A Few Questions

I'm new to s. fla and love baseball,the only team here are the Marlins of course, would love to be a fan but have a few questions.

1. The team is in first place, great weather and could only draw 12,000 fans to a game

2. when i watch on tv, every player coming to bat have a nickname, how could someone new know the players when all you hear is a nickname,

3. Why don't the announcers talk about the game rather than everything they do all day and what they eat, etc etc.

Don't knock me down as i read some of the threads, it seems like you can't say anything negative about the team,

I'm new to s. fla and love baseball,the only team here are the Marlins of course, would love to be a fan but have a few questions.

1. The team is in first place, great weather and could only draw 12,000 fans to a game

2. when i watch on tv, every player coming to bat have a nickname, how could someone new know the players when all you hear is a nickname,

3. Why don't the announcers talk about the game rather than everything they do all day and what they eat, etc etc.

Don't knock me down as i read some of the threads, it seems like you can't say anything negative about the team,

If this is serious, then if you would "love to be a fan" then be one and that makes the 3 questions completely and totally irrelevant and frivolous as well as not worthy of any response. Hopefully now the attendance will be 12,001.

Yeah the weather is great here bro. It's 94 degrees everyday with the threat of rain/lightning.

Looking forward to your 2nd post.

1. Great weather? Obviously you were not here over the weekend when it rained.

2. I don't know what station you are watching but the graphics I see show the players real name and not every player even has a nickname.

3. Again, we must be watching a different station because the announcers I hear do a damn good job calling the game.

Not knocking you down, but you didn't really say anything negative about the team, just the fans and the announcers.

The nicknames he may be referring to were the ones (God I forgot who) that a player used when he was announcing the lineup one night. Maybe Amezaga. He called Helms "The Closer", etc.

Ring a bell with anyone?

The reason Tommy and Rich talk about off-field stuff from time to time is because a) they adopted all of us and this is one big happy family, and b) usually we're kicking the crap out of some team to the point where discussing whether pastrami goes better on rye or a kaiser roll is more interesting. :D

The nicknames he may be referring to were the ones (God I forgot who) that a player used when he was announcing the lineup one night. Maybe Amezaga. He called Helms "The Closer", etc.

I remember Jake doing it one night too (they later showed outtakes of him). I think a couple guys have done it this year on the TV broadcast.

Ring a bell with anyone?

Yah that was Amezaga announcing the nicknames. He did the whole lineup in spanish. I think another was Matt "El Loco" (Crazy one) Treanor. Mark "La Escalera" (The Ladder) Hendrickson. Jorge "Paisano" (Countryman) Cantu. Hmm, can't remember any more.

1. Yes the team is in first. The weather isn't as great as everyone thinks. The day games are extremely hot and even the threat of rain will keep most fans away from the park. Also because of the location of the park, they will never draw well during the week. The weekend numbers are significantly better. Hopefully the new park will help a lot of these issues and we can improve our attendance.

2. Nicknames are fun and once you watch five games or so you should have them all down. Plus I don't think anyone is called strictly by their nickname so you should know who each player is.

3. Rich nd Tommy are good announcers but they do get off track at times. Remember that they are trying to make the broadcast good for everybody, not just hard core baseball fans so they need to appeal to many types of viewers.

When you buy your first tickets and go to your first game, after the humidity brings the temperature to 100 degrees and you have experienced a rain delay of 90 minutes. Let us know how you feel?

I like nicknames in baseball BTW

When you buy your first tickets and go to your first game, after the humidity brings the temperature to 100 degrees and you have experienced a rain delay of 90 minutes. Let us know how you feel?

I like nicknames in baseball BTW

Normally one game a week is a day game and that is the only time it is uncomfortable to sit in the 100 level. Which is why we trade up and sit in the 200 level on those days. You deal with what you have.

Rain delays are a bit exagerrated as well. Out of 81 home games last year we had 11 rain delays for a total of 9 hours, 55 minutes. In 2006 we had 11 rain delays for a total of 5 hours, 5 minutes. Or to look at it another way...We average just under 10 rain delays a year for an average of about 9 1/2 hours a season. These numbers don't include this season and come from the 2008 Media Guide. Page 232. I bet they aren't that much different than other teams. With the exception of domed, retractable domes, and the few teams that get an annual rainfall that dosen't fill a coffee cup.

So MVETOY...Go to the games and have a great time. You will find folks that don't try to pass exagerrated theories off as fact and actually go regularly to the games.

Thank you all, when i visit here before my family would invite me to games now that i'm retired i would love to go to many games, i was watching the game last night and the play by play guy was discussing when the team is getting the Hammer back, my wife turn to me and ask who or what is Hammer? it is those things that are annoying, thank you all

PS. I still think the announcers are boring.

Thank you all, when i visit here before my family would invite me to games now that i'm retired i would love to go to many games, i was watching the game last night and the play by play guy was discussing when the team is getting the Hammer back, my wife turn to me and ask who or what is Hammer? it is those things that are annoying, thank you all

you'd be the expert

:whistle:

As far as broadcasts go, the best way to really have announcers who stay on track with the game is to listen to the game on the radio. For those in S. Florida 790 AM will do it. I often listen online or use my XM when the annoucers on the TV start boring me. I would love to get live broadcasts on an AM station up here in Jax.

As far as broadcasts go, the best way to really have announcers who stay on track with the game is to listen to the game on the radio. For those in S. Florida 790 AM will do it. I often listen online or use my XM when the annoucers on the TV start boring me. I would love to get live broadcasts on an AM station up here in Jax.

Doesn't XM radio just use the home team's radio announcers for their broadcasts?

Doesn't XM radio just use the home team's radio announcers for their broadcasts?

Yes, but MLB.com offers both. Sometimes listening to the opposing team's announcers is cool too though. It allows you to hear a different take on our team.

To each his own-can't see how that annoyed you-but again, go to the games and enjoy. Try listening to other teams, like the Braves, except for Boog, they will put you comatose by the 2nd inning.

Usualy, the nicknames would be obvious to as who they're referring to. The Hammer = Josh WillingHAM. "Alfredo the flying mexican" = Alfredo Amezaga, "Amazing Amezaga" = Alfredo Amezaga. "Gonzo" = Luis Gonzalez. "Jake" = Mike Jacobs, "Oly" = Scott Olsen, "Superman" = Kevin Gregg, "JJ" = Josh Johnson, lately "The Closer" = Wes Helms (given to him by Alfredo). I'm sure I have missed some, and maybe even got some wrong. This is just off the top of the head. As for Rich and Tommy, I used to find it really funny when Rich first came to the team, he screwed up a lot. He's gotten a lot better with more time with the team. I really enjoy the telecast, but sometimes they do get a bit repetitive. I have been forced to watch the Rays announcers during the Marlins and Rays series, and they're REALLY boring. And, watching many ESPN telecasts, I'm much happier with how Rich and Tommy call the games.

PS, The new guy who came from Boston on the 790 broadcasts is horrible. The tone of his voice drives me insane.

You'll get used to the nick names. As far as announcers, well, everyone is entitled to their opinion.