Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Marlins Outright De Aza, Owens, Gardner and Waechter

Featured Replies

The Marlins continued tweaking their 40-man roster, outrighting outfielder Alejandro De Aza and relievers Henry Owens, Lee Gardner and Doug Waechter to Triple A New Orleans. That leaves the Marlins with 38 players on the 40-man.

De Aza (ankle) and Owens (shoulder) spent the entire season on the disabled list while Gardner (right elbow) was on the DL from mid-April on.

 

In another transaction, minor-league pitcher Scott Nestor was claimed off waivers by the Phillies.

 

LINK

Why Doug Waechter? I could understand the rest, but Waechter makes no sense

Sorry for my lack of knowledge but does this mean other teams can now claim them?

Or do we keep them meaning they still have a chance of being on our team next year?

Awe, that sucks. Gardy gone, Dougie Fresh gone, fellow bulldog Henry Owens gone, and Alpha Omega De Aza gone.

 

Gardy, we'll always have that miracle 2007 year.

Dougie, we'll always have that miracle 2008 year.

De Aza, we'll always have those 8 games where you hit over .300 before disappearing.

Owens, we'll always have that moment when you didn't realize that I knew you went to Braddock.

 

I will miss them all.

 

EDIT: Actually, they are all still in the organization. Nevermind.

They're all replaceable.

 

I'm a Henry Owens fan, though. I believe, if given the chance in Spring Training (pending he can stay healthy)...that he'd get a spot in the pen.

Someone who knows more about playoff roster rules: Could the Phillies legally use Nestor in the playoffs this year even though he's not on the playoff roster right now?

They're all replaceable.

 

I'm a Henry Owens fan, though. I believe, if given the chance in Spring Training (pending he can stay healthy)...that he'd get a spot in the pen.

I'd like to keep him around too. He showed some potential before he got hurt in '07.

Awe, that sucks. Gardy gone, Dougie Fresh gone, fellow bulldog Henry Owens gone, and Alpha Omega De Aza gone.

 

Gardy, we'll always have that miracle 2007 year.

Dougie, we'll always have that miracle 2008 year.

De Aza, we'll always have those 8 games where you hit over .300 before disappearing.

Owens, we'll always have that moment when you didn't realize that I knew you went to Braddock.

 

I will miss them all.

 

EDIT: Actually, they are all still in the organization. Nevermind.

The Marlins would have to sign Waecther and Gardner because I believe they are past options. Rotoworld is agreeing with this. They are pretty much gone. The other two will be around.

 

Pretty surprised on Waecther, but really no big deal. They could save about $250k on playing Tucker/Cruz in the backend of the pen versus paying Waecther in the $600ish range through arbitration. Can't see how that is the determinative fact though. I'm guessing it's the post all star implosion (1.84 whip, small innings but you'd imagine the league figured it out).

I feel bad for DeAza. He's had some sh*tty luck. I hope he kills it in AAA and gets back on to the 40 man. Will he be invited to ST. He should after his last two ST performances.

I feel bad for DeAza. He's had some sh*tty luck. I hope he kills it in AAA and gets back on to the 40 man. Will he be invited to ST. He should after his last two ST performances.

ADA will be at ST he just isn't on the 40 man roster. Owens will be rehabbing probably but he should be back. Lee Gardner will be fighting for a roster spot as well. Let the reshaping of the roster continue!

 

BTW I liked Nestor

All replaceable. Like Erick says, relievers rise and fall every year. As for De Aza, raynor can take his place

I feel bad for DeAza. He's had some sh*tty luck. I hope he kills it in AAA and gets back on to the 40 man. Will he be invited to ST. He should after his last two ST performances.

The only problem with De Aza is, besides spring training-for lack of a better term-he just sucks.

I feel bad for DeAza. He's had some sh*tty luck. I hope he kills it in AAA and gets back on to the 40 man. Will he be invited to ST. He should after his last two ST performances.

The only problem with De Aza is, besides spring training-for lack of a better term-he just sucks.

 

A bit harsh considering the guy has been really unlucky with injuries.

I feel bad for DeAza. He's had some sh*tty luck. I hope he kills it in AAA and gets back on to the 40 man. Will he be invited to ST. He should after his last two ST performances.

The only problem with De Aza is, besides spring training-for lack of a better term-he just sucks.

 

A bit harsh considering the guy has been really unlucky with injuries.

Not really harsh at all. MLB pitching figured him out quickly and then it got embarrassing very fast. He had no chance.

I feel bad for DeAza. He's had some sh*tty luck. I hope he kills it in AAA and gets back on to the 40 man. Will he be invited to ST. He should after his last two ST performances.

The only problem with De Aza is, besides spring training-for lack of a better term-he just sucks.

 

A bit harsh considering the guy has been really unlucky with injuries.

 

Right. He flat out won the CF job two years in a row and got taken out by injury. The last time by John Raynor no less(conspiracy anyone :mis2 ). Cut the guy some slack. It's not fair to base your assesment on his last month of 2007 when he came back from his first injury.

I hope De Aza can finally get healthy and maybe win a starting spot in LF opposite Cody in RF and Maybin in CF. I figure that would be a defensive upgrade in the OF, right?

 

And I hope that whoever we can hang onto from the bullpen does well in 09. Can't ever have too much bullpen.

I think Gardner and Waechter can refuse their assignments and become free agents, DeAza and Owens are taken off the 40 and will now eligible for the Rule 5 draft

I hope De Aza can finally get healthy and maybe win a starting spot in LF opposite Cody in RF and Maybin in CF. I figure that would be a defensive upgrade in the OF, right?

 

And I hope that whoever we can hang onto from the bullpen does well in 09. Can't ever have too much bullpen.

You want a guy in LF that would struggle to slug .300?

I hope De Aza can finally get healthy and maybe win a starting spot in LF opposite Cody in RF and Maybin in CF. I figure that would be a defensive upgrade in the OF, right?

 

And I hope that whoever we can hang onto from the bullpen does well in 09. Can't ever have too much bullpen.

You want a guy in LF that would struggle to slug .300?

Well, ideally I'd like to think that a healthy De Aza would SLG a bit more over 300, and I don't think his limited MLB numbers are a fair enough sample size. But besides that I don't think slugging will be a problem on this team. Or do you think we should dump the 300ish slugging Amezaga too? Because I think a 2009 Marlins team that includes Hanley, Uggla, Ross, Cantu, Baker, and McPherson is not that far fetched, and I don't think it will need another slugger in LF.

The ideal lineup in 2009 is Baker, Cantu, Coghlan/Uggla, McPhereson, Hanley, Raynor, Maybin, and Hermida.

Why outright all of these guys and not Mike Rabelo?

 

God, I hate mentoning or even thinking of that name.

Perhaps he'll get a shot at being the #2 catcher behind Baker. Who knows, he may do better if used primarily as a RHB. This year he played almost exclusively against RHP to hit Lefty. Backup catcher will be one of those unsettled spots on the roster that will need to be hashed out in ST. No sense in dumping a guy who could factor in for cheap if you don't have to.

Just compare him to the only other position player on that list - De Aza. Injuries aside, the real problem with De Aza is that he primarily plays a position where the Marlins are pretty well set now for a while. Rabelo, as a candidate for 2009 backup catcher isn't blocked like that.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.