Jacobs Traded to Royals

Bret Hart

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/articl...sp&c_id=fla

Source: Marlins near trade with KC

Florida would receive Nunez in exchange for Jacobs

MIAMI -- With the World Series now completed, the hot stove season is set to get under way.

Already, there is some activity.

According to a league source, the Marlins are close to trading first baseman Mike Jacobs to the Royals for right-handed reliever Leo Nunez.

The source said on Wednesday night that players have been agreed upon, and the deal could be consummated in the next few days.

Jacobs, who turns 28 on Thursday, had career highs of 32 home runs and 93 RBIs for Florida this season. The left-handed-hitting first baseman, who batted .247 in 141 games, spent three years with the Marlins. He is eligible for arbitration for the first time this season, and his salary is expected to rise to roughly $3.5 million in 2009.

The Royals and Marlins have been in ongoing discussions for a while.

The Marlins are looking for bullpen help, and Nunez is a 25-year-old from the Dominican Republic who appeared in 45 games during the '08 season. Nunez posted a 4-1 record with a 2.98 ERA while logging 48 1/3 innings.

Nunez has a chance to compete for a late-inning setup role, and perhaps down the line he could be a closer candidate.

Holy cow...

Look how skinny this guy is!

Just from the looks of things, he reminds me of Juan Cruz.

Oh, and I was reading where Billy Beane was very close to trading Milton Bradley for this guy in '07, but the Royals backed out because they were concerned about Bradley's injury.

So, if Billy Beane sees something in him, that can't be bad :mischief

I think Jacobs could net more, but the fact that his absence doesn't represent any offensive losses IMO, this still sounds great.

I hope they hold out for a few other offers, though. Unless they're trying to make the picture a little more clear as to what they're going to do as early as possible...

Holy cow...

Oh, and I was reading where Billy Beane was very close to trading Milton Bradley for this guy in '07, but the Royals backed out because they were concerned about Bradley's injury.

Back to back years of 1.2ish WHIPs... if he can get his K numbers up we might have something here

Holy cow...

Back to back years of 1.2ish WHIPs... if he can get his K numbers up we might have something here

7.63 K/9 in '07 (43.2 IP). Not bad.

I think Jacobs could net more, but the fact that his absence doesn't represent any offensive losses IMO, this still sounds great.

Yeah, except the power goes down a bit.

But. . . his inability to get on base and his ridiculous K rates basically cancel that out.

Come to think of it, I'm actually going to miss Jake :confused

I'm not a big fan of his baseball skills, but he was still a great guy and went out and played very hard day-in and day-out--that is, when he was healthy.

I hate to see a player go to Kansas City. "Sentenced" would probably be the more appropriate term.

KC is like the baseball version of death row.

Thanks for the link, I'm so stoked about the upcoming off season; it's going to be exciting with all the moves I expect us to make. At first quick glance Leo Nunez seems to be an underwhelming package for Jacobs but hopefully we get more back and maybe I just don't know enough about Nunez yet...

I'd expect a 2nd prospect in the vein of a J. Delgado power arm at the single A level.

Nunez is alright though. He does have a good arm, and could take a step forward next year exclusively relieving and focused, as KC completely dicked around his development (2002-2003 starting, 2004 injured, 2005 reliever, 2006 advanced him to MLB to get shelled as a reliever, 2007 mostly starting across three levels, 2008 mlb reliever). I mean seriously, KC did everything they could to screw him up.

I'd still prefer to get Romo or Hinshaw off SF though if we are talking a RP swap.

Holy cow...

This guy looks like he's going to come apart. I do agree he needs to work on his K/9 and hopefully he can bring his A game next season if the trade is made.

Nunez is really really good. Very consistent, our top closer candidate now.

Really the only thing consistent about him is his WHIP. Other than that, as stated earlier, his ERA and K/9 have been erratic (albeit in 2 years). I wouldn't call him our top closer candidate right now. We'll see how he does in Spring Training, assuming this deal goes through. But as of now, he's nothing more than a middle reliever.

Nunez is really really good. Very consistent, our top closer candidate now.

Really the only thing consistent about him is his WHIP. Other than that, as stated earlier, his ERA and K/9 have been erratic (albeit in 2 years). I wouldn't call him our top closer candidate right now. We'll see how he does in Spring Training, assuming this deal goes through. But as of now, he's nothing more than a middle reliever.

Probably the most important thing