October 2, 200818 yr Author plus the fact that Rabelo, Burke Badenhop and Harvey Garcia are still on the 60-day DL and don't count on the 40 man roster right now.
October 2, 200818 yr The ideal lineup in 2009 is Baker, Cantu, Coghlan/Uggla, McPhereson, Hanley, Raynor, Maybin, and Hermida. ehhh not my ideal lineup personally I would like to find someone new out in left field instead of raynor I want more punch there for my dollar
October 2, 200818 yr plus the fact that Rabelo, Burke Badenhop and Harvey Garcia are still on the 60-day DL and don't count on the 40 man roster right now. Actually, there is no more 40 man roster or 60 day DL. Right now, it's just "secondary roster". The Marlins don't have to worry about cutting the secondary roster to 40 men until day one of the 09 season. However, these are preemptive moves. Generally, it's easier to pass people through waivers right now then it would be during ST.
October 3, 200818 yr The ideal lineup in 2009 is Baker, Cantu, Coghlan/Uggla, McPhereson, Hanley, Raynor, Maybin, and Hermida. ehhh not my ideal lineup personally I would like to find someone new out in left field instead of raynor I want more punch there for my dollar Hes got just as much punch as the first baseman everyone is foaming at the mouth for.
October 3, 200818 yr The ideal lineup in 2009 is Baker, Cantu, Coghlan/Uggla, McPhereson, Hanley, Raynor, Maybin, and Hermida. ehhh not my ideal lineup personally I would like to find someone new out in left field instead of raynor I want more punch there for my dollar Hes got just as much punch as the first baseman everyone is foaming at the mouth for. You mean the guy who was 7th in SLG? Ah, in that case, I am sold on Raynor! Thanks Jimmy!
October 3, 200818 yr Oh please. Raynor slugged all of .024 less than Sanchez. .002 less OBP. If you like Gaby Sanchez, you have to like Raynor.
October 3, 200818 yr Oh please. Raynor slugged all of .024 less than Sanchez. .002 less OBP. If you like Gaby Sanchez, you have to like Raynor. Do not.
October 3, 200818 yr Oh please. Raynor slugged all of .024 less than Sanchez. .002 less OBP. If you like Gaby Sanchez, you have to like Raynor. Do not. Do too! OK, actually you don't.
October 3, 200818 yr So you like a light hitting first baseman that can barely outproduce a prototypical 4th outfielder?
October 3, 200818 yr So you like a light hitting first baseman that can barely outproduce a prototypical 4th outfielder? First Baseman who Hits 330 15+ HR 80+ RBI > LF who Hits 280 2 HR 50+ RBI 30+ SB
October 3, 200818 yr John Raynor career in the minors: .316/.405/.490 Gaby Sanchez career in the minors: .305/.397/.487 John Raynor this year (at AA Carolina, age 24): .312/.402/.489 Gaby Sanchez this year (at AA Carolina, age 24): .314/.404/.513 I'm with Jimmy here...if you like Gaby at 1B next year (a position usually good for offense), you can't really automatically say you don't want Raynor b/c his SLG wouldn't nearly match up to other corner OF'ers.
October 3, 200818 yr So you like a light hitting first baseman that can barely outproduce a prototypical 4th outfielder? First Baseman who Hits 330 15+ HR 80+ RBI > LF who Hits 280 2 HR 50+ RBI 30+ SB HTF did you come up with the 2 home run number for Raynor when Gaby Sanchez hit 17 HRs vs. John Raynor's 13??
October 3, 200818 yr So you like a light hitting first baseman that can barely outproduce a prototypical 4th outfielder? First Baseman who Hits 330 15+ HR 80+ RBI > LF who Hits 280 2 HR 50+ RBI 30+ SB Where did you get these #'s from?
October 3, 200818 yr So you like a light hitting first baseman that can barely outproduce a prototypical 4th outfielder? I never even said I liked Gaby, the top slugging "light hitting first baseman" in AA history, I assume. But no, you don't have to like them both, especially when one won the MVP and the award for best fielding 1B in the league and the other is still criticized for taking bad routes. And Raynor isn't the prototypical 4th OF, he's the prototypical CF. The only problem is that we kinda have a guy ready to man center for us.
October 3, 200818 yr So you like a light hitting first baseman that can barely outproduce a prototypical 4th outfielder? I never even said I liked Gaby, the top slugging "light hitting first baseman" in AA history, I assume. But no, you don't have to like them both, especially when one won the MVP and the award for best fielding 1B in the league and the other is still criticized for taking bad routes. And Raynor isn't the prototypical 4th OF, he's the prototypical CF. The only problem is that we kinda have a guy ready to man center for us. By Gaby's career norms(1 2B/13 ABs, 1 HR/34 ABs so far in his minor league career, if I remember my math), he would be a 20-30ish 2B and 10-15 HR player(taking adjustment to MLB pitching into account). That is a light hitting first baseman no matter how you want to spin it. Those numbers wouldn't be much more than decent for a second baseman.
October 3, 200818 yr John Raynor career in the minors: .316/.405/.490 Gaby Sanchez career in the minors: .305/.397/.487 John Raynor this year (at AA Carolina, age 24): .312/.402/.489 Gaby Sanchez this year (at AA Carolina, age 24): .314/.404/.513 I'm with Jimmy here...if you like Gaby at 1B next year (a position usually good for offense), you can't really automatically say you don't want Raynor b/c his SLG wouldn't nearly match up to other corner OF'ers. I absolutely can say that. Gaby has the body type, and a much better BB/K rate, to progress and translate to the bigs. He has enough power where pitchers will have to respect him, and he has the discipline to take advantage of it. I do not think he will be a world beater, but he should be a solid Sean Casey or James Loney type. Raynor, does not have a swing that will be conducive of power despite his minor league success. This is unanimous looking at all scouting impressions. He's not going to routinely attack gaps, and the HR power will relatively dissipate. His lack of power will be exposed at higher levels and he will be pounded with strikes. His high K rate is going to effect his contact now, and you can see where this is going where it's all down hill. More strikes, hurts the walk rate where Raynor's value is going to come from. Raynor is not Victorino. I think he can become a MLB player, but a better idea is a better Endy Chavez because he will BB a little bit. I like him, but this is a really bad analogy compared to Gaby.
October 3, 200818 yr Comparing Gaby Sanchez to John Raynor now? Ya'll gone crazy. Edit: I see Lou has commented on my behalf already.
October 3, 200818 yr By Gaby's career norms(1 2B/13 ABs, 1 HR/34 ABs so far in his minor league career, if I remember my math), he would be a 20-30ish 2B and 10-15 HR player(taking adjustment to MLB pitching into account). That is a light hitting first baseman no matter how you want to spin it. Those numbers wouldn't be much more than decent for a second baseman. Absolutely. No one is arguing against that. But if you splits Gaby vs LHP (drills it), and give Cantu/G. Sanchez a platoon vs RHP at 1B, that should create pretty solid offensive numbers and won't be a drop because their production will be much more OBP heavy. Defense, would be laughably stronger. They'd probably gain 15-20 runs on their +/- over Jacobs just in the field. Longterm, you'd hope Gaby improves but we'll see how that goes. At minimum, he should be more than adequate to get to Morrison. That's what really matters.
October 3, 200818 yr What do you guys think Gaby's SLG% would translate to, in the bigs? I really think Lou's idea is the way to go next year, right now. The 3B-McPherson/1B-Cantu vs. RHP, 3B-Cantu/1B-Gaby vs. LHP. If the organization went by the #'s...this would seem to be the logical situation.
October 3, 200818 yr What do you guys think Gaby's SLG% would translate to, in the bigs? Right away low 400's, if everything goes right upper mid 400s.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.