Cheap Free Agent Ideas...

WildMarlinMan2003

With guys like Edgar Gonzalez and Jason Stokes expected to get a shot to make this year's club. I dunno if ANY of these guys are real options. However, I like some of these guys BETTER than Jose Hernandez OR Dan Kolb.....Let's see who's out there....

1) Javy Lopez (C/1B)- Sure he's old but he can backup at 1st and at catcher. He's a veteran leader as well.

2) Craig Wilson (1B)- Would be a great PHer and backup but would probably cost too much.

3) Aaron Boone (3B/Util)- Would be a great bench performer on any team. But wants to be a starter and too much money.

4) John Mabry (Util)- Would come cheap

5) Matt Stairs (OF/1B)- Wants to stay in the AL

6) Matt Lawton (OF)- Does he want too much money. Can he still play/ CF?

7) Preston Wilson (OF)- Nah.....nevermind

8) Darin Erstad (OF)- I can't see a guy going from LA to Miami this late in his career.

9) Antonio Alfonseca (RP)- Why not? Tell me he's not better than Dan Kolb.

10) Keith Foulke (RP)- Probably wants at least 5 mil.

11) Dustin Hermanson (RP)- One of my favorite guys out there but we aren't even looking at him.

12) Steve Karsay (RP)- Might be used up.

13) Matt Mantei (RP)- Nah....Is used up.

14) Rudy Seanez (RP)- I would not mind seeing us bringing him back.

15) Eddie Guardado (RP)- Does he have closer stuff anymore?

Any of these guys peak anyone's interest?

1) Javy Lopez (C/1B)- wouldn't object.

2) Craig Wilson (1B)- Not a cherap reserve..he will start somewhere.

3) Aaron Boone (3B/Util)- wouldn't object.

4) John Mabry (Util)- LH bat off the bench...fine.

5) Matt Stairs (OF/1B)- He is a DH

6) Matt Lawton (OF)- naaaah.

7) Preston Wilson (OF)- won't be cheap.

8) Darin Erstad (OF)- wont end up here

9) Antonio Alfonseca (RP)- No thanks at this point.

10) Keith Foulke (RP)- won't be cheap.

11) Dustin Hermanson (RP)- won't be cheap.

12) Steve Karsay (RP)- done

13) Matt Mantei (RP)- done

14) Rudy Seanez (RP)- would be a fine addition...again.

15) Eddie Guardado (RP)- Not cheap and coming off surgery, no?

The Devil Rays continue to prostitute themselves and their position as first pick off the waiver wire. Now they're being the Philly's b*tch.

That they did for $$ and not to improve the team, as they did in the Rule 5, really says alot about the franchise.

------------

from roto:

" Bobby Livingston-R- Phillies Dec. 12 - 4:37 pm et

Devil Rays claimed LHP Bobby Livingston off waivers from the Mariners and traded him to the Phillies for cash considerations.

You don't see this very often. The Phillies paid the Rays to use their No. 1 waiver position to claim Livingston, obviously fearing that another team would pick him up before he made it to them. Livingston, a finesse lefty, was 8-11 with 4.59 ERA, 165 H, 69/36 K/BB in 135 1/3 IP for Triple-A Tacoma last season. He gave up 10 runs in five innings during a brief stint in the Seattle bullpen and was also hit hard in the AFL. The Phillies seem to believe he still has bottom-of-the-rotation potential, and they could use the added depth after parting with Gavin Floyd and Gio Gonzalez. He shouldn't have a chance of making the team out of spring training."

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=MLB

I would have liked Guardado but didnt he have TJ like in Spet. or August?

Nah, just elbow tendinitis.

Looks like the Reds offered him a non-roster invite, though. I'd one up them and just go ahead and guarantee him the minimum so he has a reason to look at us and will still have something to show for it if he gets cut in the spring.

The Devil Rays continue to prostitute themselves and their position as first pick off the waiver wire. Now they're being the Philly's b*tch.

That they did for $$ and not to improve the team, as they did in the Rule 5, really says alot about the franchise.

So you can say 100% without a doubt the Rays wanted someone in the draft and opted for the money instead? If they didn't like anyone, why not get some cash? That's a smart move if that is what happened, which seems like the simplest answer. You are being a little to judgmental here. Plus, haven't the Marlins done this before with Johan Santana? We got cash from the Twins. Can't remember if we got a player too, but regardless, you see cash consideration trades happen from time to time. Big deal. I'm all about hating on the Devil Rays, but this one is a stretch. Also, DRays have Iwamura. That says a WHOLE LOT more to the direction of the franchise to me then skimping on the freaking Rule V Draft. I wish the Marlins would cash out a few bucks and take a shot on, anyone.

That they did for $ and not to improve the team, as they did in the Rule 5, really says alot about the franchise.

So you can say 100% without a doubt the Rays wanted someone in the draft and opted for the money instead? If they didn't like anyone, why not get some cash? That's a smart move if that is what happened, which seems like the simplest answer. You are being a little to judgmental here. Plus, haven't the Marlins done this before with Johan Santana? We got cash from the Twins. Can't remember if we got a player too, but regardless, you see cash consideration trades happen from time to time. Big deal. I'm all about hating on the Devil Rays, but this one is a stretch. Also, DRays have Iwamura. That says a WHOLE LOT more to the direction of the franchise to me then skimping on the freaking Rule V Draft. I wish the Marlins would cash out a few bucks and take a shot on, anyone.

Yeah Lou I can. At least in the sense there was talent available that matched their need. If they were so incompetent to not know he was out there then they hadn't read the fifty stories previewing the draft that pinpointed him.

For a team that whines and moans about not having any pitching they traded away the top pick in the Rule 5 and then watched KC (2nd) take Joakim Soria who just, in case you missed it, pitched a no-hitter in Mexico last week. He's 22, is 9-0 with a 1.77 ERA.

I don't know, seems to me a team like the bumbling Rays would have been better served giving Soria a look, even if he wound in the pen or a fifth starter, than lifting their skirts for a lousy $100k.

Oh BTW Lou, not only was it a no-hitter, it was a perfect game. 27 up, 27 down. I don't care what league you're pitching in that my friend is a heck of an accomplishment. Factoid - Alfredo Amezaga is on the same team with Soria.

That they did for $ and not to improve the team, as they did in the Rule 5, really says alot about the franchise.

So you can say 100% without a doubt the Rays wanted someone in the draft and opted for the money instead?

Yeah Lou I can. At least in the sense there was talent available that matched their need. If they were so incompetent to not know he was out there then they hadn't read the fifty stories previewing the draft that pinpointed him.

For a team that whines and moans about not having any pitching they traded away the top pick in the Rule 5 and then watched KC (2nd) take Joakim Soria who just, in case you missed it, pitched a no-hitter in Mexico last week. He's 22, is 9-0 with a 1.77 ERA.

I don't know, seems to me a team like the bumbling Rays would have been better served giving Soria a look, even if he wound in the pen or a fifth starter, than lifting their skirts for a lousy $100k.

First off, A+ on the obnoxious level with increasing the font. Secondly, YOU DO NOT KNOW THAT. YOU might view the talent available in the Rule V Draft as a 5th starter or bullpen help, but THEIR front office might disagree and feel those players will not stick on their MLB roster for the whole season compared to what they have. I'm not arguing the DRays have any sort of decent pitching, but you cannot sit here and argue this because YOU think Soria or whoever is a better fit for them. Maybe they don't like him. You can flash fancy mexican stats all you want, but if you believe a player isn't going to make your team and can make some cash with your pick, that's a smart move. This is not something to criticize the DRays for. By all means, lay into them when they reject a fair trade offer of Olsen for Rocco (if thats true), and seemingly want to Kazmir/Zambrano every trade for one of their outfielders and not give up value to get value, but cheap franchises don't win bids for Iwamura. Cheap franchises sign Alex Sanchez and Nate Fields as the two most prominent FA additions.

The font thing happens by accident. It happens (at least to me every once in a while since I switched to the wiz bang Admin editor - I think it's a glitch in the software). What happens is I cut and pasted Soria's complete name and I suppose some hidden font call came with it, causing that. And once it happens - I guess it imbeds some hidden characters you can't see - there's nothing I can do to fix it except get everything to one size but as you'll notice the line spacing is all screwed up. IF ANYONE knows how to fix the spacing problem please let me know. And for the record, the second I saw what had happened I went in and changed the font size. You don't see it in preview, only when it's posted.

You're looking for a fight but I'm not giving you one. Attack me all you want. Your insulting comments about Soria really say alot about your elitist approach to baseball and I'll leave it at that. And BTW, it's Field not "Fields". Try to at least get the names straight before you start complaining about them.

You're looking for a fight but I'm not giving you one. Attack me all you want. Your insulting comments about Soria really say alot about your elitist approach to baseball and I'll leave it at that. And BTW, it's Field not "Fields". Try to at least get the names straight before you start complaining about them.

haha are you really stooping to levels of spelling? because that surely detracts from my argument. I guess McKeon has no right to complain about DeLuca at catcher too. Right? I'll detract the font comment if you truly are having technical problems. I also never insulted Soria. Check your reading comprehension. Saying "You can flash fancy Mexican stats all you want" is not insulting his performance in winter leagues, which is about what low single A in competition, but merely a statement reflecting if you believe a guy dominating a low level of performance and left unprotected on a 40 man roster is going to all of a sudden jump to majors and stick, then you have a lot more faith with me. He's killing this winter. A lot different in April. The DRays have a front office, they know who was available. If they feel he doesn't help them, not a big deal to take the cash. My point remains, this was not an area to criticize the DRays for. You just got Dan Uggla beer goggles on for the Rule V Draft.

And for the record, I am not complaining about FIELD or Sanchez. I actually like those signings as camp invitees, but to use your time old and tested defense when myself, Swift, or countless others on this board continually try to pound rational thought into your brain, YOU MISSED THE POINT! It was about the marlins being CHEAP and not addressing their needs. Unless of course, you want to argue Alex Sanchez is going to bust out a .350+ OBP in CF and turn into not the worst defensive CF of the last decade and FIELD will bust out a sub 3.50 era over 70 IP, then by all means call me out and say I'm missing the Marlins grand master plan on this one. The point is, you are complaining the DRays are cheap for skimping on the RULE FREAKING FIVE DRAFT, which is basically a crapshoot, when they just paid a huge posting fee that costs more then all but 2 players on the Marlins roster, plus have to sign him on top of that. If the DRays are a hooker franchise just interested in cash, Loria and Samson win pimps of the year at the annual CBS Tricks and Marks Awards show. And it would be a unanimous victory.

I guess we'll have to wait until at minimum opening day or perhaps the ASB to see if the kid makes it but your view of the Mexican winter league, which is populated with any number of major leaguers and professional ballplayers as "low A in competition" reinforces the notion you're an elitist and can't bring yourself to recognize what most people find a terrific performance in throwing a perfect game.

You keep ignoring a couple of things, perhaps because they run counter to your argument.

Here's Baseball America take on him THE DAY BEFORE THE DRAFT "

"The name with the biggest buzz attached to it the night before the draft was Padres righthander Joakim Soria, a 22-year-old who spent most of the 2006 regular season pitching for the Mexico City Red Devils, with a 12-game stint in the low Class A Midwest League thrown in. Soria also has outstanding life on his fastball, which sits in the low 90s and tops out at 95. He also throws an above-average changeup, but his breaking ball remains a question.

?I know last year it was a problem--he couldn?t locate it at all,? a scouting director from a National League club said. ?But it?s gotten tighter and the reports this winter have been very good and he?s shown good velocity. He?s the flavor of the week in a lot of ways just based on what he?s doing now.?

What Soria is doing now certainly is impressive. The 6-foot-2, 170-pounder is 8-0, 2.02 with a 64-19 strikeout-walk ratio in 62 innings for Obregon in the Mexican Pacific League. Those numbers have him leading the league in the pitching triple-crown categories. During the regular season, Soria went 1-0, 2.31 in just 12 innings at low Class A Fort Wayne after coming over from the Mexican League."

I guess you must be right and Baseball America is wrong. If you want I can post any number of other articles that say more or less the same thing. You obviously missed them, but then again so did the entire Rays organization as they sat around and drank cocoa figuring out how to split up that $100k they were getting. They probably spent it on dinner and drinks for the front office staff.