he is doing everything better this year from bunts to hits to defense...hes a great player to have and i dont think there are many utility men like him

That's exactly my point... He has 299 at-bats this year. He's no longer the leagues best utility man, he's an average everyday major league centerfielder, and that's all we need.

Granted, I'm slightly angry we missed the boat with Hunter Pence and Chris Young, but what can you do.

Alfredo Amezega's batting average this season. A switch-hitting centerfielder with great defense, good speed, and a great arm that can steal some bases and hit at that rate?

At this point, I don't see us venturing out for a CF'er anymore.

Discuss.

If Fredo's our CFer of the future, count me out of this whole deal. The guy is having a good season. Best season of his life. He's still only got a .330 OBP and .374 Slugging percentage.

he is doing everything better this year from bunts to hits to defense...hes a great player to have and i dont think there are many utility men like him

That's exactly my point... He has 299 at-bats this year. He's no longer the leagues best utility man, he's an average everyday major league centerfielder, and that's all we need.

Granted, I'm slightly angry we missed the boat with Hunter Pence and Chris Young, but what can you do.

and when did we have a chance at Pence?... or even Young?

anyway Alfredo is a real nice player but we definitely need to keep looking for a CFer for the present and near future

Alfredo Amezega's batting average this season. A switch-hitting centerfielder with great defense, good speed, and a great arm that can steal some bases and hit at that rate?

At this point, I don't see us venturing out for a CF'er anymore.

Discuss.

Congrats, you have just condemned Alfredo Amezaga like you did Hanley.

I would love for us to get a third catcher to help out Olivo....either that or we shift Olivo to 3 out of 5 games with Treanor taking the other 2.

Catchers need to stay fresh.

Olivo was good today after having the day off yesterday. Fredi may move to the 3/2 split.

assuming no major moves are made to acquire a starting center fielder and alfredo continues his stellar play, do you think he would start in center in 08 or would it be de aza?

De Aza was my guy following the team around during ST. And Holly's of course. His injury has been a huge disappointment to me. I really wanted to see if he could keep on keeping on like he did in ST and the start of the year.

But I am a huge Alfredo fan. because of his athleticism, his work ethic, and the other things he brings to the team. But I would still prefer him to be the Amazing utility man.

Also just to add, since he's defense still gets flack, although fielding stats are never something you want to put too much stock into, John Dewan released top 5 players per posistion based on PM (Plus-Minus system, basically for every play you make/don't make you get a fraction added/subtracted, based on the percent of the play being made by all fielders at that posistion).

Amezaga was at +8, tied for #5 with Ryan Church. This is out of all of baseball, not just NL.

Hanley also had the lowest score, at -23. Have a field day with that.

Just reiterating what others have said, Mezzy is by no means the answer in CF for the future, but we have a lot more pressing matters at hand that need to be resolved first.