Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Beast of the NL East

Featured Replies

This week in "That's Debatable" by Jayson Stark on ESPN.com the topic is the NL East and it lists the case for each team and Jason makes his pick (The Phillis) and users can debate on why one team should win it over the other. HEre is the link, let's get some PRO-Marlin responses!

 

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=21637

 

Monday's question, courtesy of Matt from New York:

 

"With the Mets and Phillies tied atop the National League East standings heading into their three-game series starting on Tuesday and the Marlins just a half-game out, there hasn't been a better time to debate: Who is going to win the NL East?"

 

The tightest division in baseball got even tighter over the weekend. So let's haul out our Ouija boards and try to sort out who's going to win the NL East.

 

THE CASE FOR THE PHILLIES

They've led the division, or at least have been tied for the lead, for the last 51 days in a row. They just traded for Joe Blanton, who should be a massive upgrade on Adam Eaton. And they're getting Brett Myers back after four sessions in the minor-league midseason renovation shop, during which he punched out 28 in 27 innings. So if those two moves stabilize their rotation, the numbers would indicate the Phillies ought to win this division--considering they lead the Mets and Marlins in runs scored, bullpen ERA and fielding percentage.

 

THE CASE FOR THE METS

It's September in reverse for the Mets. It took them less than four weeks to slice a 7.5-game Phillies lead to a half-game, just before the All-Star break. And they went from 5.5; out on the 4th of July to a tie for first quicker than you could say, ''10-game winning streak.'' So while there's still a debate about which of these teams is better, there's no doubt who's hotter. Since Jerry Manuel became their manager, the Mets are 19-12. They've averaged more than six runs a game. And they have a much more positive vibe, on and off the field.

 

THE CASE FOR THE MARLINS

OK, it's time to stop obsessing on the Marlins' run differential (minus-25). And their rotation ERA (5.15). And those messy defensive numbers (12 more errors than the next-worst defensive team in the National League). They're 98 games into the season. So who cares what their record ought to be. The Marlins are deep enough into the season that they are what their record says they are--namely, one very dangerous team. They lead the major leagues in homers (140). They have nine walkoff wins and 27 comeback wins. And their starting pitching is looking better all the time, with Josh Johnson off the DL, Anibal Sanchez not far behind and their best pitching prospect, Chris Volstad, finally in the big leagues. So why are people so quick to assume this team is going away?

 

THE VERDICT

The fashionable choice would be to pick the Mets, but I'm not going to let the last couple of weeks talk me into that. If I line up the Mets and Phillies, I'm hard-pressed to find an area in which I think the Mets are substantially better. The Phillies have outscored them, outpitched them and outfielded them. And you can look that up. I'd take the Phillies' lineup and bullpen over the Mets' lineup and 'pen. And while the Mets may have better starting pitching, the Blanton trade and those never-ending Pedro Martinez questions have narrowed that margin considerably. The Phillies haven't played well for a month now. But the Mets have enough age, health and chemistry issues that I'm still picking the Phillies to win the East. Disagree? Go right ahead. That's what we're here for.

I like how this guy "makes a case for the Marlins" but then doesn't even mention them AT ALL in "The Verdict." Oh we will give you a verdict!!!

The whole convo is nothign but Phillies-Mets right now. I've posted like 7 Marlins comments, and he didnt put up any of them

I literally posted like 40 Marlins related messages, and he didn't reply to a single one. the last message i left read "f*** you Stark"

I literally posted like 40 Marlins related messages, and he didn't reply to a single one. the last message i left read "f*** you Stark"

But he supports the Marlins more than anyone else! :rolleyes:

 

Oh, and also Pedro Feliz is better than Jorge Cantu...

 

And Anibal had Tommy John...

I like how this guy "makes a case for the Marlins" but then doesn't even mention them AT ALL in "The Verdict." Oh we will give you a verdict!!!

 

 

Yeah, and don't you also love how the first 1/2 of his "case" for us is nothing but pointing out our negatives? Stark is a moron.

I like how this guy "makes a case for the Marlins" but then doesn't even mention them AT ALL in "The Verdict." Oh we will give you a verdict!!!

 

 

:notworthy

 

couldn't have said it better, bro

I hate how everybody now thinks Uggla lacks at defense because of the ASG.

 

Marlins?: So far all the talk is about the Phillies and Mets, even with "The Verdict". I'm not saying I think they'll prevail but if we extend the position by position discussion you have to give the Marlins SS and 2B and can easily make arguments for 1B and the corner OF positions over the Mets. Their pitching is obviously suspect but the upside there seems to be far superior to that of the Mets with the youngsters they're moving into the rotation. At a half game out and even in the loss column shouldn't they at least be even money compared to the Mets, prior to any deals in the coming days?

 

SportsNation Jayson Stark: (1:22 PM ET ) You're right. It's time to introduce the Marlins into this discussion. I can't give them Uggla over Utley because of defense, although it's close. I obviously give them 2B over the Mets. I agree at shortstop, although again, the perception that Reyes hasn't had a good year doesn't match reality. Check his numbers again. Right now, you'd give the Marlins the edge in both corners over the Mets but in neither corner over the Phillies. If Church returns, that's a different story. The question is how we evalutate their pitching. I've been a bigger Marlins booster than just about anybody you'll find in the national media. But depending on young pitching, especially when it's this inexperienced, this time of year is too dangerous to make them the favorites. Nevertheless, you make a good point that their position players line up better against the Mets than the world seems to realize.

can any 1 find some shred of evidence that some sportscaster or reporter even believes the marlins can win the NL East

 

Orestes Destrade would like to have a word with you...

can any 1 find some shred of evidence that some sportscaster or reporter even believes the marlins can win the NL East

 

Orestes Destrade would like to have a word with you...

 

 

 

ok other then the next govner of florida cuz hes a beast

  • Author

I hate how everybody now thinks Uggla lacks at defense because of the ASG.

 

Marlins?: So far all the talk is about the Phillies and Mets, even with "The Verdict". I'm not saying I think they'll prevail but if we extend the position by position discussion you have to give the Marlins SS and 2B and can easily make arguments for 1B and the corner OF positions over the Mets. Their pitching is obviously suspect but the upside there seems to be far superior to that of the Mets with the youngsters they're moving into the rotation. At a half game out and even in the loss column shouldn't they at least be even money compared to the Mets, prior to any deals in the coming days?

 

SportsNation Jayson Stark: (1:22 PM ET ) You're right. It's time to introduce the Marlins into this discussion. I can't give them Uggla over Utley because of defense, although it's close. I obviously give them 2B over the Mets. I agree at shortstop, although again, the perception that Reyes hasn't had a good year doesn't match reality. Check his numbers again. Right now, you'd give the Marlins the edge in both corners over the Mets but in neither corner over the Phillies. If Church returns, that's a different story. The question is how we evalutate their pitching. I've been a bigger Marlins booster than just about anybody you'll find in the national media. But depending on young pitching, especially when it's this inexperienced, this time of year is too dangerous to make them the favorites. Nevertheless, you make a good point that their position players line up better against the Mets than the world seems to realize.

 

 

Uggla is a better defender than Utley.... also Uggla has committed less errors. He got that totally wrong.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.