Nail-biter!

So I assume Owens is out at closer as the merry-go-round continues in an all hands on deck effort to keep the job ready for Julio to take over when he comes back.

why? id bet henry is out there again in a save situation

Freddi gave his last closer more than one opportunity to blow the game and only after he was removed with the outcome still in question was he removed from his closing duties.

I assume the pattern's the same.

well, julio was given a leash because he had alreay proven himself a decent closer whereas Owens is a rookie. The MO isnt the same here...

I'm happy I didn't watch this game.

you might have been happy that fredi didn't hesitate to take out owens when he was struggling instead of sticking with him.

I like the sound of that. :thumbup

Anyway, based on what I'm reading about tonight and what I've seen recently, I don't think the Marlins should designate one person as closer.

Was Owens ever really officially named the closer by Gonzalez? I don't think he was.

well I don't think he was "annointed" the closer, but they did let it be known Owens would be given a shot. But I think it was understood that a couple guys would be given the chance.

At least in the short term I have no problem with doing a closer by committee, or using different guys on different nights. Let different guys pick each other up. Over time we'll see who's best suited where. In the meantime there's no sense sticking with a guy if he's having an off night.

Problem tonight was that Owens already got the first two outs so I'm sure Freddi thought he could finish it off eventually...

someone on this board (Iowa I believe) likes pinto as our closer. i think he's got closer stuff and mentality. if he could figure out his walk issues he would be a good closer. he doesn't give up homeruns, which is one of the keys in addition to not walking dudes.

Oh god no.

At the most I would add him to our "closer by commitee".

Lindstrom and his wealth of gas has closer "stuff and mentality".

Pinto has fragile written all over him. Just think of all the times he has entered a game and been ineffective.

Tank should be the closer. All of these guys have done a great job in the pen but they are all young. I dont know how they will do when the pressure of the 9th comes around. Owens is a good pitcher but i would rather have him set up. He looked very nervous out there. Pinto is to wild sometimes. I like lindstrom ( he reminds me of Nathan) but i think Tank is the man. Tank is young too but he proved it last year that he can close games. I dont remember his era last year but i think it was in 2's. Tank also does not look fazed out there in the 9th.

Tank :thumbup

Question for the couch potatoes out there. What was the instant replay outcome on Uggla in the 1st inning? Did he miss the tag on Jones? Did he miss the plate on the slide in the bottom of the inning?

Kinda hind sight but I have to wonder why he just stood there after the slide and didn't attempt to touch home again after he saw the ump wasn't making a call. Seemed to me he still had time to hit the plate before the tag was applied but instead was maybe thinking the ump had to mull it over for a while yet. If that was the case then it was another poor base running episode.

Question for the couch potatoes out there. What was the instant replay outcome on Uggla in the 1st inning? Did he miss the tag on Jones? Did he miss the plate on the slide in the bottom of the inning?

Kinda hind sight but I have to wonder why he just stood there after the slide and didn't attempt to touch home again after he saw the ump wasn't making a call. Seemed to me he still had time to hit the plate before the tag was applied but instead was maybe thinking the ump had to mull it over for a while yet. If that was the case then it was another poor base running episode.

It was hard to tell from the replay, but it did look like Jones back away from the tag, and just kind of lost his balance.

But then from the replay of Uggla running home, he DID tag the plate (barely), but before he realized that the ump hadn't called him safe, Pena tagged him.

It was hard to tell from the replay, but it did look like Jones back away from the tag, and just kind of lost his balance.

But then from the replay of Uggla running home, he DID tag the plate (barely), but before he realized that the ump hadn't called him safe, Pena tagged him.

Thanks. Guess that 2nd base ump isn't into the phantom tag thing that so many umps give. Oh well. That play didn't hurt us anyways. And the play at the plate just led to an exciting finish. Hope they don't try to charge me for that railing in front of my seats. I forget how strong my grip can be when the adrenalin gets flowing. LOL

But on another note... Don't know if it showed it on TV but that double by Uggla in the 1st was just short of an error by Diaz. He was there then came back towards the IF a couple steps because apparently he thought it was going higher on the wall. The ball hit right where he was. Him and Jones talked after the throw and then Jones kept looking his way, shaking his head, and smiling after they resumed their positions. It was a funny moment.