Brawl of Fame

Juan Rodriguez posted this topic in his blog here.

Since no one got hurt and nothing really escalated during Thursday's near scrumb against the Phillies, thought we could have a little fun with the theme. Give me the nine former or current Marlins you would want on the field during a brawl. How about a player at each position, plus a couple of relievers charging in from the bullpen. Here's my lineup:

SP -- Brian Moehler. He's soft spoken, but the burly right-hander has that football player mentality. I remember him being the first one out of the dugout whenever there was at the first sign of a possible dust-up.

C -- Miguel Olivo. Has shown he can play through pain, plus he may be one of the strongest players ever to wear a Marlins uniform.

1B -- Darren Daulton. Derrek Lee should probably get the nod here on the simple basis of physique, but Daulton was a big guy as well who had a tough guy aire about him.

2B -- Dan Uggla. Not a lot of great choices here. Uggla may be too nice a guy to be of much use in a brawl, but he's stocky, probably has a good, low center of gravity and can body block some people.

SS -- Alex Gonzalez. Great athlete and super quick. Remember when he went at it with Phillies catcher Todd Pratt a few years back? It looked like Gonzalez had a boxing background.

3B -- Bobby Bonilla. He grew up in New York and once threatened to use the finer points of that upbringing on a Mets beat writer.

LF -- Jeff Conine. Mr. Marlin looks harmless, but anybody who can crush a racketball like he does is worthy of a spot in this lineup. If nothing else, he can petrify opponents with his frothy, barking dog immitation.

CF -- Alfredo Amezaga. Not the biggest dude to ever roam center field for the Fish, but he just strikes me as a relentless scrapper.

RF -- Gary Sheffield. Another guy who grew up in a tough inner city neighborhood (Tampa). Nobody wants to mess with Sheff.

My bullpen armada...Ron Villone ("Big Rig" nickname matches his build), Vic Darensbourg (Don't let the thin frame fool you), Rudy Seanez (Keeps in shape by powerlifting).

[\quote]

Thoughts??? Additions/Subtratctions??

Brad Penny anyone? Messenger's gotta be on there. I wouldn't want to mess with Renyel Pinto. Carl Pavano pwned David Bell, but that's not saying much.

and Sea Bass did not impress me in his brawl with Pratt, he looked like he knew what he was doing but he missed all the punches he threw, so did Pratt though. I might go with Kurt Abbott at SS, I believe he's a cop now.

That 2002 team may not have beaten you in the scoreboard, but they could kick your ass.

Floyd, Lee...even Graeme Lloyd seemed like he just wanted to kick someone's ass.

Plus, the pitchers have to throw 95+ to be on the squad, since that's where the brawls escalate.

Guest Night Phantom

Lots of people from our old staff would be great. I'd love to have Penny, Beckett, and Burnett for a fight. Also have to think that people like Brian Harvey, Rob Nenn, and Antonio Alfonseca would be awesome for these things.

What about Scott Olsen? Everyone's forgetting he was the first one to the front lines yesterday. If we're fighting the Phillies I definitely want Scotty O out there. Plus Dontrelle and his bat (SEE: Marlins v. Red Sox, 2003 Boston Massacre).

Justin Miller seems like a badass, im sure Nen or Lindstrom can punch pretty hard, Urbina is a murderer, that might give give a mental edge...

That's a good call on Urbina. Mental edge noted.

How about Franklin Germain for height and size advantage.

And Eric Reed for last man chosen for the fight team from the entire history of the Marlins.

What about Scott Olsen? Everyone's forgetting he was the first one to the front lines yesterday. If we're fighting the Phillies I definitely want Scotty O out there.

He'd be the first in the fight, and first on the floor

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

LOL Good one

Justin Miller seems like a badass, im sure Nen or Lindstrom can punch pretty hard, Urbina is a murderer, that might give give a mental edge...

That's a good call on Urbina. Mental edge noted.

How about Franklin Germain for height and size advantage.

And Eric Reed for last man chosen for the fight team from the entire history of the Marlins.

It has to be Urbina. He'll come running out with a tank of gas and a machete.