

:lol

My favorite choices for CF are the following

 

1. BJ Upton

2. David Murphy

 

Both of those options I like. Specially the Upton one depending on the price. But the Murphy one could be solid if it is cheap. But, I think they will want tankersly still.

 

My least favorites is a plantoon again there, I would rather find Chuckie Carr and put him back out there.

BJ Upton is your favorite for CF? Besides being way overpriced by his team, the guy is an infielder who has very limited MLB experience and did little there. I get the whole "he has great tools" and "he has a high cieling". But he's niether proven (offensively or defensively) at the MLB level, and he isn't even an OF, let alone a CF. I guess you're entitled to believe that he is a realistic option (I would disagree), but if you're gonna pick a favorite, why not an actual CF like Felix Pie? Given the fact that one can actually trade with the Cubs and the DRays are insane, the difference in realism isn't that favorable to getting Upton.

My favorite choices for CF are the following

 

1. BJ Upton

2. David Murphy

 

Both of those options I like. Specially the Upton one depending on the price. But the Murphy one could be solid if it is cheap. But, I think they will want tankersly still.

 

My least favorites is a plantoon again there, I would rather find Chuckie Carr and put him back out there.

BJ Upton is your favorite for CF? Besides being way overpriced by his team, the guy is an infielder who has very limited MLB experience and did little there. I get the whole "he has great tools" and "he has a high cieling". But he's niether proven (offensively or defensively) at the MLB level, and he isn't even an OF, let alone a CF. I guess you're entitled to believe that he is a realistic option (I would disagree), but if you're gonna pick a favorite, why not an actual CF like Felix Pie? Given the fact that one can actually trade with the Cubs and the DRays are insane, the difference in realism isn't that favorable to getting Upton.

 

Have you ever watched Pie play? Second the Cubs are looking to let him grow for a year then be their own CF. He isnt available.

 

I said depending upon the price there as well.

 

I believe Upton could become a great CF out there and not only that but he has the talent to become an elite player in this league. You can disagree if you wish. I really dont care.

Have you ever watched Pie play? Second the Cubs are looking to let him grow for a year then be their own CF. He isnt available.

 

I said depending upon the price there as well.

 

I believe Upton could become a great CF out there and not only that but he has the talent to become an elite player in this league. You can disagree if you wish. I really dont care.

Why? Based on what? The guy has played 7 innings total in the OF (LF to be precise), and that was 1 game back in 04.

 

I figured that Pie isn't available. That said, Upton isn't coming either. If Tampa wouldn't take what have already been the generous offers reported, you can forget about it. Elite player or not, unless someone is dumb enough to give the DRays a top 1,2, or 3 SP for Upton, he will be riding the bench most of next season in Tampa.

Have you ever watched Pie play? Second the Cubs are looking to let him grow for a year then be their own CF. He isnt available.

 

I said depending upon the price there as well.

 

I believe Upton could become a great CF out there and not only that but he has the talent to become an elite player in this league. You can disagree if you wish. I really dont care.

Why? Based on what? The guy has played 7 innings total in the OF (LF to be precise), and that was 1 game back in 04.

 

I figured that Pie isn't available. That said, Upton isn't coming either. If Tampa wouldn't take what have already been the generous offers reported, you can forget about it. Elite player or not, unless someone is dumb enough to give the DRays a top 1,2, or 3 SP for Upton, he will be riding the bench most of next season in Tampa.

 

It is funny the reports, according to the marlins we havent spoken yet according to the drays we havent spoken. Still at the same time according to the media we have made offers and all.

 

Sorta amusing. But I think they will speak more and TB's price will come down as all of the pitching is gone from the market and a package of Nolasco and a good prospect will get him. The talent of the young man is worth that price for the risk/reward because of his potentials. He easily could become a 5 tool player out ther because of his speed and arm. The scouts have projected the same for his brother Justin as well. He has said he has no problem playing in the OF also, as shown before in an interview I posted up.

 

I said it was my own wish list for what I would like. Doesnt mean it will happen or if it doesnt I am gonna stop following my team. But it is the trade I hope we can find a way to make.

It is funny the reports, according to the marlins we havent spoken yet according to the drays we havent spoken. Still at the same time according to the media we have made offers and all.

 

Sorta amusing. But I think they will speak more and TB's price will come down as all of the pitching is gone from the market and a package of Nolasco and a good prospect will get him. The talent of the young man is worth that price for the risk/reward because of his potentials. He easily could become a 5 tool player out ther because of his speed and arm. The scouts have projected the same for his brother Justin as well. He has said he has no problem playing in the OF also, as shown before in an interview I posted up.

They never came down on the price for Gathright with us. And I don't think that a bench IF for a CF is worth Nolasco & more. As I've said before, if Tampa even thought that much of him, they wouldn't have bid to bring in Iwamura and would be playing Upton at 3B.

You can never have too much depth and they might think highly of him in the OF which is why they are shopping Rocco Baldelli one of their most popular players despite his contract being perfect for them.

 

BJ Upton is a top 50 prospect in baseball right now still if he wasnt past the number of games to not be considered a prospect. Most likely top 25 still. He is only 22

 

If you dont like my opinion it is fine dude, but I gave my opinion from what I have read upon the players and watching them over time.

AROUND THE HORN

 

TOO MUCH: The Marlins did make a push for Rocco Baldelli and would have been willing to give up Scott Olsen and some lesser pieces for the Devil Rays' center fielder. But talks ended when it became apparent Tampa Bay wanted two members of the Marlins' rotation. ... Former Marlins outfielder Chris Aguila has signed a minor league contract with the Pirates.

 

ON SECOND THOUGHT: The more I think about it, the more I like the notion of a platoon of Chris Denorfia (Reds) and Cory Sullivan (Rockies) in center for the Marlins next year. Denorfia, who played for Marlins Triple-A manager Dean Treanor this winter in the Dominican Republic, has drawn comparisons to Mark Kotsay for his strong defense, while Sullivan's speed and instincts make him well-suited to handle the spacious confines of Dolphin Stadium. And neither would cost much in terms of trade pieces. ... It's probably good the Marlins weren't able to nab Josh Hamilton in the Rule 5 draft. Along with Jeff Allison, that would have given them the two most notorious active prospects in terms of drug abuse. That's one set you don't want to complete.

 

 

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-spm...olumn?track=rss

 

Maybe the best trade we never made.

Why this team would offer Olsen for anyone boggles my mind. Two years in a row now. At least this year it was for a good player though, and not a scrub like Gathright.

durrrrr maybe they arent as high on him as you are durrrrr

I wouldn't have offered that. And if I were the DRays I would've signed off on it the day before. Granted, my knowledge of their organization is limited, but seriously, Olsen would almost be their ace if we traded him IMO. Kazmir is their only comparable pitcher. You would think they would jump at the chance to add Olsen and free themself of an injury-prone (and granted, productive) CF so they can install a more durable replacement.

My baseball coach played ball in the minors with Riggans, he sounds pretty good.

I have a hard time believing the validity of that report. Given the Rays desperate need for pitching, I think they'd have jumped at any offer of a rotation starter above Nolasco.

 

And if they really were offered Olsen + and we weren't just "prepared" to offer it, and they turned it down, they'll never truly make the leap.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.