Report: Leyritz arrested on suspicion of DUI, vehicular homicide

BeefWillingham

Former major league baseball player Jim Leyritz has been arrested in Broward County, Fla. on suspicion of drunken driving and vehicular homicide, WPLG-TV in Miami reported Friday.

The station reported that according to Fort Lauderdale police, a car driven by Leyritz, who lives in Plantation, Fla., hit another car at Southwest 7th Avenue and Second Street early Friday morning.

According to the report, the passenger in the car that Leyritz allegedly struck was ejected from the car and died at the scene, police said.

Leyritz, whose 44th birthday was Thursday, refused a Breathalyzer test, police said, according to the report.

The station reported that according to police records, Leyritz was booked at 4:30 a.m. and ordered held on $11,000 bond.

Leyritz is most remembered for his Game 4 heroics in the 1996 World Series while a member of the New York Yankees.

With the Yankees trailing the Atlanta Braves 2-1 in the series, Leyritz hit a three-run homer in the eighth inning to tie Game 4 at Atlanta. The Yankees won the game and the series, starting a run of a four championships in five seasons.

Leyritz, played 11 seasons in the major leagues for six teams including the Yankees, Angels, Rangers, Red Sox, Padres and Dodgers. He was a career .264 hitter with 90 home runs and 387 RBIs in 903 career games, primarily as a catcher and infielder.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3171228

What a horrifying accident! That's really awful and if he's guilty I hope he does not get away with it as celebrities/wealthy people often do. He also has to live with this forever although that will not bring back the person who was killed nor will it be of any consolation to his or her loved ones. It always amazes me how these people choose to drive when they can surely afford a driver or a taxi.

Here is the updated article. She leaves a husband and 2 young children. :(

ESPN.com

Leyritz charged following accident that killed 30-year-old woman

Former Major League Baseball player Jim Leyritz was arrested Friday on charges of driving under the influence and killing another driver after his vehicle crashed into hers.

Leyritz, who turned 44 on Thursday, faces charges of DUI manslaughter and DUI property damage, said Detective Kathy Collins, Fort Lauderdale police spokeswoman.

Police believe alcohol was involved in the crash, though investigators are awaiting results of blood alcohol tests, Collins said. He posted the $11,000 bond and was released from the Broward County jail at 2:35 p.m. on Friday, according to Keyla Concepcion, a public information officer for the Broward Sheriff's Office.

It could not be determined whether Leyritz, who lives in Davie, had a lawyer.

Fort Lauderdale authorities got a call at 3:20 a.m. that a crash had occurred in the city's entertainment district, Collins said.

She said Leyritz was driving a 2006 Ford Expedition when he collided at an intersection with 30-year-old Fredia Ann Veitch of Plantation, who was driving a 2000 Mitsubishi Montero.

Veitch was ejected from the car, police said. She died at Broward General Medical Center, Collins said.

Witnesses told police Leyritz had a red light. Officers on the scene observed Leyritz to have red, watery eyes, a flushed face and an odor of alcohol, police said.

Leyritz was told Veitch had died and he was asked to submit to a blood test, police said.

"After he refused, Leyritz was informed that blood would be taken above his refusal," the police statement said.

Leyritz bounced from team to team over his career, which ended in 2000 with the Los Angeles Dodgers. But he built a reputation as a clutch postseason hitter.

With the New York Yankees trailing the Atlanta Braves 2-1 in the 1996 World Series, Leyritz hit a three-run homer in the eighth inning to tie Game 4 at Atlanta. New York won the game and the series, starting a run of four championships in five seasons.

He played an even bigger role for the San Diego Padres in their run to the 1998 World Series, hitting four homers and driving in nine runs in series wins over the Houston Astros in the NLDS and the Braves in the NLCS.

During the 2007 season, Leyritz traveled with the Yankees as a beat reporter for 1050 ESPN New York.

Leyritz, who signed with the Yankees as an amateur free agent in 1985, played 11 seasons in the major leagues for six teams including the Yankees, Angels, Rangers, Red Sox, Padres and Dodgers. He was a career .264 hitter with 90 home runs and 387 RBIs in 903 career games, primarily as a catcher and infielder.

If Leyritz has any priors, he could get a stiff punishment. And, he can receive 15 years without any modifiers just for reckless vehicular homicide. Let's wait and see what his punishment is before we decry the system. I have a feeling the broward prosecutors will want to make an example out of Leyritz.

On a related note, I actually went to highschool with the widower. I didn't know him, but it is still horrible nonetheless.

Miami Herald, Jan 2, 2008

Suspensions spot Leyritz's driving record

BY EVAN S. BENN

Former Major League Baseball ballplayer Jim Leyritz's New York driving privileges were suspended at the time of a car crash in Fort Lauderdale that killed a woman last week. His license had also been suspended several times in Florida in recent years.

Leyritz, who has a Florida driver's license, was ticketed outside Albany, N.Y., June 20 after being stopped for driving while using a cellphone, according to the New York Department of Motor Vehicles. The state suspended his driving privileges on Nov. 23 after Leyritz failed to respond to the summons, spokesman Ken Brown confirmed to The Miami Herald on Wednesday.

But the violation in New York had not yet been posted onto Leyritz's Florida driving record, meaning his license here was still valid, according to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.

''Once it posted to the national registry, we would see it and extend the suspension to Florida,'' spokeswoman Ann Nucatola said. ``At this point, it hasn't hit our system yet.''

But records show Leyritz's driver's license has been suspended in Florida three times since 2003. Each suspension -- one month in 2003, three months in 2005 and five months in 2006 -- stemmed from Leyritz not paying fines for traffic infractions like speeding, failing to yield the right of way, not observing a stop sign and driving without insurance.

Leyritz, who turned 44 on Thursday, was charged with DUI manslaughter and DUI property damage after a fatal wreck Friday morning in Fort Lauderdale's Himmarshee bar district.

Witnesses told police Leyritz ran a red light in his 2006 Ford Expedition and crashed into an SUV driven by Fredia Ann Veitch of Plantation. Veitch, 30, was not wearing a seat belt and died soon after the crash, police said.

Leyritz, who retired after 11 seasons in Major League Baseball and now lives in Davie, is out of jail on an $11,000 bond. An attempt to reach him by telephone at his home was unsuccessful Wednesday.

Leyritz's attorney, Jeffrey Ostrow, told The Associated Press he had ''no knowledge'' of Leyritz's license being suspended in New York or otherwise.

The amount of people driving with a suspended license has to be astronomical.

No way to enforce it though so it will continue to be a problem.

It is astronomical.

Fortunately, computer registration checks also reveal if the registered owner has a valid DL or not. A lot of people get taken to jail every day because their DL has been suspended.

It only makes a dent but its better than nothing.

Hell yeah the computer checks for suspended license! I had my license suspended due to an unpaid ticket and a cop that does security where my ex-wife lives stopped me as soon as I had driven a block, He gave me a break so I didnt have to go to jail (I was with my 10 y/o son) but he gave me a summons to go to court. I thought it was no big deal as long as I showed proof that my ticket was paid. Reality set in when the court session started, most people ended up paying 500.00-750.00 in fines and court cost. some people were given probation. A few left in handcuffs to jail. I caught a lucky break that my paperwork didn't show up on the computer. It showed up 3 weeks later but I appeared before a different judge. I ended up with no adjudication and that judge only had us pay 22.00 in court fees (only if it was because of unpaid ticket and financial obligations had been met). Very lenient indeed. The Courts are serious about suspended licenses. I kid you not!

If I were Leyritz I would be on my knees praying right now.He better hope the judge presiding his case is a die-hard Yankee fan. Aside from the fact a lawsuit by the victims's family is almost a certainty

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.