July 27, 200818 yr There's nothing wrong with Fredi, he makes some dumb decisions, but we're not gonna really do any better with another manager. +1. +2
July 27, 200818 yr Go ahead and post reasons why you think Fredi is a good manager. Oh, and just because the Fish are playing above how we expected them to, DOESN'T make him a great manager. It means the team is more talented then we originally though. As others have said, the manager has very little effect, good or bad. your right lets just fire him because firing him would have no impact on the team the manager doesnt matter at all! what a jopke
July 27, 200818 yr Go ahead and post reasons why you think Fredi is a good manager. Oh, and just because the Fish are playing above how we expected them to, DOESN'T make him a great manager. It means the team is more talented then we originally though. As others have said, the manager has very little effect, good or bad. your right lets just fire him because firing him would have no impact on the team the manager doesnt matter at all! what a jopke He (LordMagnus) never said "Lets fire him."
July 27, 200818 yr Uhhh....wow.....reading comprehension....Did I say to fire Fredi? No. But you made it sound like our team is a bunch of losers who Fredi somehow waved his magic wand and made into winners. Its not so.
July 27, 200818 yr are you honestly for real???????????/ please to even try and critize is a joke... lowest payroll in baseball and is relevant in august? and your really complaining? obvs you really dont understand baseball and we dont need fans like you.... sorry to be so harsh but when its true its true Calm down there Cowboy...just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean they aren't a fan. c'mon are you seriously saying we should sit here and bash our manager???? this thread should never have happened.... honestly are you going to say he has had a bad year, i would LOVE to see a legitimate argument that says Fredi has done a bad job managing our fish. He is probably one of the top candidates for manager of the year and yet uninformed fans attack him, because he doesnt make every move they think he should. honestly its a joke, lowest payrol in baseball and theyre 1.5 games out of first place, but ya lets rip on him because he has done a terrible job...... this is why i dont post more often, i ve been around a lot longer than any of these posters, but yet my opinion is seen as being an a hole..... not right yeah man this bull sh*t stop bashing fredi, He's a great manager and all of you should be lucky to have him here. I never seen this before bashing a manger after winning one of the wins of the season and 1 game out of first! COME ON GUYS WAKE UP!!!!!!!!
July 27, 200818 yr Uhhh....wow.....reading comprehension....Did I say to fire Fredi? No. But you made it sound like our team is a bunch of losers who Fredi somehow waved his magic wand and made into winners. Its not so. ok you want proof that he has done an great job as manager? we have a league best 30 come from behind wins..... but yah he is terrible, he never motivated his players to win... look at our starters ERA, but yet we are only 1.5 games back, he has done a terrible job with our bullpen..... this is one of those what have you done for me lately threads, honeslty this doesnt need to happen, im normally a quiet poster, i read what other people say but i just cant take bashing our manager for no reason when he has done one of the best jobs in baseball this year.
July 27, 200818 yr People have yet to say what makes him a great manager. That's because they can't find a real reason. If a team wins, then the manager must be great, right? Did Fredi look great last year, when the team was struggling? The answer is no. Does he look better this year? Of course, because the team is playing better. I'm not saying Fredi is a horrible manager. And you can give credit to him all you want. But don't do it at the expense of the players. Don't say that our roster is crappy and shouldn't be winning games. That REALLY bugs me.
July 27, 200818 yr stop t man fredi is good with this young talent, how about this look at joe torre with all that talent over there with the dodgers and there not even 500. come on man give fredi some credit not saying negative things. I agree with him man this is the worst thread i seenZ!
July 27, 200818 yr People have yet to say what makes him a great manager. That's because they can't find a real reason. If a team wins, then the manager must be great, right? Did Fredi look great last year, when the team was struggling? The answer is no. Does he look better this year? Of course, because the team is playing better. I'm not saying Fredi is a horrible manager. And you can give credit to him all you want. But don't do it at the expense of the players. Don't say that our roster is crappy and shouldn't be winning games. That REALLY bugs me. No doubt people underestimated our roster, but at the same time to sit here and say that he is a poor manager is an insult to him c'mon how can you not admit that he has handle this team very well???? thats all were saying, no need to bash him because he doesnt play the exact style of baseball you are looking for.... and honestly there is only one way to measure managers, how they win, and he has done a fantastic job with the payroll given to him. I would be shocked if he is not in the top 3 managers of the year candidates, but lets write a thread about how we "need to look elsewhere"
July 27, 200818 yr People have yet to say what makes him a great manager. That's because they can't find a real reason. If a team wins, then the manager must be great, right? Did Fredi look great last year, when the team was struggling? The answer is no. Does he look better this year? Of course, because the team is playing better. I'm not saying Fredi is a horrible manager. And you can give credit to him all you want. But don't do it at the expense of the players. Don't say that our roster is crappy and shouldn't be winning games. That REALLY bugs me. While I agree with you a bit about the effect of a manager, I still think he has something (read as "a bit") to do with this team. He does look better than he did last year. That could be because the team is better. That could be because he has matured as a manager in his 2nd year. My bet is it's both.
July 27, 200818 yr A manager is only as good as his players, that's why the Marlins are an all or nothing team, if you're going to love the bombs you gotta take the K's. The players assembled on this team as a whole don't bunt well (ala Hermida) and seem unable to pull off hit and runs. Thats not Freddi's fault. Also the Fish knew Freddi's demeanor when they hired him, he's not Joe Girardi or Bobby Cox who he tutored under for a few seaons. Freddi has gotten thrown out of more game this year than he did last year. All things considered Freddi is doing a heck of a job to have this team in contention this late in the year. Just in case I reserve the right to demand he be fired if the Marlins lose the upcoming series to the Mets :blink:
July 27, 200818 yr A manager is only as good as his players, that's why the Marlins are an all or nothing team, if you're going to love the bombs you gotta take the K's. The players assembled on this team as a whole don't bunt well (ala Hermida) and seem unable to pull off hit and runs. Thats not Freddi's fault. Also the Fish knew Freddi's demeanor when they hired him, he's not Joe Girardi or Bobby Cox who he tutored under for a few seaons. Freddi has gotten thrown out of more game this year than he did last year. All things considered Freddi is doing a heck of a job to have this team in contention this late in the year. Just in case I reserve the right to demand he be fired if the Marlins lose the upcoming series to the Mets :blink: fan'o'seabass all rights reserved, i wont forget it, infact i expect it at some point in this hunt
July 27, 200818 yr All I know is I expected a horrible season (about where the Nats are) so to be 1.5 behind and six over and genuinely in contention is - every day - a joyful and wonderful surprise. I give credit where it's due and at least SOME credit should be given to our skipper. At the moment, I wouldn't swap Fredi for anyone.
July 27, 200818 yr Just looking at some of the points MarlinsGuru was making, and I was thinking the other day. Not too many people on this team really do know how to bunt. Hasn't hurt us much at all this season, but was none the less it was something that I thought about. There really aren't that m,any players in MLB that can bunt effectively. It's a lost art form that should be taught in the minors. So it's kinda hard to blame Fredi for that. I have no problem with the job he has done. I question some moves, but overall I would say very nice job. And I agree with whoever said it...He should be a candidate for MOY.
July 27, 200818 yr are you honestly for real???????????/ please to even try and critize is a joke... lowest payroll in baseball and is relevant in august? and your really complaining? obvs you really dont understand baseball and we dont need fans like you.... sorry to be so harsh but when its true its true Now that's way over the top. And uncalled for. There have been alot of other posters on this thread that have disagreed with the original poster and didn't feel a need to make it personal. Whether you or I agree with him makes no difference. he has a right to his opinion. He stated his reasons and came accross very well. I say we need more fans like him.
July 27, 200818 yr I may be alone in my thinking, but after watching Fredi Gonzalez manage this ball club for as long as he has, it continues to become ever more frustrating watching him run the team. And it is not because we are "losing", because I don't consider being two games behind as of this post, and several over .500 to be losing. But there are too many wrong things going on with this team, wrong things that can be corrected, that really show Fredi Gonzalez job as a manger has been a poor one. Some observations on Fredi that bother me: +No blood. No spark. He just sits down the whole game. It seems like he never argues a call. You don't see the type of interaction you would like to see between him and the players. It just looks like he lacks passion. Bobby Cox, who god knows how old he is by now, is much more animated than him. +Persistence with players. There have been so many times which we've had some of our bats really struggling, but instead of sitting them down for some of our good bench bats like Helms, he just keeps on with them. +Swinging for the fences. Yes, this is partly the player's fault, but it is a manager's responsibility to address a problem like this. Yes, the long ball has worked for us so far, but the team needs to be a bit more versatile on the plate. +Where are the squeezes? The hit and runs? Why can't half our team learn how to bunt? These are all issues, which while seemingly small, add up. This in my opinion contributes greatly to the team's success, and anyone who watched the 2003 season remembers we were chief in this department. We just lack in the whole "small things" department, and it is that department which a team like the Marlins needs to take advantage of. I would like to hear some input, criticizing, whatever. Preaching to the choir son. +500 It should also be noted that their defense miscues can be attributed to a lack of discipline, which is evidenced by managing (or lack thereof). I'm just glad somebody else started this string. I disagree with this statement. I consider it to be youthful inconsistencies. You can preach and preach and preach and yet inexperience will win out every time. In the "heat of the moment" a youthful player will have the tendancy to try and do too much. We see it all the time. And not just in the field either. Look at how they react in places that are known hitters parks. Short porches like in Cincy where they tend to get off what they should be doing and try to hit it out every pitch. Some things can be taught. Others just need to be learned the hard way. I also think alot of our IF errors are due to a very below average defensive 1B. I start sputtering when I see a throwing error chalked up that a decent 1B would have caught. Of course I got a chuckle out of that throwing error by the Cubs yesterday. Was it a bad throw? Yes. But DLee should have caught it. It just looked like he lost track of it, had no idea where the ball was. It happens to the best of them, and I do consider DLee to be amoung the best of them. But IMO that error was on him.
July 27, 200818 yr People have yet to say what makes him a great manager. That's because they can't find a real reason. If a team wins, then the manager must be great, right? Did Fredi look great last year, when the team was struggling? The answer is no. Does he look better this year? Of course, because the team is playing better. I'm not saying Fredi is a horrible manager. And you can give credit to him all you want. But don't do it at the expense of the players. Don't say that our roster is crappy and shouldn't be winning games. That REALLY bugs me. I don't think anyone has really said that. At least I haven't taken any comments that way. Personally I think we have a group of very talented players that are just showing their youthful inexperience at times. It's why I don't see them as real play off contenders this year. Very exciting, yes. And I am VERY happy with them. But next year I'll start feeling like we belong in the play offs.
July 27, 200818 yr People have yet to say what makes him a great manager. That's because they can't find a real reason. If a team wins, then the manager must be great, right? Did Fredi look great last year, when the team was struggling? The answer is no. Does he look better this year? Of course, because the team is playing better. I'm not saying Fredi is a horrible manager. And you can give credit to him all you want. But don't do it at the expense of the players. Don't say that our roster is crappy and shouldn't be winning games. That REALLY bugs me. While I agree with you a bit about the effect of a manager, I still think he has something (read as "a bit") to do with this team. He does look better than he did last year. That could be because the team is better. That could be because he has matured as a manager in his 2nd year. My bet is it's both. And I think you would be in error if you didn't also include a couple of the coaches that are just in their second year in the majors. The entire team, from the manager on down to the worst player are basically all learning and developing together.
July 27, 200818 yr People have yet to say what makes him a great manager. That's because they can't find a real reason. If a team wins, then the manager must be great, right? Did Fredi look great last year, when the team was struggling? The answer is no. Does he look better this year? Of course, because the team is playing better. I'm not saying Fredi is a horrible manager. And you can give credit to him all you want. But don't do it at the expense of the players. Don't say that our roster is crappy and shouldn't be winning games. That REALLY bugs me. While I agree with you a bit about the effect of a manager, I still think he has something (read as "a bit") to do with this team. He does look better than he did last year. That could be because the team is better. That could be because he has matured as a manager in his 2nd year. My bet is it's both. And I think you would be in error if you didn't also include a couple of the coaches that are just in their second year in the majors. The entire team, from the manager on down to the worst player are basically all learning and developing together. Well, we were just talking about Fredi, so I was just talking about him. That said, I want the head of Jim Presley for trying to ruin Jeremy Hermida and Josh Willingham to a lesser extent.
July 27, 200818 yr People have yet to say what makes him a great manager. That's because they can't find a real reason. If a team wins, then the manager must be great, right? Did Fredi look great last year, when the team was struggling? The answer is no. Does he look better this year? Of course, because the team is playing better. I'm not saying Fredi is a horrible manager. And you can give credit to him all you want. But don't do it at the expense of the players. Don't say that our roster is crappy and shouldn't be winning games. That REALLY bugs me. While I agree with you a bit about the effect of a manager, I still think he has something (read as "a bit") to do with this team. He does look better than he did last year. That could be because the team is better. That could be because he has matured as a manager in his 2nd year. My bet is it's both. And I think you would be in error if you didn't also include a couple of the coaches that are just in their second year in the majors. The entire team, from the manager on down to the worst player are basically all learning and developing together. Well, we were just talking about Fredi, so I was just talking about him. That said, I want the head of Jim Presley for trying to ruin Jeremy Hermida and Josh Willingham to a lesser extent. yea honestly i think hermida and hammer are better by taking the fist pitch the look more relaxed any 1 think if we continue to have sucess if Fredi Can be in contention for MANGER OF THE YEAR
July 27, 200818 yr People have yet to say what makes him a great manager. That's because they can't find a real reason. If a team wins, then the manager must be great, right? Did Fredi look great last year, when the team was struggling? The answer is no. Does he look better this year? Of course, because the team is playing better. I'm not saying Fredi is a horrible manager. And you can give credit to him all you want. But don't do it at the expense of the players. Don't say that our roster is crappy and shouldn't be winning games. That REALLY bugs me. While I agree with you a bit about the effect of a manager, I still think he has something (read as "a bit") to do with this team. He does look better than he did last year. That could be because the team is better. That could be because he has matured as a manager in his 2nd year. My bet is it's both. And I think you would be in error if you didn't also include a couple of the coaches that are just in their second year in the majors. The entire team, from the manager on down to the worst player are basically all learning and developing together. Well, we were just talking about Fredi, so I was just talking about him. That said, I want the head of Jim Presley for trying to ruin Jeremy Hermida and Josh Willingham to a lesser extent. yea honestly i think hermida and hammer are better by taking the fist pitch the look more relaxed any 1 think if we continue to have sucess if Fredi Can be in contention for MANGER OF THE YEAR there rally isn't a good manager for MOTY, but it will come down to either Fredi or Lou Pinella, Fredi is not a great manager, but we are winning so there really isn't much to complain about
July 27, 200818 yr People have yet to say what makes him a great manager. That's because they can't find a real reason. If a team wins, then the manager must be great, right? Did Fredi look great last year, when the team was struggling? The answer is no. Does he look better this year? Of course, because the team is playing better. I'm not saying Fredi is a horrible manager. And you can give credit to him all you want. But don't do it at the expense of the players. Don't say that our roster is crappy and shouldn't be winning games. That REALLY bugs me. While I agree with you a bit about the effect of a manager, I still think he has something (read as "a bit") to do with this team. He does look better than he did last year. That could be because the team is better. That could be because he has matured as a manager in his 2nd year. My bet is it's both. And I think you would be in error if you didn't also include a couple of the coaches that are just in their second year in the majors. The entire team, from the manager on down to the worst player are basically all learning and developing together. Well, we were just talking about Fredi, so I was just talking about him. That said, I want the head of Jim Presley for trying to ruin Jeremy Hermida and Josh Willingham to a lesser extent. yea honestly i think hermida and hammer are better by taking the fist pitch the look more relaxed any 1 think if we continue to have sucess if Fredi Can be in contention for MANGER OF THE YEAR there rally isn't a good manager for MOTY, but it will come down to either Fredi or Lou Pinella, Fredi is not a great manager, but we are winning so there really isn't much to complain about or the mets new manager if they get into the players
July 27, 200818 yr Author are you honestly for real???????????/ please to even try and critize is a joke... lowest payroll in baseball and is relevant in august? and your really complaining? obvs you really dont understand baseball and we dont need fans like you.... sorry to be so harsh but when its true its true I didn't know fans were not allowed to criticize their team, that's news to me. Fans are entitled to have high expectations for their teams. And as for "fans like me," I actually try to go to as many games as I can, even though when it comes down to it I really cannot afford to go to games. And I think really, anyone who posts on this forum and has followed this team as long as many of us have, is what being a true fan is all about. But back to what this thread was really started for, I would just like to add that the role of the manager is not to win games for the team (that's impossible), but to tap the team's potential to the greatest extent possible, which is something I think Fredi has not been to good at. I know I'm not alone in my disapproval of Fredi. I know many other fans who feel the same way as I do, and I'm surprised the media has not been ragging on him. After all, they really put a lot of heat on McKeon, a better manager, (although from the 2004 standppoint, more understandable with the higher payroll that team had back then ,etc.
July 27, 200818 yr I said something similar earlier this year, I would like to see Fredi show more fire and at times (he has.) Overall: It doesn't come down to the mangers it comes down to the players on the field.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.