Nail-biter!

Hotcorner

WHEW!!!

3 straight! That's one we needed with Dontrelle on the mound. Would've been a devastating loss after being up 8-2.

Not the finish we wanted to see from Owens but it'll be a process sorting out this bullpen. It's still nice to know we have good options to pick from.

There is some serious wood being thrown around though. Uggla and Hanley are rolling.

Hammer with 4 walks. :o

And what a nice job Boone has been doing thus far. :thumbup

3 straight! That's one we needed with Dontrelle on the mound. Would've been a devastating loss after being up 8-2.

Not the finish we wanted to see from Owens but it'll be a process sorting out this bullpen. It's still nice to know we have good options to pick from.

There is some serious wood being thrown around though. Uggla and Hanley are rolling.

Hammer with 4 walks. :o

And what a nice job Boone has been doing thus far. :thumbup

holy crap, i didnt even notice the 4 walks. :o

So I assume Owens is out at closer as the merry-go-round continues in an all hands on deck effort to keep the job ready for Julio to take over when he comes back.

you have to wonder about that. who knows what they're thinking, but it looks that way.

i think of this as extended spring training. first test:

owens - failed

pinto - well, not really stretched out over an inning, but i can live with it. give him another shot.

lindstrom - maybe tomorrow?

tank - closer of the future for us, unless kmart comes in and keeps blowing people away

I would think they'd throw Owens out there again next opportunity. He'd looked great up 'til tonight.

he looked great out there tonight until he got two outs.

So I assume Owens is out at closer as the merry-go-round continues in an all hands on deck effort to keep the job ready for Julio to take over when he comes back.

I don't know if I'd make that connection. Owens getting replaced tonight=Julio returns as closer? I figured we were just trying to win the game, Owens wasn't getting it done, and Pinto had the matchup favor. I'd be shocked to not see Owens out there again in a similar situation.

you have to wonder about that. who knows what they're thinking, but it looks that way.

i think of this as extended spring training. first test:

owens - failed

pinto - well, not really stretched out over an inning, but i can live with it. give him another shot.

lindstrom - maybe tomorrow?

tank - closer of the future for us, unless kmart comes in and keeps blowing people away

I would think they'd throw Owens out there again next opportunity. He'd looked great up 'til tonight.

he looked great out there tonight until he got two outs.

Just pretending my theory is right that they want to keep the job ready for Julio, you're going to see guys put out there who can run into trouble so they can be removed in our quasi-committee situation, so no way in hell do we see Tank get a fair shot.

Now, if we wake up tomorrow and Tank's been anointed the closer (as I have wanted, but understand some having a reluctance to) then all bets are off, so to speak, as I seriously doubt the Marlins would jerk around the best arm in the 'pen, but then again, anything is possible after what I've seen in the recent past.

why? id bet henry is out there again in a save situation

Freddi gave his last closer more than one opportunity to blow the game and only after he was removed with the outcome still in question was he removed from his closing duties.

I assume the pattern's the same.

I really dont think Julio will handed the closer's job immediately if at all. He'd have to really show some good work in rehab and then in middle relief situations. I like the approach I think they're taking...which isnt necessarily a closer by comittee deal, but a situation in which fredi can use matchups effectively like he did tonight with Pinto. Granted he doesnt do that if Owens isnt falling apart.

I really dont think Julio will handed the closer's job immediately if at all. He'd have to really show some good work in rehab and then in middle relief situations. I like the approach I think they're taking...which isnt necessarily a closer by comittee deal, but a situation in which fredi can use matchups effectively like he did tonight with Pinto. Granted he doesnt do that if Owens isnt falling apart.

i like it, too. it's the sort of thing a manager can do when starters consistently pitch into the 7th and 8th inning.

about your comment regarding pinto in the game thread, i agree. i didn't realize he was just as dominant against right handers. that's great. means that his only problem is control. he'd be a good closer imo if he could keep his walks down to around 3-4 per 9ip. unfortunately, his bb ratio is pretty bad.

why? id bet henry is out there again in a save situation

Freddi gave his last closer more than one opportunity to blow the game and only after he was removed with the outcome still in question was he removed from his closing duties.

I assume the pattern's the same.

not sure why you make that assumption. I guess time will tell.

with that said, I don't think Owens has the command to be an effective closer consistenly. I think Lindstrom or Tank will end up being the closer.

At this point, I hope Fredi isn't committed to anyone. I liked his willingless to pull Henry out of the game.

Can't agree more. Julio won't be the closer until he can get people out consistently.