March 13, 200719 yr BY JORGE Florida on Monday sent a scout to Hi Corbett Field to watch Jorge Julio, who retired six of the seven batters he faced in two scoreless innings against Colorado regulars. He walked Kaz Matsui. Florida, which has no proven closer on its roster, again is expected to have the lowest payroll in the major leagues, and it remains to be seen if the Marlins would accept Julio?s $3.6 million salary in 2007. The D-Backs appear to have an excess of bullpen right-handers, although any trade they make is likely to occur at the end of spring to make sure their inventory does not take a hit via injury. http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/85735 not very big on him personally he has always had control problems.
March 13, 200719 yr Went to a Orioles/Toronto game a few years back...he managed to blow the game in the 9th giving up two homers and then lose it in the 10th hated him ever since Buuuuuttt he may not be that bad of an option if it doesn't cost much prospect-wise
March 13, 200719 yr With the way our bullpen staff has resurrected careers of closers I wouldn't mind taking on shot on him. Granted we can't give up much for him.
March 13, 200719 yr You're looking at what he's owed this season, not necessarily what it would cost to get him which like Benitez will be some combination of $$$ and prospect talent. Admittedly I'm ambivalent on him but "if" the report is true he is at least on their radar screen.
March 13, 200719 yr $3.6mil next. Yea but the Marlins have always seemed to have an infatuation with Julio. Picking him up wouldn't surprise me at all.
March 13, 200719 yr You're looking at what he's owed this season, not necessarily what it would cost to get him which like Benitez will be some combination of $$$ and prospect talent. Admittedly I'm ambivalent on him but "if" the report is true he is at least on their radar screen. Well that's even worse if we have to give up a solid prospect just to lower his cost. Seriously, what kind of player would he cost to get him below $1.5mil? Garcia? Petit? Tucker? $3.6mil next. Yea but the Marlins have always seemed to have an infatuation with Julio. Picking him up wouldn't surprise me at all. I wouldn't be shocked either. But I think we're better off with what we got.
March 13, 200719 yr You're looking at what he's owed this season, not necessarily what it would cost to get him which like Benitez will be some combination of $$$ and prospect talent. Admittedly I'm ambivalent on him but "if" the report is true he is at least on their radar screen. Well that's even worse if we have to give up a solid prospect just to lower his cost. Seriously, what kind of player would he cost to get him below $1.5mil? Garcia? Petit? Tucker? $3.6mil next. Yea but the Marlins have always seemed to have an infatuation with Julio. Picking him up wouldn't surprise me at all. I wouldn't be shocked either. But I think we're better off with what we got. Adding a flamethrower in the Miami summer heat is neve a bad idea. Julio, Messenger, Owens, Lindstrom, Mitre, Gardner, Garcia, our pen should be improved especially with Julio.
March 13, 200719 yr You're looking at what he's owed this season, not necessarily what it would cost to get him which like Benitez will be some combination of $$ and prospect talent. Admittedly I'm ambivalent on him but "if" the report is true he is at least on their radar screen. Well that's even worse if we have to give up a solid prospect just to lower his cost. Seriously, what kind of player would he cost to get him below $1.5mil? Garcia? Petit? Tucker? I think you mssed the point Ramp, or maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the D'Backs just say "Okay pay his salary and he's yours...". Whatever the price (amount of salary the Marlins would pick up) whether it be $1.00 or $3.6 million Arizona is going to want player compensation as well.
March 13, 200719 yr You're looking at what he's owed this season, not necessarily what it would cost to get him which like Benitez will be some combination of $$ and prospect talent. Admittedly I'm ambivalent on him but "if" the report is true he is at least on their radar screen. Well that's even worse if we have to give up a solid prospect just to lower his cost. Seriously, what kind of player would he cost to get him below $1.5mil? Garcia? Petit? Tucker? I think you mssed the point Ramp, or maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the D'Backs just say "Okay pay his salary and he's yours...". Whatever the price (amount of salary the Marlins would pick up) whether it be $1.00 or $3.6 million Arizona is going to want player compensation as well. I certainly didn't miss the point
March 13, 200719 yr mlbtraderumors.com makes the point that Julio had a 12.0 K/9 last year, which ranked him 5th in the majors amongst pitchers with at least 60 IP. They also think that pitching in Dolphin Stadium would help get his HR numbers down. They think that Kranitz will need to help get his walk numbers down a bit, but that the main sticking point on a deal will be, of course, how much of his contract the Marlins will pay.
March 13, 200719 yr The Marlins should want nothing to do with Jorge Julio. I've seen him pitch a bunch and he throws nothing but fastballs waiting to be teed off on. With the way our bullpen staff has resurrected careers of closers I wouldn't mind taking on shot on him. Granted we can't give up much for him. I really wish people would stop spewing this nonsense. Here it was taken to a new extreme, as Julio was never really a serviceable closer to begin with. So your saying our staff had nothing to do with the seasons Benitez and Jones had to get them a nice fat Free Agent contract? Julio has closed in the past, granted he might not have been in the top 30 of closers, but he still has the stuff to be a closer. Sorry for spewing nonsense you didn't agree with penguino. I'll make sure it never happens again.
March 13, 200719 yr mlbtraderumors.com makes the point that Julio had a 12.0 K/9 last year, which ranked him 5th in the majors amongst pitchers with at least 60 IP. They also think that pitching in Dolphin Stadium would help get his HR numbers down. They think that Kranitz will need to help get his walk numbers down a bit, but that the main sticking point on a deal will be, of course, how much of his contract the Marlins will pay. could you post a link...couldnt find it
March 13, 200719 yr mlbtraderumors.com makes the point that Julio had a 12.0 K/9 last year, which ranked him 5th in the majors amongst pitchers with at least 60 IP. They also think that pitching in Dolphin Stadium would help get his HR numbers down. They think that Kranitz will need to help get his walk numbers down a bit, but that the main sticking point on a deal will be, of course, how much of his contract the Marlins will pay. could you post a link...couldnt find it http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2007/03/marlins_interes.html
March 13, 200719 yr To attribute the success of pitchers in receiving new free agent contracts after one year deals (neverminding the fact that Benitez was still a great pitcher up until and through his stint with the Marlins) to the simple act of playing for a specific organization is both illogical and fallacious. Correlation does not imply causation I'm sorry but I disagree. First of all I never said the only reason they got these contracts was b/c they were pitching for the Marlins. What I did say is our bullpen staff has had a great deal of influence in the improvement of mediocre closers. This improvement only helped these guys land nice contracts the next season. Now mind you I'm sure pitching in a small baseball market where no one shows up to games takes off some of the stress. Whoever usually takes the closers role in Florida usually has a breakout season.
March 13, 200719 yr Jorge Julio is absolutely terrible. I'll be very disappointed if we go out and get him, along with giving up a prospect or two
March 13, 200719 yr Seemed to do well in his first taste of the NL with a .190 BAA and 55 K in 45 IP If they can eat some contract, I don't see why not give it a whirl.
March 13, 200719 yr no. i don't get what the marlins obession over julio is. every year we seem to be interested in him.
March 13, 200719 yr Jorge Julio is absolutely terrible. I'll be very disappointed if we go out and get him, along with giving up a prospect or two Julio is far from terrible....haha!! Really shows us what you know. The guy had a 12 K/9 IP strikeout rate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sure his ERA has been high in the past but a good indicator of how good a pitcher is the IP/hits ratio which is also very good for Julio's career. Julio does not give up many hits. He K's many. Add in the South Florida heat and I see another Benitez for cheap! Do it in a heartbeat!
March 13, 200719 yr Jorge Julio is absolutely terrible. I'll be very disappointed if we go out and get him, along with giving up a prospect or two Julio is far from terrible....haha!! Really shows us what you know. The guy had a 12 K/9 IP strikeout rate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sure his ERA has been high in the past but a good indicator of how good a pitcher is the IP/hits ratio which is also very good for Julio's career. Julio does not give up many hits. He K's many. Add in the South Florida heat and I see another Benitez for cheap! Do it in a heartbeat! Yea, like omg you are so right. His ERA not being below 4.23 since 2002 is less of an important stat than his 12k/9. last three years his era is 4.92 great, he doesn't give up many hits, he still has a whip hovering around 1.33 or so he is absolutely terrible and even worse considering his paycheck
March 15, 200719 yr Things could be heating up on a Julio deal. Recently posted in the Herald... Marlins talking with reliever Julio BY MIKE PHILLIPS KISSIMMEE -- The Marlins could be on the verge of adding some help in the bullpen. According to sources, the team is talking to the Arizona Diamondbacks about trading for Jorge Julio, who might be the answer to Florida's closer problem. Julio, 28, has been in the big leagues for six seasons and has saved 99 games in 124 opportunities in his career. Julio, a right-hander who pitched for the Mets and Diamondbacks last season, saved 16 of 20 last season (15 of 19 for the Diamondbacks) and had impressive strikeout numbers, fanning 88 in just 66 innings while walking 35. He finished the season 2-4 with a 4.23 ERA, and would give the Marlins some much needed maturity in their young bullpen. He makes $3.6 million, but there is speculation the Marlins would ask Arizona to pick up part of that salary. http://www.miamiherald.com/598/story/42503.html
March 15, 200719 yr Jorge Julio is absolutely terrible. I'll be very disappointed if we go out and get him, along with giving up a prospect or two Julio is far from terrible....haha!! Really shows us what you know. The guy had a 12 K/9 IP strikeout rate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sure his ERA has been high in the past but a good indicator of how good a pitcher is the IP/hits ratio which is also very good for Julio's career. Julio does not give up many hits. He K's many. Add in the South Florida heat and I see another Benitez for cheap! Do it in a heartbeat! Yea, like omg you are so right. His ERA not being below 4.23 since 2002 is less of an important stat than his 12k/9. last three years his era is 4.92 great, he doesn't give up many hits, he still has a whip hovering around 1.33 or so he is absolutely terrible and even worse considering his paycheck Pitching in a pitcher's park will help him greatly....I'm sure you thought Benitez, Todd jones, and Borowski were terrible too before we added them. The South Florida summer heat and our pitcher's park helps ALL pitchers! Especially pitchers will talent and potential like Julio.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.