Dodgers All You Can Eat Seats

Guest FishFanInPA

Guest FishFanInPA

LOS ANGELES -- Right field at Dodger Stadium used to feature cheap seats. This year, there will be lots of food and seats that are no longer cheap.

The Los Angeles Dodgers are converting their right-field pavilion into all-you-can-eat bleachers. Takers will have access to as many hot dogs, peanuts, popcorn, nachos and soft drinks as they want.

"Instead of paying cash, fans ask for whatever they want, and they get it. There are going to be some self-service parts, buffet-style, as well," said Dodgers executive vice president and chief operating officer Marty Greenspun.

Around 3,000 seats right-field seats will be sold for $35 in advance and $40 on game day with the all-you-can-eat special.

Left-field tickets, meanwhile, will sell for $10.

The stadium's cheapest seats, in the top deck, will go for $10 next season instead of $6.

Greenspun said the Dodgers tested the all-you-can-eat concept three times late last season.

"The response was overwhelmingly positive," he said.

A few other teams have had all-you-can-eat sections.

"The St. Louis Cardinals have done it," Greenspun said. "It hasn't been anything of this size."

In addition, he said, "the other ballparks charge a higher rate than this."

There are limitations. The food booths open 90 minutes before games and close two hours after it begins. And if someone asks for 100 Dodger Dogs, that won't fly.

"If a person goes up there and asks for four for his family, he won't be told no," said Camille Johnston, the Dodgers senior vice president of communications.

All-you-can-eat isn't exactly the most health-conscious concept these days, but as Greenspun put it: "We're offering a fan amenity. Fans can elect to choose it or not choose it. We are offering basic ballpark fare that most fans enjoy."

Besides, the most fattening foods -- beer, ice cream and candy -- aren't part of the package. They will be sold at regular ballpark prices.

OUTSTANDING :thumbup

Interesting. So basicall its only a good deal if you can eat over 25 dollars worth of food. A coke is probably 3-4 dollars. Hot dogs are about 5. If they had sausages or burgers it would be a better deal.

I would easily pay 80 if it was all you can drink and eat. I went to a redsox game last week and spend 42 dollars on six beers. I could have bought TWO 30 packs of coors light and it would have been less!

Beer prices at games is the biggest 'scam' going.

They could probably get away with a lot more and I and 90% of everyone else would still pay it.

thats the sad thing. I remember just a few years ago beer was $5 a game and that is alot. Then they raised it to 5.50, 5.75, etc... People keep paying it. I went to a panthers game in march and my friend bought a 10 dollar 20 ounce president beer! In 2002 I was at staples center and saw a 10 dollar heineken. I wonder what it is now.

Eventually there will be a point where people will just show up drunk to a game rather then buying 15 dollar beers.

They could probably get away with a lot more and I and 90% of everyone else would still pay it.

My uncle is an executive with Anheuser-Busch and he took me to a playoff game a couple years ago in Anaheim. We were standing in line for some beers and he was explaining to me that for such a big account the cost per cup is somewhere around $0.60. They were selling for $9 that night and the line was huge.

My uncle is an executive with Anheuser-Busch and he took me to a playoff game a couple years ago in Anaheim. We were standing in line for some beers and he was explaining to me that for such a big account the cost per cup is somewhere around $0.60. They were selling for $9 that night and the line was huge.

I'd think it is even lower than 60 cents a cup. 20 cents is probably just from the actual cup alone.

is that price how much it costs the beer company to make it, or the stadium to buy it from the company?

Drinks in general are huge moneymakers for any business.

I remember when I was 16 and worked in fast food the manager showed us the price of the soft drink syrup + a plastic or paper cup was less then 20? a pop and places were charging 2-4 dollars for them.