Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Marlins Release Sergio Mitre

Featured Replies

I am not shocked at all. We had no need for him at the price he would have commanded with all the competition we will have come spring training. I don't think their is any secure spots on our rotation besides maybe Nolasco.

I am not shocked at all. We had no need for him at the price he would have commanded with all the competition we will have come spring training. I don't think their is any secure spots on our rotation besides maybe Nolasco.

 

 

what about JJ, he looks to be a lock in the Rotation and Maybe even Volastad.

 

But Anibal, Andrew, RVH, Badenhop, etc will all be fighting for there spot in the Rotation hopefully we have

Ricky

JJ

Miller

Volstad

Anibal(or new aquisition)

I am not shocked at all. We had no need for him at the price he would have commanded with all the competition we will have come spring training. I don't think their is any secure spots on our rotation besides maybe Nolasco.

...and JJ.

Volstad is also pretty much anchored into the rotation, i don't see any scenario in which he would start the season in the minors

And another former poster, who told me about this site, is reaching for a celebratory beer. To each his own.

 

Spike? Somewhere, some place Spike is celebrating with a case of Pabst Blue Ribbon.

I thought of Spike also....He could never pass up a chance to bash Mitre. He was obsessed with his demise. If Spike's still in "good-standing" on the board, he'll be back to take another "jab" at him....I can't see him passing up the opportunity....

 

Good Luck Sergio.....

Just because we released him doesn't mean he won't be back. He was going to make over a million in arbitration and he wasn't worth that, given our extreme payroll constraints and the fact that we have a lot of other guys to worry about. I doubt there will be a major league deal waiting for him, so he could come back on a minor league deal.

Just because we released him doesn't mean he won't be back. He was going to make over a million in arbitration and he wasn't worth that, given our extreme payroll constraints and the fact that we have a lot of other guys to worry about. I doubt there will be a major league deal waiting for him, so he could come back on a minor league deal.

 

i was thinking that too.

i love Mitre but in a way I am glad they released him. This proves that they will keep Nolasco, JJ, Volstad, and either Olsen or Anibal. Best of wishes to you Mitre (but i'll want you to blow out your arm if you go to the mutts or the phillies lol)

Probs not the right place for this but it does regard pitching and I dont really want to start a new thread based solely on this:

 

How do u guys see Rick VandenHurk fitting into the system? I know he is by no means a front runner for a rotation spot in 2009 and will likely start the year in the minors. However he is only 23 and has shown occasional flashes of his long term potential in some of his few starts in the majors. I would definately consider him one of the top options to fill in should one of our starters get injured.

Probs not the right place for this but it does regard pitching and I dont really want to start a new thread based solely on this:

 

How do u guys see Rick VandenHurk fitting into the system? I know he is by no means a front runner for a rotation spot in 2009 and will likely start the year in the minors. However he is only 23 and has shown occasional flashes of his long term potential in some of his few starts in the majors. I would definately consider him one of the top options to fill in should one of our starters get injured.

He will probably be involved in a trade of some kind, I feel he would be a good addition to the Bullpen but the Marlins have not taken any step in that direction. He is talented and still has a very high ceiling, he will be a valuable trade commodity

Probs not the right place for this but it does regard pitching and I dont really want to start a new thread based solely on this:

 

How do u guys see Rick VandenHurk fitting into the system? I know he is by no means a front runner for a rotation spot in 2009 and will likely start the year in the minors. However he is only 23 and has shown occasional flashes of his long term potential in some of his few starts in the majors. I would definately consider him one of the top options to fill in should one of our starters get injured.

 

I imagine RVH will get at least one more shot down the road, whether its out of the gate or when somebody else goes down I don't know. If he doesn't do well, though, I imagine it will be his last in the rotation for us. It's not a matter of potential, he just needs to make real strides in his command and his ability to stay ahead of hitter's and then put them away. He's got major league stuff but he hasn't learned to harness it yet.

 

We've got prospects like Sean West that will be eventually getting the spot start opportunities that he has.

Probs not the right place for this but it does regard pitching and I dont really want to start a new thread based solely on this:

 

How do u guys see Rick VandenHurk fitting into the system? I know he is by no means a front runner for a rotation spot in 2009 and will likely start the year in the minors. However he is only 23 and has shown occasional flashes of his long term potential in some of his few starts in the majors. I would definately consider him one of the top options to fill in should one of our starters get injured.

 

I imagine RVH will get at least one more shot down the road, whether its out of the gate or when somebody else goes down I don't know. If he doesn't do well, though, I imagine it will be his last in the rotation for us. It's not a matter of potential, he just needs to make real strides in his command and his ability to stay ahead of hitter's and then put them away. He's got major league stuff but he hasn't learned to harness it yet.

 

We've got prospects like Sean West that will be eventually getting the spot start opportunities that he has.

 

Yeah he has great stuff

95 MPH Fastball and a Sharp curve

as you said if he learns to control his pitchs and get ahead of hitters he'd be a serious contender for a spot in the rotation for any team.

I remebsr watchin Mitre at a ST game this year at the Orioles he threw like 5 pitches and i saw him pointing to his fore am when the trainer came out and i was like oh no and he came out.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.