McKeon's WS decisions

rferry

First off! Woo! Who would have guessed that ending? But that's another thread.

On to McKeon...

Does anyone think Jack McKeon is getting a little giddy this World Series?

He seems to be over-managing a bit. With Pavano and Beckett. And with defensive arrangements. Drastic change from the regular season and postseason games I've seen where he just let's people play.

i like it. all season (and round 1+2 of the postseason), everybody has been questioning his c**k-eyed, questionable decisions. he'd just defiantly fight off the criticism and keep on his steady horse.

this series, he's actually bucking to prevailing logic. the defensive and lineup changes were just what we needed. and personally, i thought the urbina move was the only thing to do, going into the 9th inning.

who cares how he does it, we're winning games! we're going to win the world series--in jack I trust!!!

I think trader did the right decision..all through the post season we've seen how oppossing teams capitalize when our pitcher is left for too long. anyways, urbina hasn't been looking good lately. I think jack might consider moving looper to the closer position with the way he pitched tonight.

nice to see sea bass reivindicate himself....

it's not over till WE say it's over!!!

It's not what he does that I have a problem about. I have a problem with why he does it.

I know we're facing a AL team. In the World Series, of all contests. But I'm afraid that the series has gotten to him and he's radically changing the game plan that had gotten us this far already beating teams equal to the Yankees.

I think trader did the right decision..all through the post season we've seen how oppossing teams capitalize when our pitcher is left for too long. anyways, urbina hasn't been looking good lately. I think jack might consider moving looper to the closer position with the way he pitched tonight.

No way man. Loop pitched his balls out tonight, not doubt. And we can trust him now to bridge the gap between starter and Ugy, but you don't take Ugy out of the closers role. First off, you don't change closers in the World Series. Second off, Ugy made all of one bad pitch tonight, the last one to Sierra. He wasn't exactly getting broderline pitches so what can you do. We are playing the umps and the Yanks, and that isn't Ugy's fault.

2 straight games he pulls the pitcher FOR NO REASON

bad managing

I didn't necessarily agree with either move, but let's be honest, there WERE reasons.... we may just not agree with them.

Beckett had gone a long outing ON TOP of a 45 minute rain delay. Plus we'll likely need him again on 3-days rest in Game 6.

Urbina has won the closer job for this team & it's his job to come in & close out games. People on this board keep saying he's a top-notch closer, so shouldn't he be closing in save situations?

Again, I disagreed with BOTH moves, but he did have reasons...

Let's not forget the Conine-Lee lineup swap, which worked like a charm!

speaking of Uggy, he has FLAT OUT SUCKED this postseason

Um, no not really. He made one bad pitch to Sosa, and one bad pitch to Sierra (but that was partially the umps fault for pitches earlier in the at bat). He got out of a huge jam in Game 1 and got out of jams in the NLDS. And don't forget he closed out the Cubs in the NLCS.

If Pavano gives up a leadoff line drive hit to lead off the 9th, you all would be on McKeon's back for not bringing in Ugy. C'mon.

Why is it OK for the Yanks to bring in Rivera any time in the 8th or 9th, but not OK for us to bring our designated closer in to start the 9th? I would think that is the classic closer situation...

Interestingly, nobody questions Looper coming in for Fox either, but what happens if Looper gives up anything? You all would all over McKeon for that, too! I thought Fox was doing just fine and had almost resigned myself to a L when I saw Looper trot in.

But seeing Jeff Weaver made me celebrate immediately!

Pavano told McKeon he couldn't go on so it wasn't reallt Jack's fault, people...

As for Beckett, we need him later this series and after such a long delay, Jack did the right thing.

You people cimplain when we win, when we lose, when we win series and when we lose games.

Jack's got us this far so I wouldn't question him.

Pavano told McKeon he couldn't go on so it wasn't reallt Jack's fault, people...

As for Beckett, we need him later this series and after such a long delay, Jack did the right thing.

You people cimplain when we win, when we lose, when we win series and when we lose games.

Jack's got us this far so I wouldn't question him.

AMEN!!!

Jack knows what he's doing whether we agree with or not. He's been involved with baseball for over 50 years. I am pretty sure he knows exactly what he's doing.

I guess people here suffer from too short of a memmory. Don't you guys remember all those games Pavano seemed to be cruising and then all of the sudden he would all appart in the last innings? He gave us 8 great innings, you have a top notch closer and a starter who has a history of not being able to go the distance, what do you do? I think it is a no brainer to bring in Uggie.

And who exactly would you of had clos out the games thus far in the post-season?

UU is one of the biggest reasons why the Fish are where they are.

Just when I start thinking you've spent too much time in the fryolator Mr. Filet O' Fish you go and write an intelligent post.

Good one.

Go Fish !

And who exactly would you of had clos out the games thus far in the post-season?

UU is one of the biggest reasons why the Fish are where they are.

Just when I start thinking you've spent too much time in the fryolator Mr. Filet O' Fish you go and write an intelligent post.

Good one.

Go Fish ! It's true. Uggy has done quite a bit for us this post season. I don't think it's right to go off and say "Oh, he has down right sucked this post season." That's some bulls*** right there. :nono

The intentional walk, followed by bringing the infield in was weird. If you're going to load the bases for the best double play combo in baseball, why play in? To get the out at home? You could have done that without the force. Pudge is an excellent catcher and could have applied the tag. It was a risky move. It may have even been a mental slip-up. But thankfully all worked out well.

There was also where Lee was playing two nights ago. Protect against the extra-base hit! Though, if I were in that position I would have moved the outfield back before covering the lines. But McKeon did neither against a player who had been dangerous all night and has a history of being able to put it down into the corners.

And the removal of Beckett when the only player who had hit him was the best hitter of the opposing team. He's your ace. Unless he's in trouble or he tells you he can't pitch, you go with him. Because there's no one better you could put on the mound. Sure, Beckett's speed was down a bit, but it was also when he was blowing strikes past Sammy Sosa in the 9th inning of his shutout and his 4th inning in Game 7.

You could see it in his eyes during the pre-game 1 press conferences. He was happy to be here. He was ecstatic to be in the World Series. He's delighted to be able to manage the All-Star game next year. That's not the McKeon we saw before.

Yes, we're 2-2. And we have a pretty good chance at 3-2. And 4-2. And 4-3. But we have less of a chance if McKeon can't get past his emotions and concentrate, if that is what is happening that is.