2008 Presidential Primaries

Ghost of WGH

This could be a nice all inclusive topic for all things related to the 2008 Presidential Primaries.

Here is a list of when the primaries are:

JANUARY 2008

* January 3: Iowa (caucuses)

* January 5: Wyoming (GOP caucuses)

* January 8: New Hampshire (primary)

* January 15: Michigan

* January 19: Nevada (precinct caucuses), South Carolina (R primary)

* January 26: South Carolina (D primary)

* January 29: Florida

FEBRUARY 2008

* February 1: Maine ®

* February 5: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado (caucuses), Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho (D), Illinois, Kansas (D), Massachusetts, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New Mexico (D), New York, North Dakota (caucuses), Oklahoma, Tennessee, Utah

* February 9: Louisiana, Kansas ®

* February 10: Maine (D caucuses)

* February 12: District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia

* February 19: Hawaii (D), Washington, Wisconsin

MARCH 2008

* March 4: Ohio, Rhode Island, Texas, Vermont

* March 8: Wyoming (D)

* March 11: Mississippi

APRIL 2008

* April 22: Pennsylvania

MAY 2008

* May 6: Indiana, North Carolina

* May 13: Nebraska (primary), West Virginia

* May 20: Kentucky, Oregon

* May 27: Idaho ®

JUNE 2008

* June 3: Montana, New Mexico ®, South Dakota

Des Moines Jan 1 Democrat

3 man race in Iowa for the 3rd.

Obama 32%

Clinton 25%

Edwards 24%

The rest of the candidates might as well drop out now. A second place showing for Edwards could be huge for his campaign. I dont think a 3rd at this place would do anything for Clinton at this point.

Obama with a close victory could also do wonders for his two chief opponents and their campaigns.

Des Moines Jan 1 Republican

2 man race in Iowa for the Republicans.

Huckabee 32%

Romney 26%

Huckabee winning could do a lot of good for his campaign. It could build a ton of overall momentum as we get rolling full scale into the primary season. I dont think it will hurt Romney that much unless its a huge defeat for him.

McCain needs a solid showing just to give his supporters hope that Iowa isnt conductive of where his campaign is going. Same can be said for Thompson and Paul for that matter, perhaps Guiliani also.

I think its really a 3 man race for the Republicans as well, but Thompson and Paul have the ability to possibly make some noise, again along with Guiliani. All 3 of these need to win an early primary or they are probably done.

It's such a zany primary. We have no clue what is going to happen on either end. I do think that a Romney loss in Iowa is devastating. He put so much time and money into that state that I think NH follows suit and gives McCain a victory. McCain supporters should be rooting for Huck in Iowa.

I am , however the only thing worse than Romney in the general election is Huckabee and I fear the bounce he will get will lift him not in NH but in South Carolina where there are considerably more religious republicans

I really, really hate how in order to be president, it doesn't matter what the rest of the country thinks, as some as some crazy f***ing corn growers in Iowa like you. See: Rudy Guiliani, not that I support him, but I think it's ridiculous he has little chance of winning even though he's ahead in most big states, but a bunch of farmers in the middle of nowhere don't like him enough.

I really, really hate how in order to be president, it doesn't matter what the rest of the country thinks, as some as some crazy f***ing corn growers in Iowa like you. See: Rudy Guiliani, not that I support him, but I think it's ridiculous he has little chance of winning even though he's ahead in most big states, but a bunch of farmers in the middle of nowhere don't like him enough.

Agreed.

I wish we had one national primary day where every state voted at the same time. The way we do it now makes absolute no sense.

Agreed.

I wish we had one national primary day where every state voted at the same time. The way we do it now makes absolute no sense.

Yep, the voter turnout decreases with each primary anyway, which defeats the purpose as is.

You can blame Iowa, but you can also blame NH and all the states that follow. Why do they feel obligated to pick the same person who Iowa picked? Voters ultimately make the decision no matter what.

BTW, you Floridian republicans do have some say. The republican primary for Florida is pretty important and Rudy is actually banking on it.

You can blame Iowa, but you can also blame NH and all the states that follow. Why do they feel obligated to pick the same person who Iowa picked? Voters ultimately make the decision no matter what.

BTW, you Floridian republicans do have some say. The republican primary for Florida is pretty important and Rudy is actually banking on it.

Because there is immensely influential media coverage following the caucus. I have to assume that a majority of voters don't know the full tilt of their candidates' ideas until the general elections campaigns...so they base most of their primary vote on what they see/hear in the news.

Predictions?

Dems:

Obama

Edwards

Clinton

Reps:

Romney

Huckabee

McCain strong third.

As a Democrat, this is the ticket I want: Obama-Biden.

Predictions for Iowa or overall? In Iowa I predict:

1. Edwards

2. Obama

3. Clinton

1. Huckabee

2. Romney

3. Paul

I think Barack and Huck win Iowa.