The 2008 Presidential Election

The Primary Season has come to an end, and we can now expect things to get tough, in the battle for the highest office in the United States.

Democratic Candidate: Barack H. Obama

Republican Candidate: John S. McCain

3rd Party:

Independent: Ralph Nadar

Libertarian: Bob Barr

Let the games begin.

It's really unfortunate. I've heard Ron Paul asked why he didn't just run on the Libertarian ticket and he says he'd rather work from inside the Republican party and try & affect change there, instead of having to fight his way through on a 3rd party ticket.

Can hardly blame him, but he'd do a heck of a lot for the Libertarian Party if he'd switch.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just want to make a random call here. I see Virginia going Blue this election. The Arlington/Alexandria area in Northern Virginia, where most of the voters are is very liberal and I see their numbers being strong enough to swing Virginia Blue.

We just voted Jim Webb (D) over George Allen ® in the senate (not ignoring the fact that Allen shot himself in the foot by using a racial slur during a campaign rally).

So, anyway, with liberal heavy Norther Virginia and a large black population, I see Virginia going Blue.....which I'm willing to bet hasn't happened a lot in history.

Who you all got for VP? For McCain, I think the best choice is Sarah Palin, the Governor of Alaska. She is young, very attractive, smart, conservatives love her, independents would love her, and honestly the number one strike against McCain going into the main election will be "he is just a third term of Bush", but I think with a young female VP like this, people will see him more as what his campaign is trying to paint him as: a maverick independent.

It would be a bold move, and she obviously wouldn't bring any swing states, but i'd love to see it.

I'm somewhat skeptical that VP choices actually influence elections. I think the last time it actually made a substantial difference was McGovern's bid in 1972.

I can get behind that. Although I think this might be a different case considering the race issues that will be prevalent this election. If McCain picks another generic white male...he is doomed in my opinion.

I'm somewhat skeptical that VP choices actually influence elections. I think the last time it actually made a substantial difference was McGovern's bid in 1972.

I can get behind that. Although I think this might be a different case considering the race issues that will be prevalent this election. If McCain picks another generic white male...he is doomed in my opinion.

I think the only thing that saves him is if he picks a Romney, Crist or a Lieberman.

For Obama I also think he needs to pick a smart choice that people can agree with. For the first time ever I think the general public will really care who the Veep's are. I know I do not like either and I hate Romney so if we see a McCain/Romney ticket I will have to think about what I will be doing.

BUT then again I was a Huckabee supporter so I am not a normal person I suppose :D

I think the only thing that saves him is if he picks a Romney, Crist or a Lieberman.

See I think that if he picks that type of boring, generic, white politician as his running mate Obama will have such an easy time painting him as more of the same/Bush #3.

He needs to throw a curveball by picking either a woman like Pulin, maybe a Bobby Jindal who is an Indian American that is widely loved by the most staunch conservatives, a young African American or Spanish conservative (I don't know of any good names).

See I think that if he picks that type of boring, generic, white politician as his running mate Obama will have such an easy time painting him as more of the same/Bush #3.

He needs to throw a curveball by picking either a woman like Pulin, maybe a Bobby Jindal who is an Indian American that is widely loved by the most staunch conservatives, a young African American or Spanish conservative (I don't know of any good names).

I can agree with Jindal. I think he would be a great pick and help him with the southern states, especially how he has turned around Louisiana.

On the other hand I am not a Sarah Palin fan, I think she is the most shallow because all she really offers is pro-drilling for oil and while that may be good right now I am not sure she is a great choice for VP.

I can agree with Jindal. I think he would be a great pick and help him with the southern states, especially how he has turned around Louisiana.

On the other hand I am not a Sarah Palin fan, I think she is the most shallow because all she really offers is pro-drilling for oil and while that may be good right now I am not sure she is a great choice for VP.

In modern day politics, marketing is more important than product or substance. Palin brings a nice marketing edge for McCain against Obama, and I like her stance on most issues.

Again, while you are free to disagree on this matter (it's more or less speculation) but even with the age/race issues at hand, I feel the only way the VP choices will noticeably influence the general if there is some crisis that consequently affects the presidential candidate's perceived character (as was the case with McGovern).

That's why I feel that 'diversifying' the ticket is something of a fallacy. I hope that both candidates choose the VPs almost entirely on competency.

I agree to an extent, I at least think it will be a major talking point this year. I do not think in 2000 or 2004 it was really a key talking point, but this year it will make people think. Especially with the conspiracy theorist who think McCain will die of old age and Obama will be killed.