Cameron Maybin's number

sdg210

If I recall, Miggy wanted 24 and had to "earn it" according to Tony since 24 was his number. I just saw Maybin is wearing 24 did he just get a pass? I mean, Miggy had to earn it. Does anyone know any details about this?

Your right. Miguel wanted #24 when he got called up in 2003, but it belonged to Tony Perez, so he wore #20. After that season, Perez said Cabrera had earned it, thus he started the 2004 season with #24.

I dont know about the number in Maybin's case. My best guess is that Perez has had a new number since he gave 24 away like 4 years ago and Maybin picked it because it was available.

If I recall, Miggy wanted 24 and had to "earn it" according to Tony since 24 was his number. I just saw Maybin is wearing 24 did he just get a pass? I mean, Miggy had to earn it. Does anyone know any details about this?

Your right. Miguel wanted #24 when he got called up in 2003, but it belonged to Tony Perez, so he wore #20. After that season, Perez said Cabrera had earned it, thus he started the 2004 season with #24.

I dont know about the number in Maybin's case. My best guess is that Perez has had a new number since he gave 24 away like 4 years ago and Maybin picked it because it was available.

Actually, Tony never changed numbers. He kept wearing 24, even after he "let" Miggie wear it. Perez, and Dawson as well, aren't on the player or coaching rosters, so they don't actually get assigned jersey numbers. They are just allowed to wear jerseys as a courtesy from the organization.

That said, I don't see why anyone should have to "earn" #24 since Tony never played for us and only managed in one crappy season. It bothers me way more to see Kensing wearing #19 than it does Maybin not "earning" a number from a guy who isn't ever though of in association with the Marlins.