Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Phillies reject Helms trade with Marlins

Featured Replies

Lofton is a good option.

He made $6mil last year, $3.8mil the year before

 

He hit .296/.367/.414 in 490 at bats

 

there's no chance we can afford him

 

ouch, i didnt even bother to check his salary from last year.

if we sign lofton at $4 mill he would take up most likely over 30% of the on field payroll. that would be sad

If you sign him @ $4 million, which is about where I think he winds up, you would be doing it with the expectation that come the end of June he's out the door as Maybin gets called up, so you're cost is more in the range of $2,000,000.

 

Besides I'm optimistic that either on their own or with a nudge from MLB, payroll will be in the $25 mil range, give or take, by opening day.

 

The question is would he be interested? Going in he and his agent will have already discussed his probable trade at some point in the year and he may want to try to sign somewhere where he has a legitimate shot at sticking for the whole season. On the otherhand, he might look at three months in Miami as an extended vacation (and I don't mean that in a derogatory way) before he really goes to work for some contender.

 

Someone mentioned above that some team would probably step-up and overpay him. I can think of a number of scenarios where the Marlins would be will to do just that, with incentive clauses based on playing time or PA/ABs for example so that in effect the deal is back loaded. No one is going to pick him up mid-season to ride the bench, this could be a win-win if the interest is there.

 

Just pure BS speculation...but hey it's December.

Besides I'm optimistic that either on their own or with a nudge from MLB, payroll will be in the $25 mil range, give or take, by opening day.

Give it all to Hanley and Hermida up front in 5 year deals so we pay less money in future years.

 

We can hope right?

Besides I'm optimistic that either on their own or with a nudge from MLB, payroll will be in the $25 mil range, give or take, by opening day.

 

:lol :lol :lol

 

We can only dream.

Besides I'm optimistic that either on their own or with a nudge from MLB, payroll will be in the $25 mil range, give or take, by opening day.

Give it all to Hanley and Hermida up front in 5 year deals so we pay less money in future years.

 

We can hope right?

yep we can hope but remember on the organizations stances on paying for performance, more like trading after performance :thumbdown

If you sign him @ $4 million, which is about where I think he winds up, you would be doing it with the expectation that come the end of June he's out the door as Maybin gets called up, so you're cost is more in the range of $2,000,000.

 

Besides I'm optimistic that either on their own or with a nudge from MLB, payroll will be in the $25 mil range, give or take, by opening day.

 

The question is would he be interested? Going in he and his agent will have already discussed his probable trade at some point in the year and he may want to try to sign somewhere where he has a legitimate shot at sticking for the whole season. On the otherhand, he might look at three months in Miami as an extended vacation (and I don't mean that in a derogatory way) before he really goes to work for some contender.

 

Someone mentioned above that some team would probably step-up and overpay him. I can think of a number of scenarios where the Marlins would be will to do just that, with incentive clauses based on playing time or PA/ABs for example so that in effect the deal is back loaded. No one is going to pick him up mid-season to ride the bench, this could be a win-win if the interest is there.

 

Just pure BS speculation...but hey it's December.

 

 

Our team doesn't sign established veterans. We sign veterans to establish themselves and outperform their contracts.

De Aza went into Winter Ball to work on hitting the off speed crap. Any word on how he is doing? The kid dosen't have the supposed power of Maybin but he sure does cover alot of territory in our huge CF and he makes defenses think about him when he gets on base. IMO, nothing wrong with a fast, base stealing contact hitter leading off.

De Aza went into Winter Ball to work on hitting the off speed crap. Any word on how he is doing? The kid dosen't have the supposed power of Maybin but he sure does cover alot of territory in our huge CF and he makes defenses think about him when he gets on base. IMO, nothing wrong with a fast, base stealing contact hitter leading off.

I like what you getting at Bob, I could not agree more

De Aza went into Winter Ball to work on hitting the off speed crap. Any word on how he is doing? The kid dosen't have the supposed power of Maybin but he sure does cover alot of territory in our huge CF and he makes defenses think about him when he gets on base. IMO, nothing wrong with a fast, base stealing contact hitter leading off.

I like what you getting at Bob, I could not agree more

he needs to be able to hit first to fit into that equation

De Aza went into Winter Ball to work on hitting the off speed crap. Any word on how he is doing? The kid dosen't have the supposed power of Maybin but he sure does cover alot of territory in our huge CF and he makes defenses think about him when he gets on base. IMO, nothing wrong with a fast, base stealing contact hitter leading off.

I like what you getting at Bob, I could not agree more

he needs to be able to hit first to fit into that equation

13/73

 

.178/.247/.315

Besides I'm optimistic that either on their own or with a nudge from MLB, payroll will be in the $25 mil range, give or take, by opening day.

2003,

 

Are you tacitly conceding that the Marlins' payroll might not be in line with where it should be? :o

Besides I'm optimistic that either on their own or with a nudge from MLB, payroll will be in the $25 mil range, give or take, by opening day.

2003,

 

Are you tacitly conceding that the Marlins' payroll might not be in line with where it should be? :o

 

I'm not sure I understand the question?

 

I think the answer is, now that payroll is at the level it is, based on the supposition that Wiley was brought to in fact fix Willis and keep him on the opening day roster (that's roughly $9 mil), I expect that players will be signed and payroll will go up to more or less where it would have been with Willis as part of the team.

 

I think the Willis move was an unanticipated offer they couldn't refuse.

 

Did I answer your question?

I think the Willis move was an unanticipated offer they couldn't refuse.

 

I thought that the Marlins initiated the offer to Detroit, not the other way around.

 

Now maybe the Marlins hadn't anticipated the offer before the day they made it, but they definitely anticipated the offer.

I think the Willis move was an unanticipated offer they couldn't refuse.

 

I thought that the Marlins initiated the offer to Detroit, not the other way around.

 

Now maybe the Marlins hadn't anticipated the offer before the day they made it, but they definitely anticipated the offer.

 

He asked me a question, I answered it to the best of my abilities as to why I made the statement I did. I don't know who initiated what to who but prior to this virtually every report of a possible trade or the possibility of a possible trade did not include Willis.

 

But like I said, I'm not saying I'm right, I'm telling him why I said what I said.

2003, they did offer Willis. I read in multiple articles that Beinfest called Detroit and said, if you give me (insert the name of the six players), we'll give you Miggy and Dontrelle. They said yes. Trade was done.

2003, I was just making a jab at you because you said that MLB might have to "nudge" the front office to spend more money. That would mean that the salary at its current level would be too low and that MLB might contend that Loria is pocketing too much money. And by you making that comment, you're admitting that Loria has it in him to try to skim too much off the top.

 

Since you like to defend Loria so much, I was giving you a hard time.

2003, I was just making a jab at you because you said that MLB might have to "nudge" the front office to spend more money. That would mean that the salary at its current level would be too low and that MLB might contend that Loria is pocketing too much money. And by you making that comment, you're admitting that Loria has it in him to try to skim too much off the top.

 

Since you like to defend Loria so much, I was giving you a hard time.

 

Not a problem. And no I'm not. I haven't the faintest idea how you could come to that conclusion but come to any conclusion you want.

De Aza went into Winter Ball to work on hitting the off speed crap. Any word on how he is doing? The kid dosen't have the supposed power of Maybin but he sure does cover alot of territory in our huge CF and he makes defenses think about him when he gets on base. IMO, nothing wrong with a fast, base stealing contact hitter leading off.

I like what you getting at Bob, I could not agree more

he needs to be able to hit first to fit into that equation

 

Exactly. And looking at Winter Ball numbers may be a stretch. A guy on a MLB roster going to Winter Ball with the aim to work on one or two things on his game may not be putting up very outstanding numbers. He may actually be working, learning, and learning to work. If that makes any sense to ya (I don't always get my point across correctly). ST seems to be becoming even more interesting. 2 young guys that can cover alot of ground but both have shown a tendacy to not being able to hit MLB pitchers at an impressive rate. I haven't seen Maybin play But I watched De Aza closely during last ST, and in the limited time he played last year. He works the counts very well. He reads pitchers very well when he is on base and he makes things happen. I really want to see what Maybin brings to the table. Up close and personal before any judgement is given.

Side point to that post was that I think we have the CF problem well in hand. So talks of bringing in someone like Lofton is out of the question. I'm more concerned with bringing in a glove at 3B. Maybe a different catcher. But then Rabelo is playing Winter Ball and Tosca is his manager. Might be nice to know what Carlos was saying about him before the trade and what he is whispering in the FO's ear right now. We know the glove is there. But is he coachable on the hitting?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.