Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Green about to get traded to the Dolphins

Featured Replies

Sun-sentinel says the trade is about to happen for a second day pick (5th rounder?). Then the dolphins will release culpepper.

 

I dont like culpepper at all, but if the dolphins go into camp with Green and Clemon, they are in big trouble. They should trade up and go after quinn.

The Phins have a knack for acquiring QBs that are damaged goods.

 

If they get Quinn it is a solid/needed move but if they don't....yikes.

  • Author

The Phins have a knack for acquiring QBs that are damaged goods.

 

If they get Quinn it is a solid/needed move but if they don't....yikes.

 

Agreed. If they get quinn then green can play for part of the year, then let quinn play (if they get eliminated early). However if they dont get quinn they are in line for a bad season. The dolphins dont have the best line in the NFL and Green doesnt move alot.

  • Author

He's still a much better QB than Culpepper

 

If he didnt get that serious concussion and not play very well after it, I would agree with you. If he was that good he wouldnt be getting replaced by Brady Croyle/Damon Huard.

 

Its really funny to see dolphin fans go 180 on culpepper.

I still stand by my belief that C-Pep gives our offense the best shot to win this season.

 

I don't get this move, to me, it's really a situation of "the devil we know."

He's still a much better QB than Culpepper

If he was that good he wouldnt be getting replaced by Brady Croyle/Damon Huard.

 

 

I didnt say he was that good.. I just said he was better than Culpepper. In fact, I think Green is pretty bad.

The Dolphins have a lot of improving to do, so if cutting Culpepper to get an equally bad quarterback at a hopefully cheaper price is the route they want to go, I say go for it.

 

I'm not sure about trading up for Quinn. We can't afford to give up draft picks. I'd rather use a 2nd or 3rd rounder to select a QB.

He's still a much better QB than Culpepper

 

If he didnt get that serious concussion and not play very well after it, I would agree with you. If he was that good he wouldnt be getting replaced by Brady Croyle/Damon Huard.

 

Its really funny to see dolphin fans go 180 on culpepper.

 

 

 

that and the chiefs were VERY impressed with what Huard did while he was the starter.

If it's a second day pick it's either a 6th or a 7th. The Dolphins dont have a 5th. And I agree the only way this move works out is if Greene gets paid the Vets minimum and they trade up to draft Quinn.

  • Author

He's still a much better QB than Culpepper

 

If he didnt get that serious concussion and not play very well after it, I would agree with you. If he was that good he wouldnt be getting replaced by Brady Croyle/Damon Huard.

 

Its really funny to see dolphin fans go 180 on culpepper.

 

 

 

that and the chiefs were VERY impressed with what Huard did while he was the starter.

 

He played very well, however he is a career back up. I think herman edwards already decided that croyle will start.

 

If it's a second day pick it's either a 6th or a 7th. The Dolphins dont have a 5th. And I agree the only way this move works out is if Greene gets paid the Vets minimum and they trade up to draft Quinn.

 

The vet min? I dont think a starting nfl QB gets that little. Culpepper is supposed to get 5.5 million, so Green would get somewhere between 3-5 million IMO.

Um nooo. I don't want an old, immobile shell of Trent Green over Daunte Culpepper. Are you kidding? This less than dynamic duo of Cameron and Mueller haven't made one impressive move all offseason. This would probably top it off - until they trade JT, Zach Thomas, and draft a CB with their draft pick. Egh.

Um nooo. I don't want an old, immobile shell of Trent Green over Daunte Culpepper. Are you kidding? This less than dynamic duo of Cameron and Mueller haven't made one impressive move all offseason. This would probably top it off - until they trade JT, Zach Thomas, and draft a CB with their draft pick. Egh.

 

I've never seen any QB less mobile than Daunte was last year, and he's still not healthy enough to participate in minicamps. Why would you want to pay this guy $5.5 million? I know Trent Green isn't so exciting, but he can give you at least as much as Daunte (which honestly may be nothing at all, in Daunte's case) and he can do it for less money.

I like it because I don't expect to compete (I expect us to be competitive, but not in the title hunt) this year, since we are somewhat rebuilding.

 

However, if we get Green, who knows Cam's style, and cut Culpepper, this basically assures that we have to try and draft our future QB this year or next. That's the part I like.

 

Also, I haven't seen anyone mention this, but Jason Allen has been moved exclusively to corner, so we could use another safety.

I would take Green over Culpepper before last year he had not missed a game since 2001. He knows the system and is a good QB to teach a younger guy like Trent Edwards or Drew Stanton whom we most likely could find in the 2nd round.

 

I dont have a problem with this at all for a 6th or 7th round pick.

 

I would like to trade culpepper personally to Oakland if we do get green. They might give up something for him at least.

Um nooo. I don't want an old, immobile shell of Trent Green over Daunte Culpepper. Are you kidding? This less than dynamic duo of Cameron and Mueller haven't made one impressive move all offseason. This would probably top it off - until they trade JT, Zach Thomas, and draft a CB with their draft pick. Egh.

 

I've never seen any QB less mobile than Daunte was last year, and he's still not healthy enough to participate in minicamps. Why would you want to pay this guy $5.5 million? I know Trent Green isn't so exciting, but he can give you at least as much as Daunte (which honestly may be nothing at all, in Daunte's case) and he can do it for less money.

 

It's one thing when you're coming off major knee surgery and another when you're just old. If you want to bring Green in as a back-up while Daunte gets back to 100% then great, but to cut Culpepper after 4 games in a Dolphin uniform without him being healthy? They're making a move without knowing what they'll get out of him. Plus who cares if they have to pay him 5.5 million? They just gave more money to a player they didn't even need (Porter)

Um nooo. I don't want an old, immobile shell of Trent Green over Daunte Culpepper. Are you kidding? This less than dynamic duo of Cameron and Mueller haven't made one impressive move all offseason. This would probably top it off - until they trade JT, Zach Thomas, and draft a CB with their draft pick. Egh.

 

I've never seen any QB less mobile than Daunte was last year, and he's still not healthy enough to participate in minicamps. Why would you want to pay this guy $5.5 million? I know Trent Green isn't so exciting, but he can give you at least as much as Daunte (which honestly may be nothing at all, in Daunte's case) and he can do it for less money.

 

It's one thing when you're coming off major knee surgery and another when you're just old. If you want to bring Green in as a back-up while Daunte gets back to 100% then great, but to cut Culpepper after 4 games in a Dolphin uniform without him being healthy? They're making a move without knowing what they'll get out of him. Plus who cares if they have to pay him 5.5 million? They just gave more money to a player they didn't even need (Porter)

 

cameron doesnt like him

 

it is that simple, he doesnt like him for his system. He was pretty much a goner soon anyways. I would rather trade him even for a 6th or 7th or do a 3 team trade where green comes to us and culpepper to anotehr team and a pick to KC even.

 

But Neither QB is a long term answer either the 36 year old Green or 30 year old Culpepper

The thing is, I'm not sold on Quinn as a franchise QB.

 

And I think this move is a tremendous tremendous failure without having the other shoe fall, so to speak.

 

So, if it's flawed from the outset, and the key to the whole thing (Quinn) isn't a slam dunk, why make the move?

When can we even expect to have Daunte back? His knee problems are worse than we were told. Are we going into the season with Lemon and Daunte on the bench long term?

Well, how long would everyone like to wait for Daunte to reach 100%? He's been healing for a year and a half now. How much more healing do you really expect to happen at this point?

The odds of Daunte being great again are slim.

 

When you talk about us getting rid of him because of his lack of mobility and brining in an even less mobile Trent Green, the comparisons lack substance.

 

Green is a QB who relies on his arm and head, not his legs. Culpepper is a QB who relies on his legs to get extra time for his arm (definitely doesn't rely on his head). If Culpepper is damaged and can't rely on his legs, he will more than likely be in a lot of trouble.

When can we even expect to have Daunte back? His knee problems are worse than we were told. Are we going into the season with Lemon and Daunte on the bench long term?

I had similar surgery to Daunte (remember this discussion last year?) and he will never ever have the same mobility in that leg. He can rehab it everyday for the rest of his career and he will never be how he was before the injury.

  • Author

When can we even expect to have Daunte back? His knee problems are worse than we were told. Are we going into the season with Lemon and Daunte on the bench long term?

 

I guess that also factors in why they want to get green. If Culpepper isnt back for the first few weeks of the season and cleo lemon is forced to start, the dolphins will start off 0-3.

 

For this deal to make sense they better have some sort of draft plan that involves getting a qb. Green wasnt the same after his hit. Maybe the offseason will help him, but he has changed after his concussion.

KC has one of the better Olines in the nfl, as well as LJ and Gonzalez, so we will have to wait and see how effective he will be on the dolphins.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.