Scouts' Views on Olsen and Hermida

And if you truly believe Loria hired less than a great medical staff you are off your rocker. Hate all you want on Loria, and it appears you do, the man still wants to make money. And he can't make money if his talent is on the shelf.

Gotta use your head, man.

Dude, he makes money hand over fist with the revenue sharing, he doesn't make squat with ticket sales. He gets his money no matter who is playing for the team. If he ran all A-AA players out there he would still make a ton of money. And from what I have seen of him so far, he's capable of doing that.

Loria may be a cheapskate but he is also a baseball fan. He wants to win and win bad. Why on Earth would he purposely have Olsen, Johnson, Owens, KMart, Sanchez, Nolasco, Jacobs, Boone, Cabrera, Hermida, and even Sean West on the shelf?

That makes no sense, man.

Yes, it's major league baseball conspiring to give Miami a baseball team, but to torture the fans there with firesales and injuring their players.

....what?

Then you explain to me how MLB can't get things straight down here after 15 years ???? Why did Selig send Loria to us instead of keeping him with the Montreal franchise ? They will have a new stadium and we don't ? How could they get ot done with NO OWNER (until very late last year, after the stadium was started) and our owner goes out and courts other cities instead of working harder than ever to get the stadium deal done ????

And if you truly believe Loria hired less than a great medical staff you are off your rocker. Hate all you want on Loria, and it appears you do, the man still wants to make money. And he can't make money if his talent is on the shelf.

Dude, he makes money hand over fist with the revenue sharing, he doesn't make squat with ticket sales. He gets his money no matter who is playing for the team. If he ran all A-AA players out there he would still make a ton of money. And from what I have seen of him so far, he's capable of doing that.

Loria may be a cheapskate but he is also a baseball fan. He wants to win and win bad. Why on Earth would he purposely have Olsen, Johnson, Owens, KMart, Sanchez, Nolasco, Jacobs, Boone, Cabrera, Hermida, and even Sean West on the shelf?

I don't say he did it on purpose, but he cut back on training staff, so and gambled that we wouldn't have injuries, so he can save some money. Its well known he keeps a smaller staff than most other MLB franchises, maybe even THE smallest. I read it in The Sporting News last year in one of the issues. They were comparing MLB Orgainiaztions and of course the Marlins were # 30 of 30. The WORST organization and one of the complaints in the story was that Loria cut back on almost every area of the team, including the office staff. Loria is CHEAP. And he's getting away with it, and pocketing MILLIONS a year having a bargan-basement staff & players. He force Beinfest to get rid of the players we have now starting next year, when they have to start their arbitration years. He'll force us to do this as long as he is the owner.

Its such a conumdrum....a totally dichotomy. I love the Marlins but I hate the ownership fircely !

Guest CrimsonCane

Yes, it's major league baseball conspiring to give Miami a baseball team, but to torture the fans there with firesales and injuring their players.

....what?

Then you explain to me how MLB can't get things straight down here after 15 years ???? Why did Selig send Loria to us instead of keeping him with the Montreal franchise ? They will have a new stadium and we don't ? How could they get ot done with NO OWNER (until very late last year, after the stadium was started) and our owner goes out and courts other cities instead of working harder than ever to get the stadium deal done ????

And I'm sure Selig was the second gunman on the grassy knoll and Loria was operating the camera for Apollo 11's in-studio moon landing. Give me a break man.

I see Samson's hand in these penny pinching measures but I do concur as much as a fan that Loria may be he is not willing yo incur in the expenditure required to maintain a first class major league ballclub operation. If it weren't for Beinfest this franchise would be totally in the toilet

And how long do you think we can hold onto Beinfest ? Soon he will go, and 50 wins in a year will seem a triumph & we'll make Tampa Bay look like Worls Champs evey year !

I see Samson's hand in these penny pinching measures but I do concur as much as a fan that Loria may be he is not willing yo incur in the expenditure required to maintain a first class major league ballclub operation. If it weren't for Beinfest this franchise would be totally in the toilet

And how long do you think we can hold onto Beinfest ? Soon he will go, and 50 wins in a year will seem a triumph & we'll make Tampa Bay look like Worls Champs evey year !

On the one hand, GMs have big egos and I actually think some like the challenge of trying to win with a limited payroll

On the other hand, if he goes to NYC, who cares? Mike Hill can take over just fine.

Guest CrimsonCane

I don't say he did it on purpose, but he cut back on training staff, so and gambled that we wouldn't have injuries, so he can save some money. Its well known he keeps a smaller staff than most other MLB franchises, maybe even THE smallest. I read it in The Sporting News last year in one of the issues. They were comparing MLB Orgainiaztions and of course the Marlins were # 30 of 30. The WORST organization and one of the complaints in the story was that Loria cut back on almost every area of the team, including the office staff. Loria is CHEAP. And he's getting away with it, and pocketing MILLIONS a year having a bargan-basement staff & players. He force Beinfest to get rid of the players we have now starting next year, when they have to start their arbitration years. He'll force us to do this as long as he is the owner.

Its such a conumdrum....a totally dichotomy. I love the Marlins but I hate the ownership fircely !

Assuming this is an issue with our training staff, the Yankees had similar injury / training staff issues this season. Are you telling me Steinbrenner is also tight on spending? Just because we have problems doesn't mean Loria is a cheap skate.

As for the team's spending on staff, I recall reading that we commit a lot of money (compared to the league) to our scouting department, which has paid significant dividends in recent years. In the past, we have also picked up some of the most highly regarded scouts for our organization and we routinely have a front office (led by Beinfest) that makes great moves. At the same time, we've been able to establish young, talented teams that are very fun to watch while remaining the most efficient cost per win team in the majors. As much as you criticize Loria and the Marlins' tactics, there are alot of fans from other teams who would wish they had a team run like ours with equal success.

Say the Marlins have just one guy on the medical staff. That guy still had to go to medical school and pass his boards, did he not?

Say the Marlins have just one guy on the medical staff. That guy still had to go to medical school and pass his boards, did he not?

Just because he's licensed doesn't mean he's any good.

Just because he's licensed doesn't mean he's any good.

While that may be the case, to be apart of a medical staff for a professional sports team, you aren't just some shlub off the streets.

Assuming this is an issue with our training staff, the Yankees had similar injury / training staff issues this season. Are you telling me Steinbrenner is also tight on spending? Just because we have problems doesn't mean Loria is a cheap skate.

As for the team's spending on staff, I recall reading that we commit a lot of money (compared to the league) to our scouting department, which has paid significant dividends in recent years. In the past, we have also picked up some of the most highly regarded scouts for our organization and we routinely have a front office (led by Beinfest) that makes great moves. At the same time, we've been able to establish young, talented teams that are very fun to watch while remaining the most efficient cost per win team in the majors. As much as you criticize Loria and the Marlins' tactics, there are alot of fans from other teams who would wish they had a team run like ours with equal success.

Then why did the Sporting News rate them so low, and said that we are cheap on scouting, going so far as to say we don't even have anyone scouting Latin America anymore ? I don't understand it. How could they have missed the mark so badly ? I have to take your word for it, because as a fan you may know more about the Marlins. But they did rate us 30th of 30.

While that may be the case, to be apart of a medical staff for a professional sports team, you aren't just some shlub off the streets.

Yeah but it Loria is cheap he can get some schlub from a 3rd world doctor factory to be the team physician. I wouldn't put it past him to do that either. He'd rob his own mother of her last dime if he could.

Yeah but it Loria is cheap he can get some schlub from a 3rd world doctor factory to be the team physician. I wouldn't put it past him to do that either. He'd rob his own mother of her last dime if he could.

3rd world doctors.

Like the one who turned Magglio Ordonez into the Incredible Hulk.

WHY WOULD HE WANT HIS TALENT ON THE SHELF?

oh right, because this way he won't have to pay them in arbitration

YAWN.

3rd world doctors.

Like the one who turned Magglio Ordonez into the Incredible Hulk.

And the ones that are the alleged conspirators in the foiled London bombings, and the one in Scotland ???

YAWN.

I never said he WANTS them on the shelf...but he is willing to cut corners so that it puts the health of the players in jeopardy of getting the best preventative health care.

Look at the coaching staff.....when he loses Perry Hill he replaces him with Andy Fox. Fox is CHEAP, so he was hired, instead of going out and spending some money on a coach with a nice long resum?.

The people on this board just don't want to see the truth and that is Loria is a BAD owner.

YAWN.

I never said he WANTS them on the shelf...but he is willing to cut corners so that it puts the health of the players in jeopardy of getting the best preventative health care.

Look at the coaching staff.....when he loses Perry Hill he replaces him with Andy Fox. Fox is CHEAP, so he was hired, instead of going out and spending some money on a coach with a nice long resum?.

The people on this board just don't want to see the truth and that is Loria is a BAD owner.

This is funny

Who did you want as the 1B coach on such short notice?

Look I don't like Loria either, but he isn't this bad