7/05-Marlins at Padres-3:35 PM-Kim v.s. Peavy

Nny

Byung-Hyun Kim: 3-4 5.19 ERA 40K/34BB 1.60 WHIP

V.S.

Jake Peavy: 9-2 2.09 ERA 119K/31BB 1.05 WHIP

Jake Peavy is a candidate to start for the NL in next week's All-Star game, but he'll first try to head into the break with another victory.

Peavy looks for his 10th win of the season when he takes the mound on Thursday as the San Diego Padres wrap up their four-game series with the Florida Marlins.

The Padres (48-35) defeated the Marlins 1-0 on Wednesday, as Mike Cameron scored on an error by catcher Miguel Olivo with no outs in the ninth inning. With the bases loaded, Kevin Kouzmanoff hit a grounder to Florida third baseman Miguel Cabrera, who threw home, but Olivo was thinking about turning a double play and dropped the ball as Cameron scored.

San Diego posted its major league-leading 12th shutout, and has won four games by the score of 1-0 this season.

The first-place Padres have won six of eight, and own a one-game lead over the second-place Los Angeles Dodgers in the NL West.

Peavy (9-2, 2.09 ERA) has been a big reason for San Diego's success this season, as the Padres are 13-4 in his starts.

Peavy, who was selected to his second All-Star game on Sunday, is second in the NL in strikeouts (119) and third in ERA. NL manager Tony La Russa of St. Louis will likely decide between Peavy and Brad Penny of the Los Angeles Dodgers to start Tuesday's All-Star game at San Francisco.

"I really hadn't given that any thought," Peavy said after facing Penny his last time out. "If it happens, it happens. It'll be an honor, and whatever way Tony goes, you can't blame the guy."

On Saturday, the right-hander gave up one run and five hits in seven innings of the Padres' 3-1, 12-inning win over the Dodgers.

San Diego has won just four of its last 12 home games, but Peavy is 5-2 with a 2.95 ERA in 10 starts at Petco Park this season, with the Padres winning eight of those contests.

Peavy had one of his best starts of the season against the Marlins (39-46) on May 6, giving up an unearned run, one hit and striking out 10 in seven innings of a 3-1 victory. He is 3-3 with a 3.03 ERA in six career starts against them.

Peavy opposed Boston's Josh Beckett - the possible AL starting pitcher for the All-Star game - on June 24, and after back-to-back marquee pitching matchups, the Padres ace looks to avoid a letdown when he squares off against Byung-Hyun Kim (3-4, 5.19) on Thursday.

Kim hasn't won since May 28 against the Chicago Cubs, going 0-2 with a 5.22 ERA in his last six games.

The right-hander pitched well on Saturday, allowing one run and four hits in 6 1-3 innings, but did not receive a decision in Florida's 6-5 loss to Atlanta.

Kim is 3-2 with six saves and a 3.55 ERA in 26 games - one start - against the Padres. In his only start against them, he gave up one run, five hits and struck out seven in 7 2-3 innings of a 3-1 victory for Colorado on July 28 of last season.

The Marlins have lost eight of their last 11 games, and were shut out for the fourth time on Wednesday. Cabrera, Florida's first four-time All-Star, was hitless in four at-bats on Wednesday, and is only 2-for-14 with seven strikeouts against Peavy.

Tonight we become Legends

Just fabulous baseball Jeremy. Maybe if you bothered to actually run instead of saunter over like you were hoping the number 10 bus would show up soon you know where the freakin' ball way. God, what a waste of so-called talent. :thumbdown .

"Ooooooohhhhhhh they hit the wall over here somewhere.....should have kept my eye on it...ooooooohhhhhhh what sure I do? What should I do?"

Just fabulous baseball Jeremy. Maybe if you bothered to actually run instead of saunter over like you were hoping the number 10 bus would show up soon you know where the freakin' ball way. God, what a waste of so-called talent. :thumbdown .

"Ooooooohhhhhhh they hit the wall over here somewhere.....should have kept my eye on it...ooooooohhhhhhh what sure I do? What should I do?"

Just another excuse to jump all over Hermida. The ball was in the middle of the players under chairs, and noone thought it was important enough to get up. But yea blame Hermida

Just another excuse to jump all over Hermida. The ball was in the middle of the players under chairs, and noone thought it was important enought to get up. But yea blame Hermida

Seriously. I'm not defending Hermida but the ball was under PINTO for God's sake.

seriously does hermida run? all he does is lope.

You're being generous.

I suspect (and it's just supposition) that the bullpen's apparent disinterest was in helping Hermida spoke volumes about he's perceived by his teammates.

Haha what are you smoking? Yea the bullpen wanted to teach Hermida a lesson on his hustle so they thought they would hurt the whole team and not move.