Starting Rotation

30plus

Miller, Mitre, and Olsen are the definites so far but what about the other 2 spots?

I haven't heard much about Sanchez and Nolasco, but if the're healthy in time I suppose they would fill the remaining spots. If one or both of them are not healthy though I guess its up for grabs in spring training.

VandenHurk will be given a shot along with Barone and other minor leaguers. Anyone know if Badenhop or Trahern are going to be involved at all in ST?

1. Miller

2. Mitre

3. Olsen

4. ?

5. ?

Miller, Mitre, and Olsen are the definites so far but what about the other 2 spots?

I haven't heard much about Sanchez and Nolasco, but if the're healthy in time I suppose they would fill the remaining spots. If one or both of them are not healthy though I guess its up for grabs in spring training.

VandenHurk will be given a shot along with Barone and other minor leaguers. Anyone know if Badenhop or Trahern are going to be involved at all in ST?

1. Miller

2. Mitre

3. Olsen

4. ?

5. ?

Both Bradenhop AND Trahern were invited to ST, but as far as I know they are going to be tried out for the bullpen. My Guess is that if Nolasco and Sanchez are unhealthy, Vandenhurk will definately occupy the fourth spot, leaving the fifth open to maybe an offseason signing of Brian Moehler who has been pursued by the Marlins as a veteran starter.

MAY I ADD: I think Nolasco is going to be off injury by the start of the season.

1.Miller

2.Olsen

3.Sanchez

4.VandenHurk

5.Nolasco

I think Badenhop and Trahern will most likely remain in the minors for 2008.Most likely one of our starters gets injured or struggles and Badenhop or Trahern get called up.

And why Vandenhurk over Mitre exactly?

my pick is

Mitre

Miller

Olsen

Nolasco

Vandenhurk

Sanchez is still hurt BTW.

1.Miller

2.Olsen

3.Sanchez

4.VandenHurk

5.Nolasco

I think Badenhop and Trahern will most likely remain in the minors for 2008.Most likely one of our starters gets injured or struggles and Badenhop or Trahern get called up.

my pick is

Mitre

Miller

Olsen

Nolasco

Vandenhurk

Damn i knew i was missing someone :mis2

1.Miller

2.Olsen

3.Sanchez

4.VandenHurk

5.Nolasco

my pick is

Mitre

Miller

Olsen

Nolasco

Vandenhurk

Mitre was our most dependable starter the first half of 07. He just needs to work on consistency for the second half and he has the makings of a solid sinker baller.

Vandenhurk is still undeveloped and a little wild, you don't take him over Mitre. He has potential, but he probably won't be there for a couple years.Unless a better option comes along, he should be our number 5 starter.

Olsen

Mitre

Miller

VandenHurk

Nolasco

and Sanchez the long reliever/ spot started out of the pen.

I wouldn't mind a 6 man rotation to prevent overuse though.

Would keep them fresh throughout the season and get them Major League starts

If Sanchez is healthy, I don't think I want a guy who threw a no-hitter and went 10-3 his rookie year to be assigned to a long relief role. Do you mean you want him as a long reliever/spot starter as he's recovering and working his way back into the rotation, or you just want him that way permanently?

Olsen

Mitre

Miller

VandenHurk

Nolasco

and Sanchez the long reliever/ spot started out of the pen.

I wouldn't mind a 6 man rotation to prevent overuse though.

Would keep them fresh throughout the season and get them Major League starts

If Sanchez is healthy, I don't think I want a guy who threw a no-hitter and went 10-3 his rookie year to be assigned to a long relief role. Do you mean you want him as a long reliever/spot starter as he's recovering and working his way back into the rotation, or you just want him that way permanently?

Well that doesn't at all seem like a bad idea! St. Louis did the same thing with former Cardinals pitcher Matt Morris and it worked out great.

1.Miller

2.Olsen

3.Sanchez

4.VandenHurk

5.Nolasco

I think Badenhop and Trahern will most likely remain in the minors for 2008. Most likely one of our starters gets injured or struggles and Badenhop or Trahern get called up.

my pick is

Mitre

Miller

Olsen

Nolasco

Vandenhurk

Mitre was our most dependable starter the first half of 07. He just needs to work on consistency for the second half and he has the makings of a solid sinker baller.

Vandenhurk is still undeveloped and a little wild, you don't take him over Mitre. He has potential, but he probably won't be there for a couple years.Unless a better option comes along, he should be our number 5 starter.

Not even. This was his first full season and he was a horse. Just look at the innings pitched for Mitre compared to years past. I think he'll have a breakthrough year for us!

Mitre absolutely stunk in the 2nd half of the season, I feel Vanden Hurrk would occupy a rotation spot over him. The WildCard is Anibal. If he is ready our rotation could be fairly stable if not solid

I see what your saying, but I can't completely agree with it. Don't you think he may have experienced a little fatigue? I mean look at the innings he compiled compared to his previous years in the majors. It is a big difference. Not using it as a complete excuse here but it is a strong possibility.

1.Miller

2.Olsen

3.Sanchez

4.VandenHurk

5.Nolasco

I think Badenhop and Trahern will most likely remain in the minors for 2008. Most likely one of our starters gets injured or struggles and Badenhop or Trahern get called up.

my pick is

Mitre

Miller

Olsen

Nolasco

Vandenhurk

Not even. This was his first full season and he was a horse. Just look at the innings pitched for Mitre compared to years past. I think he'll have a breakthrough year for us!

I agree. He needs to work on his conditioning this off season. He just tired last year. He will be fine.

If Olsen and Miller don't have a great Spring, then I wouldn't mind Mitre becoming our number 1 starter with Miller and Olsen following as 2 and 3. I would still prefer Miller as the number 1 and the opening day starter If he has a decent spring. That way the lefties are split up and we get that 1, 2 punch of Miller and Mitre. Always good to have a strikeout pitcher followed by a sinkerballer in a series.

A little blurb on the projected return of some of our pitchers

Florida Sports Buzz

? Marlins pitcher Josh Johnson is hopeful he will return from elbow surgery in July, but team officials expect he will miss the season.

Among pitchers who had shoulder surgery, the Marlins expect Anibal Sanchez back for spring training, but project a May or June return for Henry Owens.

Ladies and gentleman, our potential #1 starter:

Olsen has had a history of disciplinary problems with The Marlins and legal issues. He was given a black eye from friend and former teammate Randy Messenger during the 2006 season and shortly after that then manager Joe Girardi pulled Olsen by the collar and confronted him.

In a July 2006 7-6 loss to the New York Mets there was an incident involving his teammate, Miguel Cabrera. While pitching to Mets catcher Paul Lo Duca, LoDuca hit a hard grounder that glanced off Cabrera's glove and rolled into left field. A run scored and Lo Duca raced to second with a double. While the play glanced off of Cabrera's glove, Olsen seemed to believe that Cabrera did not give his full effort to get to the ball, and as they came off the field, Olsen could be seen shouting something at Cabrera. A moment later, television cameras showed Cabrera in the crowded dugout reaching past teammates to poke his finger at Olsen as the pitcher walked past him. Olsen tried to jab back at Cabrera, who charged Olsen and tried to kick the pitcher before both players were quickly separated by teammates.

:blink:

In September of 2006, Olsen said he hated the Phillies because they dominated the Marlins. His emotions boiled over in the sixth inning of a May 2007 game versus the Phillies, when he became angry at Chase Utley for calling time just before a pitch. The next pitch was ball four, and Utley trotted to first base as Olsen angrily shouted and waved his glove at him. In the bottom of the inning, the Marlins totaled four extra-base hits to rally against Cole Hamels. This led to some of the Phillies players disliking Olsen just like he dislikes them.

In June of the 2007 season, he received an unspecified fine for making an obscene gesture towards fans in Milwaukee. His second problem of the year was when making a July 15 start against the Washington Nationals, Olsen had a confrontation with pitcher Sergio Mitre in the tunnel heading toward the team clubhouse. What happened behind the scenes wasn't pretty as Olsen ripped his jersey off and tossed it in the direction of a trainer. Mitre and other Marlins, according to the source, took exception to Olsen's actions. That's when tensions got hot. As they left the dugout area, Mitre pinned Olsen against a wall before the two were separated by teammates. Olsen then received a two game suspension for insubordination but was still scheduled to make his next start the following Friday against the Cincinnati Reds.

After serving his two game suspension and after making his scheduled July 20, 2007 start, he was arrested by Aventura, Florida Police after refusing to pull over for being clocked at 48 MPH in a 35 MPH zone. He fled for about a mile, at which point he stopped at his home and sat in a plastic chair in the front yard. When police arrived and tried to arrest him, he kicked at the officers who then used a taser to subdue him. Olsen failed a field sobriety test and refused a breath test, he was booked on charges of driving under the influence, resisting arrest with violence and fleeing and eluding a police officer.

:confused

Olsen has had a history of disciplinary problems with The Marlins and legal issues. He was given a black eye from friend and former teammate Randy Messenger during the 2006 season and shortly after that then manager Joe Girardi pulled Olsen by the collar and confronted him.

In a July 2006 7-6 loss to the New York Mets there was an incident involving his teammate, Miguel Cabrera. While pitching to Mets catcher Paul Lo Duca, LoDuca hit a hard grounder that glanced off Cabrera's glove and rolled into left field. A run scored and Lo Duca raced to second with a double. While the play glanced off of Cabrera's glove, Olsen seemed to believe that Cabrera did not give his full effort to get to the ball, and as they came off the field, Olsen could be seen shouting something at Cabrera. A moment later, television cameras showed Cabrera in the crowded dugout reaching past teammates to poke his finger at Olsen as the pitcher walked past him. Olsen tried to jab back at Cabrera, who charged Olsen and tried to kick the pitcher before both players were quickly separated by teammates.

In September of 2006, Olsen said he hated the Phillies because they dominated the Marlins. His emotions boiled over in the sixth inning of a May 2007 game versus the Phillies, when he became angry at Chase Utley for calling time just before a pitch. The next pitch was ball four, and Utley trotted to first base as Olsen angrily shouted and waved his glove at him. In the bottom of the inning, the Marlins totaled four extra-base hits to rally against Cole Hamels. This led to some of the Phillies players disliking Olsen just like he dislikes them.

In June of the 2007 season, he received an unspecified fine for making an obscene gesture towards fans in Milwaukee. His second problem of the year was when making a July 15 start against the Washington Nationals, Olsen had a confrontation with pitcher Sergio Mitre in the tunnel heading toward the team clubhouse. What happened behind the scenes wasn't pretty as Olsen ripped his jersey off and tossed it in the direction of a trainer. Mitre and other Marlins, according to the source, took exception to Olsen's actions. That's when tensions got hot. As they left the dugout area, Mitre pinned Olsen against a wall before the two were separated by teammates. Olsen then received a two game suspension for insubordination but was still scheduled to make his next start the following Friday against the Cincinnati Reds.

After serving his two game suspension and after making his scheduled July 20, 2007 start, he was arrested by Aventura, Florida Police after refusing to pull over for being clocked at 48 MPH in a 35 MPH zone. He fled for about a mile, at which point he stopped at his home and sat in a plastic chair in the front yard. When police arrived and tried to arrest him, he kicked at the officers who then used a taser to subdue him. Olsen failed a field sobriety test and refused a breath test, he was booked on charges of driving under the influence, resisting arrest with violence and fleeing and eluding a police officer.

Im more concerned with his talent level than his history of disciplinary problems. Im not gonna make a guy with talent (not necessarily Olsen) the #2 starter instead of #1 because he has been in trouble before. If you feel strongly about it, Id think itd be a bigger deal that he is on the team at all than his spot in the rotation.

Im more concerned with his talent level than his history of disciplinary problems. Im not gonna make a guy with talent (not necessarily Olsen) the #2 starter instead of #1 because he has been in trouble before. If you feel strongly about it, Id think itd be a bigger deal that he is on the team at all than his spot in the rotation.

lol.....sat on a plastic chair in his frontyard....

and that's why Miller should start on opening day...or Mitre.

and yes, talent is what matters and his police record should not determine what spot he has in the rotation. I agree with that except for the fact that Olsen had an ERA just under 6 last year. I won't recognize that the sophmore slump was the reason for this and there's nothing to indicate he will have a comeback year in 08 regardless if he "cleaned up his act" and claims he will start fresh.

Some athletes have their day in the spotlight where they have that one-time f*** up/complete loss of common sense.

Scott Olsen has had a handful of those days. The things you do in your personal life say a lot about your mental make-up on the field as well.

He's childish and has shown time and time again that he folds in the face of adversity.

Can anyone tell me honestly that they are psyched that Olsen is our probable OD starter?

Some athletes have their day in the spotlight where they have that one-time f*** up/complete loss of common sense.

Scott Olsen has had a handful of those days. The things you do in your personal life say a lot about your mental make-up on the field as well.

He's childish and has shown time and time again that he folds in the face of adversity.

Can anyone tell me honestly that they are psyched that Olsen is our probable OD starter?

I'm not.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.