Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Opinions on Glenn Geffner

Featured Replies

I can't stand listening to Glenn Geffner, he's awful. Now I know what the people in Boston are complaining about. He's boring, says nothing insightful and his voice is annoying. He sounds like a college kid on a student radio station. Makes me wish I could speak Spanish so I could listen to Felo. Anyway we can bring Roxy back? Boog?

Really? I guess I'll find out tonight... for some reason my cable's Sun Sports channel is blacked out.

 

 

If all else fails, Agler does a fine job too.

  • Author

I'm all for Agler, anyone but this guy. On the other hand it will free up my nights so I don't have to listen. I already stopped going to games because of this ownership, now I will not listen. So if a tree falls in the woods and no one is around, etc.

Guess I'm just not much for complaining about things I can't control. I always listen to the radio while at games. To me it adds a dimension to the experience of being there. I didn't notice anything bad about the broadcast, but maybe it was just because of the excitement of being at Opening Day.

 

But I do remember when Rich joined Tommy. Alot of folks were bashing him pretty good. He seems to have won over most fans. Maybe this guy just needs some time to settle in as well.

I've never understood the animus towards Rich Walz, he sounds pretty good to me. Then again growing up in Miami I've no one to compare him too from childhood, like the Angelinos have Vin Scully.

 

As for Roxy, I think the reason the Marlins let him go, was because he wanted to put his duties with the U of California football, baseball & basketball ahead of the Marlins. Didn't he also do Golden State Warriors basketball too ?

I think thats right about Roxy......Van Horne is good but, like that WS call, his voice puts me in a trance, too monotone for my liking....but he knows his stuff....

 

give the new guy a chance.....where or where is Joe Angel

  • Author

As for Roxy, I think the reason the Marlins let him go, was because he wanted to put his duties with the U of California football, baseball & basketball ahead of the Marlins. Didn't he also do Golden State Warriors basketball too ?

 

I don't recall Roxy missing any games.

He's not as good as Roxy, but I think he's alright and I prefer his voice calling the game instead of the monotone voice of Dave Van Horne.

This may be a good time to bump this... I finally got to listen last night. My opinion? Glenn's no Boog; but, he's not awful either. I think I could get used to him.

 

Oh, and DVH's voice is not monotone; in fact, he has a great voice. It's the affectation (or lack thereof) in his game-calling that turns off some people.

DVH is one of the best in the business, and who I try to model my broadcasts as. He is old school and he really paints the picture for you. hel tells the story and is very knowldegable.

 

I have listened to Gefner on and off, so I really can't comment on him yet.

I like Geffner, nothing special but isn't bad at all. DVH does sound boring but you got love this voice, like Chip Caray and Joe Buck.

 

Rich Waltz is awesome, brings excitement on alot of plays. Homeruns and such, only thing is he is redundant on the stories of players and such. But I guess thats normal since he wants all the fans to hear about it when they tune in on the telecasts.

 

Rich and Tommy do a great job wit the games.

 

I do miss Roxy doing the radio games though, and Boog was great too.

Oh, and DVH's voice is not monotone; in fact, he has a great voice. It's the affectation (or lack thereof) in his game-calling that turns off some people.

 

 

Basically yeah. Certainly nothing wrong with his tone.

 

I don't need him to wet his pants for every single that's hit, that can be just as annoying. It's just that sometimes Josh Willingham will be rounding second base by the time Dave gets around to telling you that it was a home run. I will say that my opinion of him has gotten a little better over time, but still not my favorite.

 

Geffner seems okay so far.

 

 

and please tell me Waltz isn't doing "His name is DAN UGGLA!" anymore....

I remember ESPN saying now that Cabrera is gome, Ramirez have no protection around him, sure our 7-8-9 hitters are horrible, but I'm sure anyone would take a free Uggla, Hermida, Jacobs, and Willingham if they were asked that they must start them everyday. Those are 4 above average players where their strength is hitting, and make the game interesting to watch with their long fly balls.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.