Ignorance and ESPN

catchoftheday

I knwo the main three sports that are shown on espn are: Baseball, Nascar, Basketball and a bit of Golf ... until american football season start and then after that you are lucky to see anything else.

to their completle homerism to those sports they make an effort of to show Tennis, they showed highlights of the french open yet they managed to go overboard on the ignorance factor. I understand that to most casual fans tennis is nothng but Federer & Nadal with an outside sprinkles of Roddick for the american factor ,but for example Federer was playing Davydenko (NUMBER 4 in the world) and they didnt even give this guy a prop considering that this was an amazing grueling match that lasted over 3 hours and could have gone either way. saying that you will probably never hear this guy's name ever again.

Then on the Nadal vs Djokovic (NUMBER 6 in the wold) they were at again. not giving the guy who only a couple of weeks ago beat nadal and then went on to win the sony erikkson on US soil, but to say things to the extend of " nice kid you made it to the semifinals but who the hell are you" sounds so ignorant.

I understand the favortism but dont sound ignorant in the process

I HATE ESPN

:confused

/rant

Don't watch.

I still wnat to see the highlights

is that your answer to all problems in life? ... ignore them?

About those two guys in the French Open, theyre nobodies compared to Federer and Nadal. They are the only two tennis players that matter, so who cares if those two guys get the shaft?

i coudl understand if they are not in the top 10 but the number 4 & 6 should matter because they have beaten those players before

hell Djokovic could be a number 1 in a couple of years, he is THAT good and he is only 19 years old

I dont watch anymore because it is horrible and makes my blood pressure rise. Half of it is that they really dont know much of anything and the other half is that they are trying to be funny and they happen to think theyre hilarious.

exactly,

I dont care if dont show it but if you do at least try to sound smart about it.

Bottom line is ESPN is supposed to be a newstation not MTV

The American public as a whole doeesn't give a sh!t about tennis, especially when you consider there was no Americans. As Fox said, if you don't like ti don't watch. It's not like we're in the early 90s and the only highlights you can get are from ESPN. You can get about any highlight you want on the internet, and there also is the FSN Final Score.

Don't watch.

I still wnat to see the highlights

is that your answer to all problems in life? ... ignore them?When it comes to television programming that I don't like, yes it is.

If you still watch but don't like the way ESPN handles their programming, highlights, coverage, etc. why would they ever change if they are pulling in the same ratings no matter what they do? I don't understand why people haven't grasped this concept.

I don't watch Sportscenter much at all anymore because I think it sucks. There are so many more ways to gather information then have Stuart Scott yell at me.

How is you continuing to watch affecting this percieved problem?

The only way things will change is if ratings dip and in turn advertising revenue dips as well.

We live in 2007 and obviously you use the internet so utilize it to your advantage.

Here are more extensive highlights then ESPN will give you with no annoying commentary over them:

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/multimed...;promo=homepage

About those two guys in the French Open, theyre nobodies compared to Federer and Nadal. They are the only two tennis players that matter, so who cares if those two guys get the shaft?

i coudl understand if they are not in the top 10 but the number 4 & 6 should matter because they have beaten those players before

hell Djokovic could be a number 1 in a couple of years, he is THAT good and he is only 19 years old

And nobody in ESPNs target audience cares

I dont watch anymore because it is horrible and makes my blood pressure rise. Half of it is that they really dont know much of anything and the other half is that they are trying to be funny and they happen to think theyre hilarious.

exactly,

I dont care if dont show it but if you do at least try to sound smart about it.

Bottom line is ESPN is supposed to be a newstation not MTV

ESPN is not supposed to be a newsstation. What do you think the E stands for?

The MTV comparison is bogus. At least ESPN still shows what the S stands for, while MTV now basically has nothing to do with the M in its name

The American public as a whole doeesn't give a sh!t about tennis, especially when you consider there was no Americans. As Fox said, if you don't like ti don't watch. It's not like we're in the early 90s and the only highlights you can get are from ESPN. You can get about any highlight you want on the internet, and there also is the FSN Final Score.

American public does give a sh*t about tennis if not there wouldnt be such a market for it. Whats with people thinking that the only sports that america cares about are the sports that sportscenter shows. bunch of sheeps we are

the problem is the lack of culture by the public & fantasy sports

yes I said it, fantasy sports RUINED any other sport where stats are not measurred and/or logged in a book.

ignorance is bliss

I knwo the main three sports that are shown on espn are: Baseball, Nascar, Basketball and a bit of Golf ... until american football season start and then after that you are lucky to see anything else.

to their completle homerism to those sports they make an effort of to show Tennis, they showed highlights of the french open yet they managed to go overboard on the ignorance factor. I understand that to most casual fans tennis is nothng but Federer & Nadal with an outside sprinkles of Roddick for the american factor ,but for example Federer was playing Davydenko (NUMBER 4 in the world) and they didnt even give this guy a prop considering that this was an amazing grueling match that lasted over 3 hours and could have gone either way. saying that you will probably never hear this guy's name ever again.

Then on the Nadal vs Djokovic (NUMBER 6 in the wold) they were at again. not giving the guy who only a couple of weeks ago beat nadal and then went on to win the sony erikkson on US soil, but to say things to the extend of " nice kid you made it to the semifinals but who the hell are you" sounds so ignorant.

I understand the favortism but dont sound ignorant in the process

I HATE ESPN

:confused

/rant

imo, no one else matters on the men's tour besides Nadal and Federer

There's no reason to show the Davydenkos, Baghdatis', Djokovics of the world until they show that it isn't a 2 horse race every week

Guest Night Phantom

PTI, Bill Simmons, and Peter Gammons are the only things ESPN is good for anymore.

And you can get all three without watching a second of them on tv.

American public does give a sh*t about tennis if not there wouldnt be such a market for it. Whats with people thinking that the only sports that america cares about are the sports that sportscenter shows. bunch of sheeps we are

yes I said it, fantasy sports RUINED any other sport where stats are not measurred and/or logged in a book.

ignorance is bliss

Some people care about tennis, but not all. I consider myself an above average sports fan. I have never heard of Davydenko or Djokovic, nor do I care about them. I saw a few of the highlights they showed last night and to tell you the truth I didnt even remember who Nadal beat until I read this post. Tennis isnt very high in the pecking order, thats why you see it qet sqeezed.

ignorance is bliss

Yes, the only sports America cares about is what SportsCenter shows. Not because the public is a bunch of sheeps following ESPN, but because if America didnt care about it, SC wouldnt show it.

You act like you should be the last word on what ESPN should show because youre so cultured and everyone else in America is so ignorant. Thats bulls***

Novak Djokovic is not only the world #6 (after the French Open he'll most likely be in the top 4 or 5), but he has won as many Masters Series Tournaments in 2007 as "Golden Boy" Roger Federer. what I don't agree with is saying that this kid is a nobody and will never be seen again. It's the same as if ESPN Deportes (want a real SportsCenter??) highlights a Tiger Woods win by saying that he beat out some guy named Phil Mickelson. Never heard of him. It is true, the American audience only cares for Football, Golf, NASCAR, and sometimes baseball. The NBA?? Now that it's gone global and most of the best players are NOT American, people here don't really seem to care about it much anymore. The NBA Finals got less coverage than the "lead up" to the NFL Draft. Why the hell do I need to know that JaMarcus Russell is going #1 a full 5 months before the draft. Not only that, but they feel the need to remind you everyday for the next 5 months with an hourly show. Football is only American, like NASCAR, and Golf, and don't say that Golf is a world sport cause it's not.

In the end, I do wish that they would show more of the things going on in the rest of the world right now, that just what is going on here.

ignorance is bliss

Yes, the only sports America cares about is what SportsCenter shows. Not because the public is a bunch of sheeps following ESPN, but because if America didnt care about it, SC wouldnt show it.

You act like you should be the last word on what ESPN should show because youre so cultured and everyone else in America is so ignorant. Thats bulls***

Ding.

Novak Djokovic is not only the world #6 (after the French Open he'll most likely be in the top 4 or 5), but he has won as many Masters Series Tournaments in 2007 as "Golden Boy" Roger Federer. what I don't agree with is saying that this kid is a nobody and will never be seen again. It's the same as if ESPN Deportes (want a real SportsCenter??) highlights a Tiger Woods win by saying that he beat out some guy named Phil Mickelson. Never heard of him. It is true, the American audience only cares for Football, Golf, NASCAR, and sometimes baseball. The NBA?? Now that it's gone global and most of the best players are NOT American, people here don't really seem to care about it much anymore. The NBA Finals got less coverage than the "lead up" to the NFL Draft. Why the hell do I need to know that JaMarcus Russell is going #1 a full 5 months before the draft. Not only that, but they feel the need to remind you everyday for the next 5 months with an hourly show. Football is only American, like NASCAR, and Golf, and don't say that Golf is a world sport cause it's not.

In the end, I do wish that they would show more of the things going on in the rest of the world right now, that just what is going on here.

Last time I checked Phil Mickelson had won some majors. Has Djokovic won any? (I dont know the answer). Some sports are just not that popular and tennis is one of them. If Djokovic wins some majors, I am sure he will get air time. The bottom line is that ESPN is ratings driven. The NFL draft gets higher ratings than the NBA finals, thats why you see more coverage for the draft. In January I was up in canada, and sportscenter there was 70% hockey, 20% NFL playoffs and the rest other sports. Why is it like that? Because thats what people in canada want to see.

BTW I agree with one thing, I wish they didnt cover golf as much. Its really the worst sport to watch on tv.

Guest Night Phantom

Yesterday ESPN led off Sportcenter with Paris Hilton being thrown back in jail...I swear to all of you I almost threw my remote at the tv.

Please tell me you're joking

Last time I checked Phil Mickelson had won some majors. Has Djokovic won any? (I dont know the answer). Some sports are just not that popular and tennis is one of them. If Djokovic wins some majors, I am sure he will get air time. The bottom line is that ESPN is ratings driven. The NFL draft gets higher ratings than the NBA finals, thats why you see more coverage for the draft. In January I was up in canada, and sportscenter there was 70% hockey, 20% NFL playoffs and the rest other sports. Why is it like that? Because thats what people in canada want to see.

BTW I agree with one thing, I wish they didnt cover golf as much. Its really the worst sport to watch on tv.

all you have to do is read the first line to find your answer

:banghead

Ha.

http://golf.about.com/od/teamcompetitions/...rcupresults.htm

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.