Olsen Available?

sgleason02

I view trading Olsen like practically every other player on this team- if the value is there and makes the team better then pull the trigger. A young, cheap lefty SP is a huge premium. It doesn't make sense to trade him when his value is low. But if we were somehow able to get a stud 3B or C and Olsen was the key to the deal....then maybe. But looking to trade him because of his "attitude" or DUI is f'ing stupid. I've been both arrested for DUI and tasered and I turned out ok. Olsen will be fine and I expect him to be on our team unless he is the key component of a monster trade.

:cheers

All speculation is basically pointing at us getting a premium 3rd base/catching prospect, and if that is the case you are basically agreeing that he should be dealt. Which I am totally in favor of. We are stockpiled with pitching prospects, and we have the leverage to do it, why not?

meh, I wouldn't mind trading Scott Olsen if a team values him enough to give up a good catcher/1B/3B prospect for him. I'm just not that sold on him as a pitcher, don't think he will ever be that good in the majors.

IMO 2006 was the fluke year, and 2007 was the norm. He is too predictable as he only has two pitches: A good slider that he can't throw for strikes and a decent fastball. Major league hitters can sit back and wait for that fastball and just take the slider as a ball, it happened all of 2007.

Whatever happened to the sophmore slump? Doesn't it make more sense that he suffered through a sophmore slump like so many major leaguers do, than to say 06' was the fluke? I think you are being way to critical of Olsen at this point. The kid does have alot of talent. Maybe not a #1, but he can certainly be a solid major leaguer. Being a jerk doesn't mean you can't play the game.

meh, I wouldn't mind trading Scott Olsen if a team values him enough to give up a good catcher/1B/3B prospect for him. I'm just not that sold on him as a pitcher, don't think he will ever be that good in the majors.

IMO 2006 was the fluke year, and 2007 was the norm. He is too predictable as he only has two pitches: A good slider that he can't throw for strikes and a decent fastball. Major league hitters can sit back and wait for that fastball and just take the slider as a ball, it happened all of 2007.

Whatever happened to the sophmore slump? Doesn't it make more sense that he suffered through a sophmore slump like so many major leaguers do, than to say 06' was the fluke? I think you are being way to critical of Olsen at this point. The kid does have alot of talent. Maybe not a #1, but he can certainly be a solid major leaguer. Being a jerk doesn't mean you can't play the game.

UR so right. Look at Schilling.

When you look at Curt and you look at Scott, they are so different. You can't compare the two. Schilling had the fastball, and all the mechanics needed to be a major league number one starter anywhere and on any team. Scott Olsen doesn't throw as hard, relies mostly on movement, and won't pan out if his attention is not 100% directed towards his coaches. Guys like Beckett, Schilling, P. Martinez, and power pitchers are in the big leagues and stick because they have great arms, but even they weren't so ignorant as to not listen to their managers. If we can get equal value, trade him at once.

I just can't see us trading him away right now, not unless we got some major pitching prospects in return which won't happen. We don't have anyone to replace him in the rotation who can step up as a number 2 starter. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Olsen fan at all and i want to see him gone in 09. Call it a sophmore slump, but i hated the job he did last year and i don't see anything to indicate he will have a decent year this time around.

But we have no choice but to hang on to him this year because of the hole he would leave in the rotation if he left.

I just can't see us trading him away right now, not unless we got some major pitching prospects in return which won't happen. We don't have anyone to replace him in the rotation who can step up as a number 2 starter. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Olsen fan at all and i want to see him gone in 09. Call it a sophmore slump, but i hated the job he did last year and i don't see anything to indicate he will have a decent year this time around.

But we have no choice but to hang on to him this year because of the hole he would leave in the rotation if he left.

I personally think Mitre and Miller will make an awesome one-two punch, but that's just me. :whistle

I personally think Mitre and Miller will make an awesome one-two punch, but that's just me. :whistle

I'm with you on that, I worded it badly. I meant there's nobody else who can step up as a dependable third starter if Olsen is traded.

The Sophomore Slump is good in theory, but really has no basis in fact. Why should I discount an awful 2nd season just because of some supposed sophomore jinx?

The fact is, he struggled in his 2nd year because hitters had a better understanding of how to hit him.

When you look at Curt and you look at Scott, they are so different. You can't compare the two. Schilling had the fastball, and all the mechanics needed to be a major league number one starter anywhere and on any team. Scott Olsen doesn't throw as hard, relies mostly on movement, and won't pan out if his attention is not 100% directed towards his coaches. Guys like Beckett, Schilling, P. Martinez, and power pitchers are in the big leagues and stick because they have great arms, but even they weren't so ignorant as to not listen to their managers. If we can get equal value, trade him at once.

I was only referring to the "being a jerk doesn't mean you can't play the game." I consider Schilling to be a big jerk but he is still successful. Olsen is also a jerk. both are pitching in the major leagues. I didn't mean to compare their pitching.

I was only referring to the "being a jerk doesn't mean you can't play the game." I consider Schilling to be a big jerk but he is still successful. Olsen is also a jerk. both are pitching in the major leagues. I didn't mean to compare their pitching.

I was thinking more along the lines of Barry Bonds. What makes Schilling a jerk?

Last I checked jerks don't make contributions towards ALS, now do they? Not to mention the hundreds of contributions Schilling probably did throughout his career that I don't even know about.

I was thinking more along the lines of Barry Bonds. What makes Schilling a jerk?

his mouth, his attitude, his political advertising, his elitest way of treating people

We have Anibal/Volstad/G. Hernandez all coming up at some point this season. Let alone Trahern/Tucker/Sinkbeil/Thompson who could all rise quickly if they start blowing people up early on in the year. We have plenty of guys who can start over the course of the year. We can limp through 2008 if need be and throw out all these Waecthers and Barones and Seddons and Caravajals for 2-3 months until those aforementioned 3 and others are ready in a few months. If a deal presents itself for Olsen you do it. (I like figuring out how to give the Rangers pitching for one of the catchers or Clement). The obvious problem stated numerous times is that he was horrible last year so you'd be selling for 50 cents on the dollar and wouldn't get a return based on his upside. We aren't in a desperate position of contention to trade so he stays. It's not because he's a vital cog for 08 or longterm. We'd be fine with or without him.

I'm surprised how unforgiving some are here. And what short memories.

Besides the pragmatic "don't sell at 50 cents on the dollar" point Lou makes, I don't understand how people can look at Olsen in 2007 as anything other than a human trainwreck walking out to the mound every five days.

He'd become an alcoholic, psychologically at war with himself, wound up on the couch and I suspect from the way he looked his last ten starts or so, on meds, this is hardly a basis on which to decide anything about how skilled he is at his craft or where is future takes him.

I think you have to just write-off 2007 and start with a fresh slate as far as Olsen concerned. He may fail. He may break-out. He may be mediocre. But this year, whatever the result, I suspect this will be the first time we've really seen "Scott Olsen" pitch.

I'm optimistic but that might be misplaced. I want to see what the kid can do clean and sober before I pass any judgement.

lets see if olsen is decent in july and mitre is doing horrible, who wants to keep olsen and lynch mitre

Care for a wager?

no i was just saying that the majority of people hate the guy whos not winning and love the guy who is. look back to before this past season who wanted to give mitre a spot on the team let alone in the rotation and who wanted to trade olsen?