Possible Steal at Catcher and 1B?

Piazza31

Considering my BoardName- Leave it to me to ask this Question....

Whats going on with Mike Piazza?

Is he a worthy Catcher to platoon with Treanor and Rabuelo for the Marlins?

Is he even a Utility type player who could impact this team in a leadership role?

He can play 1st and Catch. I'm sure he could play a little 3b if pressed into duty.

All I know is that he is a free agent.

Personally, I think he can be a great bargain leader for the Marlins in 08. He could also catch something like 90 games, and play first 20 or so. :mis2 (or flip those around if Jacobs is injured again)

He could lead this clubhouse players of young stars, and still be a decent player cabable of way more offensively then either of the Catchers they have. And provide a rest for Jacobs 20 or more times.

You give up some defense, but you gain Offensive skill and leadership.

Chris

Considering my BoardName- Leave it to me to ask this Question....

Whats going on with Mike Piazza?

Is he a worthy Catcher to platoon with Treanor and Rabuelo for the Marlins?

Is he even a Utility type player who could impact this team in a leadership role?

He can play 1st and Catch. I'm sure he could play a little 3b if pressed into duty.

All I know is that he is a free agent.

Personally, I think he can be a great bargain leader for the Marlins in 08. He could also catch something like 90 games, and play first 20 or so. :mis2 (or flip those around if Jacobs is injured again)

He could lead this clubhouse players of young stars, and still be a decent player cabable of way more offensively then either of the Catchers they have. And provide a rest for Jacobs 20 or more times.

You give up some defense, but you gain Offensive skill and leadership.

Chris

I don't like it. Although he provides leadership and offense, I believe our team needs hands on experience. Especially at the C position. Piazza can help teach them but he has never been known as a great defensive player so how much can he actually provide in terms of mentoring. For the money he wil cost, I would rather have Treanor/Rabelo figure it out (not like Treanor is a rookie). I'll pass on Piazza.

Defense was a major problem last year, not offense. We need to improve our defense behind our pitchers to help save their arms for the long season. Piazza does not contribute in that area at all.

Don't get me wrong...I'll be the first to denounce his so called "Throwing" arm, but I always understood 2 things about him...

He is an excellent game-caller and a great "Blocking" catcher.

Meaning he will call a great game for our young pitchers and block those wild pitches Olivo couldn't.

Treanors Forte' seems to be Defense.

Piazza's is Offense and Gamecalling/Blocking.

I think they complement eachother well.

This is not Pudge Rodriguez we are talking about here. He may have been a great catcher at one time and a serviceable 1B, but there is a reason why he's been floating around the league for a couple of years now. Mike Piazza is nowhere near the player that he once was and i would rather spend my money wisely else where than pick him up and him become a liability for this team.

No thanks.

Piazza sucks, we don't need him! Why even discuss this, it's a waste of perfect forum space. He's passed his prime, was never a great defender and now his offense is declining. He'll prob end up no where and if he does end up somewhere it'll be either in the American League as a DH, or in the National League as a reserve who'll eventually be sent down to the minors for a younger kid to take his place.

Piazza sucks, we don't need him! Why even discuss this, it's a waste of perfect forum space. He's passed his prime, was never a great defender and now his offense is declining. He'll prob end up no where and if he does end up somewhere it'll be either in the American League as a DH, or in the National League as a reserve who'll eventually be sent down to the minors for a younger kid to take his place.

haha

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.