Payroll or Chemistry

trahernsfriend

I see several who are excited about the money that the Marlins are planning on spending. It got me to thinking which is more important payroll or chemsitry.

There are good examples of team chemistry this year. You have the Yankees and their huge payroll sitting at home, while the Rays and their low payroll playing in the World Series.

MarlinsLou just PMed me and said he prefers chemistry...I mean think about: The Phillies are winning the world Series right now and why? It's obvious that those players like each other, plus you have guys like Matt Stairs who is a veteran that provides 'grit' and Greg Dobbs who is the ultimate 'hustle' guy. If you don't like each other you can't hit the ball very far.

Hustle+Grit+Chemistry = World Series. At least that's what Lou taught me. That's one of the reasons I propose we trade Dan Uggla for a David Eckstein type package+.

That has nothing to do with chemistry. That is a branch of science that deals with the identification of substances of which matter is composed. The Rays are not awesome because of that.

The Rays are awesome because they built their farm system with insane prospects like Kaz, Longoria, Shields, BJ, Price, etc, and made a few nice trades/acquisitions with Garza, Pena, Jackson, Bartlett, Iwamura, Bradford, etc. Not because they like each other.

The Marlins are going to be awesome because they built their farm system with a flurry of SP prospects, an absolutely loaded positional farm system from the last 3 drafts, and have made a few excellent other acquisitions (Hanley, Maybin, Miller, Baker, and Lindstrom -trade, Uggla-Rule V, Cantu, Ross, McPherson, and Nelson-cheap FA acquisitions).

Payroll is irrelevant. It's about building your team anyway you can, and we're doing it through the minors. And being serious about "chemistry," WINNING creates chemistry and you WIN by building an awesome team regardless if the player is cost-controlled or if they cost $10 million a season.

Also, Jim Leyland hates you.

MarlinsLou just PMed me and said he prefers chemistry...I mean think about: The Phillies are winning the world Series right now and why? It's obvious that those players like each other, plus you have guys like Matt Stairs who is a veteran that provides 'grit' and Greg Dobbs who is the ultimate 'hustle' guy. If you don't like each other you can't hit the ball very far.

Hustle+Grit+Chemistry = World Series. At least that's what Lou taught me. That's one of the reasons I propose we trade Dan Uggla for a David Eckstein type package+.

He told me the exact same thing. He thinks its one of the most important things when building a team.

Honestly ill take payroll over chem any day.

Jim Leyland's lack of faith in chemistry is the obvious reason why the Tigers were so bad this year. They needed some more team building exercises; maybe they should have taken the whole team to a club med or something in spring training?

Here is the equation of how I break it down -

Tigers being Bad + Jim Leyland Manages them + high payroll + Jim Leyland doesn't believe in chemistry = proves a team liking each other > Talent.

Don't deny that, that's math.

Team "chemistry" is the most overrated aspect of baseball, period.

Well, since you deny my math I'll give you picture evidence. Who is winning the World Series? The Phillies, who obviously have better chemistry. Here are some pictures:

Now look at how only 1 guy is smiling, nobody seems happy, they are down in the dumps, they look insincere, they simply don't like each other and it is showing on the field. Now look at the Phillies -

Happy, exuberant, joyful... they literally love each other and would go to war with the guy next to him. They have fun; they are the definition of chemistry and again..it shows on the field.

Now I have math and pictures to prove my said and you only have opinion. I win.

Well, since you deny my math I'll give you picture evidence. Who is winning the World Series? The Phillies, who obviously have better chemistry. Here are some pictures:

Now look at how only 1 guy is smiling, nobody seems happy, they are down in the dumps, they look insincere, they simply don't like each other and it is showing on the field. Now look at the Phillies -

Happy, exuberant, joyful... they literally love each other and would go to war with the guy next to him. They have fun; they are the definition of chemistry and again..it shows on the field.

you know the rays did the sanme exact thing the phillies are doing in that picture when they won important games, right?

First of all, as Ernesto already said, the Rays did the same exact thing when they won the ALCS. You just happened to pick a picture out from the Phillies winning the NLCS and the Rays winning one regular season game.

Even if the Ray's players never do smile, they're still in the WS. Don't you think that's an accomplishment?

Here's a picture. The Nats sure seem to have good team chemistry. How did they do this past season? :thumbup

I'll also give you a math equation:

Talent > Payroll > Manager > Training Facilities > Veteran Presence > Team Chemistry.

What do I win?

First of all, as Ernesto already said, the Rays did the same exact thing when they won the ALCS. You just happened to pick a picture out from the Phillies winning the NLCS and the Rays winning one regular season game.

Even if the Ray's players never do smile, they're still in the WS. Don't you think that's an accomplishment?

Here's a picture. The Nats sure seem to have good team chemistry. How did they do this past season? :thumbup

I'll also give you a math equation:

Talent > Payroll > Manager > Training Facilities > Veteran Presence > Team Chemistry.

What do I win?

Ok, now you are just twisting the facts and also proving my point at the same time. Yes the Rays being in the WS is an accomplishment and proves during the season they had chemistry, but now they don't which is why they are losing...

The Nats in that picture appear to be happy, but looking at their W-L record it is obvious that they are faking it. They truly did not have TRUE chemistry, or they would have won more.

Your "math" isn't real math either, it's just your opinion.

There is a reason why Barry Bonds doesn't have a ring and Todd Hollandsworth does.

And it's not talent. It's because Todd helped out with team chemistry while Barry Bonds only cared about getting on base and not making outs.

More like Selfish Bonds to me.

Bonds clogs the bases. Jerk.

No need for name calling. Just because I believe that the way you treat someone translates better into making wins, doesn't mean you have to get all fussy with me.

Not sure if it was mentioned, but I think someone like Nick Punto or David Eckstein or Darin Erstad would be a great veteran presence for the Marlins. They are all just absolute firecrackers that pitchers hate and fans love!

There is a reason why Barry Bonds doesn't have a ring and Todd Hollandsworth does.

And it's not talent. It's because Todd helped out with team chemistry while Barry Bonds only cared about getting on base and not making outs.

More like Selfish Bonds to me.

Thank you for proving my point, you bring up an excellent point that no one here can deny.