7/4/2007 -- Marlins at Padres -- 9:05 PM EDT

CapeFish

Josh Johnson, RHP (0-3, 10.97) @ Chris Young, RHP (8-3, 2.14)

Scouting Report:

Marlins: Facing Atlanta in his previous outing, Johnson suffered his third defeat in three starts since coming off the disabled list, lasting just four innings in a blowout loss. He allowed five hits, five walks and two runs to the Braves -- and the damage would have been worse had Atlanta not stranded eight runners while Johnson was in the game. Johnson is still working his way back into the form that made him a 12-game winner as a rookie in 2006, and Florida manager Fredi Gonzalez has stressed patience with the burly right-hander, calling the first few starts he makes "his Spring Training." This is Johnson's first career appearance against the Padres.

Padres: Young overcame a semi-rocky start in his last outing on June 29 against the Dodgers when he allowed two runs over the first three innings and appeared at times to be troubled by the Los Angeles running game that produced five stolen bases during the six innings he pitched. It was only the second time in Young?s last nine starts that he has allowed two or more earned runs in a start. But Young still managed to his share of batters out, striking out nine over six innings with just one walk. Of the runs he allowed, several came on hits that Young felt were actually got pitches. His ERA going into his final start before the All-Star break is 2.14.

Venue: PETCO Park in San Diego, California

Time: 9:05 PM EDT

TV: FSN Florida HD (Marlins) & Channel 4 HD (Padres)

Radio: 560 WQAM (Marlins English)/1140 WQBA (Marlins Spanish) & XPRS (Padres English)/XEMO (Padres Spanish)

XM: 189 (XPRS feed)

Next 5 Games:

The Marlins are officially 2/1 underdogs in tonite's game. For those who don't know, that's an unusually high underdog. Most of the time the underdog is in the 6/5-8/5 range. Still, with JJ yet to show MLB form this year, and against a very good Young, it's probably too low. I would have been tempted to wager on the Marlins if they were 3/1 underdogs, under the theory that anything can happen. But I have to pass on tonite's game wagering wise, and just root for the Marlins as usual.

The Marlins are officially 2/1 underdogs in tonite's game. For those who don't know, that's an unusually high underdog. Most of the time the underdog is in the 6/5-8/5 range. Still, with JJ yet to show MLB form this year, and against a very good Young, it's probably too low. I would have been tempted to wager on the Marlins if they were 3/1 underdogs, under the theory that anything can happen. But I have to pass on tonite's game wagering wise, and just root for the Marlins as usual.

Its funny you mention that.

This is one of those games that would appear to be a LOCK for the Padres. And you and I both know, there is no such thing as a lock. If I had a way to make a wager (thank you Mr.President) I would definitely make a play on the Marlins tonight (not because I think they will win, but because its one of those games that by all means the Padres should win).