Olsen Available?

sgleason02

As far as I can tell, this is just a Mariner's blogger spouting off. He seems to have some inside info. about Scotty-O being available. He must have been hiding in a stall when Beinfest came in to pee, and overheard Beinfest talking to himself. Only posting this cause news has been hard to come by lately.

http://prospectinsider.com/2007/12/28/its-far-too-quiet-but/

What else might Seattle be able to do for starting pitching? Here is the next group of interesting arms the M's can look to obtain, based on the fact that in some form or another, each may be be available this off season:

Scott Olsen, LHP - He is available, but Florida is trying to play the game with clubs inquiring about any of their starters, and feel like they are better off waiting on Olsen. If he has a solid start to the 2008 season, his value skyrockets.

One of the responses to the article:

Jason,

This is a very good list of alternatives to Bedard that would not cost Seattle the future.

Florida needs a backup CF in the event Maybin is not quite ready, they have a hole at 3B, they are still not quite sure at C, and could use more "about ready" SP depth. Do you think it would take Jones, Morrow, or Clement to get Scott Olsen, or do you think they might bite on something like a package of Jeremy Reed (CF), Mike Morse (3B), Rob Johnson ©, and Baek or Fierabend?

I dont agree with some of you. I'd trade Olsen in a heart beat if it means bringing some help at 3rd base. I want to see us build a strong defense and develope our in house pitching prospects. To me Olsen is a head case anyway.

I totally 200% agree with you man! :thumbup

I dont agree with some of you. I'd trade Olsen in a heart beat if it means bringing some help at 3rd base. I want to see us build a strong defense and develope our in house pitching prospects. To me Olsen is a head case anyway.

I don't like the fact that he's a head case (which he definitley is) but I can't see us dealing away starting pitching in any form even if it had an earned run average of 6 last year. We basically only have 2 starters that are prooven and that we know will be ready to pitch in the first week of the season in Olsen and Mitre. Take one away and....... 2 - 1 = 1.

That leaves us with 1 starter :mischief

Gotta agree with The Punisher.

He's been nothing but trouble for us the past couple of years. Not only has he caused problems off the field, but he's also (from whats reported) a problem in the clubhouse.

Sure he had that one good rookie year, but he was pretty terrible last year.

I know he says he's trying to clean up his act, but thats probably BS.

If it were a guy with equal talent as Olsen with no attitude problems, then I would probably have him stick around...

But because of his issues, I say trade him. I'd be ecstatic if we got one of Adam Jones, Brandon Morrow, or Jeff Clement, although probably unlikely.

Let's not forget: Bavasi just signed Carlos Silva to a 4 year/48 million dollar deal, so maybe he'll make another stupid move this offseason :mis2

any move on olsen i see happens midseason or next offseason he is the only start that has actually logged innings at the major league level and his value can only go up. (he also does not make any money) even if no teams are interested when the time comes to trade olsen right now he is needed to protect younger arms from being blown out.

meh, I wouldn't mind trading Scott Olsen if a team values him enough to give up a good catcher/1B/3B prospect for him. I'm just not that sold on him as a pitcher, don't think he will ever be that good in the majors.

IMO 2006 was the fluke year, and 2007 was the norm. He is too predictable as he only has two pitches: A good slider that he can't throw for strikes and a decent fastball. Major league hitters can sit back and wait for that fastball and just take the slider as a ball, it happened all of 2007.

Although I don't necessarily think Olsen will bounce back to his 2006 form this year, I simply can't see us trading him away with the current state of our pitching staff. There are too many hole and unestablished players to trade away a "veteren" like Olsen.

I love Olsens attitude and the way he plays the game.

I really feel Cab's was the bad clubhouse presense. I think he came up, felt like he was the reason they won... and got a big head (much like Ray Emery of the Ottawa Senators).

Olsen might have stood up for himself instead of being the cause of the problem.

He plays with a lot of heart, and he is major league ready at minor league salary. Give him time to develop and he'll be Millers own Tom Glavine. Or John Smoltz. Or Millers Zito, or Hudsen, Or Mulder.

Chris

I really feel Cab's was the bad clubhouse presense. I think he came up, felt like he was the reason they won... and got a big head (much like Ray Emery of the Ottawa Senators).

Olsen might have stood up for himself instead of being the cause of the problem.

He plays with a lot of heart, and he is major league ready at minor league salary. Give him time to develop and he'll be Millers own Tom Glavine. Or John Smoltz. Or Millers Zito, or Hudsen, Or Mulder.

Chris

Or maybe he'll just think it's MILLER TIME. Or maybe he'll just be MILLERS BUD!

I can't imagine us trading a young, cheap left-handed starting pitcher at this point nor do I think other teams would offer any kind of reasonable compensation until they know he's no longer drinking. For myself I'll reserve judgment on the kid until I've seen what he can do clean and sober. He may have been carrying this baggage around with him much longer than any of us know and we'll finally see in '08 what he can accomplish. Or not.

I view trading Olsen like practically every other player on this team- if the value is there and makes the team better then pull the trigger. A young, cheap lefty SP is a huge premium. It doesn't make sense to trade him when his value is low. But if we were somehow able to get a stud 3B or C and Olsen was the key to the deal....then maybe. But looking to trade him because of his "attitude" or DUI is f'ing stupid. I've been both arrested for DUI and tasered and I turned out ok. Olsen will be fine and I expect him to be on our team unless he is the key component of a monster trade.

Chris

uh..........no.

Olsen stood up for himself? He got his panties in a bunch because he thought it was cabs and the defense's fault that he was losing the game.....crappy team attitude and a guy who couldn't back up his mouth is what I see in Olsen.

If you remember he didn't only have issues with cabs if i recall messenger giving him a black eye back in 06.

He barely has enough talent or potential to be comparing him to Glavine or smoltz.....let alone Zito...come on. The only reason he shouldn't be traded this year is because we're desperate for any form of starting pitching that is prooven. But after this season ends, he should be marketed for prospects or anything we can get back for him in 09.

eh if they can get Teagarden I'm down. It would just have to be somebody really good and who makes sense.

I don't think that would happen though after his dismal showing. He'll stay until Johnson/Anibal/Volstad/Gaby/Tucker/Sinkbeil/Trahern get onto the team and establish themselves in the next 2 years or so.

eh if they can get Teagarden I'm down. It would just have to be somebody really good and who makes sense.

I don't think that would happen though after his dismal showing. He'll stay until Johnson/Anibal/Volstad/Gaby/Tucker/Sinkbeil/Trahern get onto the team and establish themselves in the next 2 years or so.

You forgot Badenhop :thumbup

If interest is there for Olsen, trade him now! He won't amount to anything if he can't even listen to his mentors. This kid is a cancer and way too early in his career. His career won't turn for the best aslong as he is hard headed and I'd rather get something for him now. So if we are being offered a Clement or someone of that caliber it's a no-brainer, TRADE HIM NOW HILL!

any move on olsen i see happens midseason or next offseason he is the only start that has actually logged innings at the major league level and his value can only go up. (he also does not make any money) even if no teams are interested when the time comes to trade olsen right now he is needed to protect younger arms from being blown out.

Gotta agree w/ you. Scotty needs more time and we need to sell high, not low if at all. W/ what we have right now on the diamond, it will be ok to go into the season w/out giving up SP. Good lord we know that it is hard to find. Scotty is not great, but he can only improve. The potential is there. i say we wait and see how he pans out. Keep Scotty.

I view trading Olsen like practically every other player on this team- if the value is there and makes the team better then pull the trigger. A young, cheap lefty SP is a huge premium. It doesn't make sense to trade him when his value is low. But if we were somehow able to get a stud 3B or C and Olsen was the key to the deal....then maybe. But looking to trade him because of his "attitude" or DUI is f'ing stupid. I've been both arrested for DUI and tasered and I turned out ok. Olsen will be fine and I expect him to be on our team unless he is the key component of a monster trade.

:cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.