Not yet one mention...

Of Hanley Ramirez or Dan Uggla yet on the All-Star show. BOTH were snubbed, and still a good 20 minutes into the National League Selections they haven't been brought up once.

This is slightly ridiculous. EVERYONE knows Miguel should have started, but I just can't see how Hanley and Dan can play in the same infield and be so ignored.

It's because the Marlins don't have a big fan base. End of story. They didn't get enough votes, because of the lack of fans at the games.

I agree Hanley and Uggla should have gone, but I honestly think Miggy is better as a backup and IS NOT the BEST third baseman in the NL, even though he is ONE OF the best.

It's because the Marlins don't have a big fan base. End of story. They didn't get enough votes, because of the lack of fans at the games.

I agree Hanley and Uggla should have gone, but I honestly think Miggy is better as a backup and IS NOT the BEST third baseman in the NL, even though he is ONE OF the best.

What do fans have to do with reserves?

Not just at the games. On the internet too. 80% of the votes came in through the internet last year, and the fact that we couldn't even get that is sad.

Player G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB OBP SLG AVG

1. M Cabrera 78 301 49 99 22 2 17 57 176 .392 .585 .329

2. D Wright 79 299 46 86 20 1 14 44 150 .377 .502 .288

Now honestly tell me that Wright deserved to beat Miggie.

Are you on crack?

You smoke crack cocaine.

I think Uggla got jobbed worse than Hanley.

Face it, there were 4-5 SSs in the NL who had a legit case. I can live with Reyes and JJ Hardy making the team. Uggla should have made definitely made it, though.

Don't think Freddy Sanchez should have made it, but Orlando Hudson's more deserving than Uggla:

O-Dog only has 7 HRs to Uggla's 17, but his BA is 50 points higher, and OPS is 22 points higher.

Yeah, to me Hanley got jobbed worse than anyone.

It's not a tough case to make that he's better than the starting short-stop, yet he doesn't even get a spot on the roster.

Hanley's #2 among NL SS in BA (Renteria) #2 in OPS (Renteria) #2 in SB's (Reyes) #1 in SB% (min 20 attempts) #2 in runs (Rollins) #2 in RC (Reyes) #1 in RC/27.

Seriously, he's such a super-snub it's nauseating.

I guess Uggla would've been there, but Pirates need someone, and Freddy Sanchez is the 2nd best pick there (Gorzelanny would've been a much better pick, he was actually deserving in the first place)

My immediate reaction when I saw they didn't make it was outrage, but you really can't take anything away from Hudson or Hardy. If anything, they should've just added more SS's on the NL.

Hanley's defense probably hurt his chances more than anything. He's committed the second highest number of errors out of all major league shortstops. Hitting is just one part of being an all-star.

Errors are a tremendously flukey stat (most of Hanley's are throwing errors that a league average 1st baseman turns into outs). The only SS who I give the absolute nod to over Hanley defensively is Hardy. Renteria's tremendously overrated, as is Reyes.

Now, Hanley's not going to win a gold-glove this year, but neither are any of the other guys going or who should be going.

Guest FishFanInPA

Something tells me that .250 batting average (and perhaps the high number of K's) is what kept Uggla off the team.

Ding Ding Ding.....Logic finally prevails!!!

But isn't that the scorekeeper's job, to determine if it was a throwing error on the fielder, or a missed catch by the first baseman. Then, after making the assessment, the scorer gives the error to the proper player. So, how then, can you say that a league average first baseman would cut down on Hanley's errors? If it's the first baseman's fault for Hanley's errors, wouldn't the scorekeeper just give the error to the first baseman?

Something tells me that .250 batting average (and perhaps the high number of K's) is what kept Uggla off the team.

Don't know about that. Grady Sizemore's only got 3 fewer Ks and he made the all-star team. Miggy and Prince Fielder are up there too.

Sizemore is hitting 35 points higher and has 23 SBS.

Miggy's avg. is like 70 points higher.

Fielder has 10 more homers and is hitting 30 points higher.

I didn't mean JUST K's kept him off the team, but it may have been in combo with his avg.

Guest CrimsonCane

Hitting is just one part of being an all-star.

Tell that to starting AL 1B David Ortiz.

The fact that Hanley didn't make this team is a joke.

The fan selection, 1 player per team minimum, and home field advantage are all absolutely terrible aspects of this game.

But isn't that the scorekeeper's job, to determine if it was a throwing error on the fielder, or a missed catch by the first baseman. Then, after making the assessment, the scorer gives the error to the proper player. So, how then, can you say that a league average first baseman would cut down on Hanley's errors? If it's the first baseman's fault for Hanley's errors, wouldn't the scorekeeper just give the error to the first baseman?

Scoring decisions are by the book.

If the throw is in the dirt and Boone is unable to pick it, no matter how easy the pick may be, if he doesn't record an out, the errors on the thrower (in this example, Hanley) eventhough it shouldn't really be his error.

In the game of baseball, it's incredibly hard to have an error charged to you if you are the recipient of a throw.

Hell, the whole process of error scoring is beyond arbitrary, for example, Hanley had a ball roll off his glove/arm this afternoon that was scored a hit. Even I (the most passionate Hanley supporter) could see that it should be an error, but it wasn't. To evaluate a player's defensive ability on errors is foolish.