The Book Thread

EndLine

This could work. :mischief

I'm starting to read graphic novels for the first time. Starting with Moore, obviously.

Other than that, I'm still plowing through Martin's ASoIaF. I also bought "Of Mice and Men" today because it was mentioned on Lost and it's a book that can be read fairly quickly. Usually it's assigned for high school but I was never required to read it.

I've got Fear and Loathing as my next book.

Its sad that it has taken me nearly 23 years of life to get around to that. I'm looking forward to it.

Great book. One of the few landmark pieces of American literature. It can be a task to read, just because it's so draining. There's jsut so much to digest, I often read a few pages and had to re-read them because I didn't remember a thing about them. If you like it, try out Rum Diary. It's a semi-biographical piece about HST when he was a reporter in Puerto Rico. I also might suggest "On the Road" by Jack Keroauc. It's written in a similar vein.

I just finished The Raw Shark Texts, it was a book that was getting a lot of hype, but I didn't think it was that great. The second half was really cliche and kind of boring. Next up is I,Lucifer thanks to a recommendation in the chat thread by I think the Bobs?

Like others in this thread, I read way too much.

Next up is I,Lucifer thanks to a recommendation in the chat thread by I think the Bobs?

Like others in this thread, I read way too much.

:cheers

Enjoy it! I'm thinking about reading it again pretty soon, once I get through Fargo Rock City by Chuck Klosterman.

To anyone who is fanatical about pop music (or, in the case of Fargo Rock City, 80's glam metal), or really just fanatical about pop culture, Klosterman is a great read. Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs is probably the best book to start with, but Killing Yourself To Live is one of my favorite books by him.

5. Frank McCourt - Angela's Ashes

Have you read Teacher Man?

I think it was even better than Ashes.

Here's another top 5 books list, probably different from the one I posted in Chat:

1. Life of Pi

2. Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff Christ's Childhood Pal

3. High Fidelity

4. Me Talk Pretty One Day

5. Sex Drugs and Cocoa Puffs

I can't really pick my favorite books. There are so many out there, I often neglect the classics (Great Gatsby and Catcher in the Rye, which I love) for more contemporary stuff...

I just got done reading Management by Baseball by Jeff Angus.

Now I'm reading The Baseball Economist.

I've got a few lined up. As you can see, I've been sticking to non-fiction type stuff -- mostly stuff about management and business. Baseball happens to be an interesting subject, so there you go.

A favorite book list is so hard to compile, but if I had to give it a go, at the moment it'd be:

1. The Count of Monte Cristo

2. Beowulf

3. V for Vendetta

4. Cat's Cradle

5. Survivor

I just recently finished Rant, Chuck Palahniuk's new book, and have since started and am halfway through No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy (which is absolutely excellent).

After that I'm reading Blood Meridian, also by McCarthy, followed by Batman: Dark Victory.

Really looking forward to the new Harry Potter book, as lame as that may be.

I'm with ya bro. I'm re-reading the 5th one right now, this is my 5th time reading the 5th book..some would say I'm obsessed.

Well I mean, that is the best of the HP books so I don't think anyone would fault you too much for that. :p I've read 1984 like 5 or 6 times so I'm pretty much the same way.

And like I said earlier, I did pick up Dying to Win and Rant earlier today so I'll have some reading to enjoy over the next little bit here.