Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Jacobs Traded to Royals

Featured Replies

Royals acquired first baseman Mike Jacobs from the Marlins in exchange for RHP Leo Nunez.

Florida was willing to deal Jacobs because he's in for a big raise via arbitration and he'd have been a decent enough pickup for a contending team, but the Royals seemingly would have been better off simply handing first base to Kila Ka'aihue and Ryan Shealy. Jacobs smacked 32 homers this season, but it came with an ugly .299 on-base percentage and he's a 28-year-old with a career .262/.318/.498 hitting line that's mediocre for the position.

 

Marlins acquired RHP Leo Nunez from the Royals in exchange for first baseman Mike Jacobs.

A nice pickup for the Marlins, as Nunez is 24 years old, cheap and has posted a 3.42 ERA with a 63/25 K/BB ratio in 92 innings over the past two seasons. He'll likely slide into a setup role initially, but could be in the mix for saves at some point in 2009.

 

Quick analysis from Rotoworld

Why do I keep hearing reacquiring? As far as I know Nunez was signed by Pitts and traded to KC. I was hoping to get a little more for a 30 HR hitter, but it looks like the pen is going to be a whole lot better.

He adds more help at relief which is what we really needed to do this offseason. Good trade.

Why do I keep hearing reacquiring? As far as I know Nunez was signed by Pitts and traded to KC. I was hoping to get a little more for a 30 HR hitter, but it looks like the pen is going to be a whole lot better.

I don't know about that just yet. This is the pen (with salaries) right now. Italics is expected arbitration.

 

Matt Lindstrom $420,000

Joe Nelson $800,000

Leo Nunez $420,000

Reynel Pinto $420,000

Logan Kensing $550,000

Taylor Tankeresly $415,000

Ryan Tucker $400,000

 

Top two levels of notable arms.

 

AAA

SP Eulogio De La Cruz, Rick Vanden Hurk, Dallas Trahern, Burke Badenhop

RP Chris Mobley, Todd Doolittle, Jesus Delgado, Jacob Marceaux, Jon Gardner, and Henry Ownens

 

AA

SP Sean West, Aaron Thompson, Brett Sinkbeil, Graham Taylor, Kyle Winters

RP Tim Wood, Chris Leroux

 

I would be a lot more comfortable with 1 more MLB reliever to replace Kensing or Tank, and starting to turn some of the better arms (Cruz, Vanden Hurk, and Sinkbiel especially) into relievers. I suspect this will happen, but we're just not there yet.

I still would have liked Rosa better.

 

The KC fans are saying they got a better deal with Nunez than Rosa and that Nunez is injury prone. His upside is good and he's only 25 so we'll see.

I wonder why KC went after jake they just drafted Eric hosmer. I know he wont be up for a while but i guess there just looking to add power. Well i hope ths nunez guy is good. Reminds me of the guy on the dbacks.

Getting rid of Jake is addition by subtraction. Adding a young MLB-ready arm is icing on the cake. No problem with this deal whatsoever. I hope the Marlins got a guy they liked, and if so I'm happy. BTW, how much does Nunez make? When is he arb-eligible?

Why do I keep hearing reacquiring? As far as I know Nunez was signed by Pitts and traded to KC. I was hoping to get a little more for a 30 HR hitter, but it looks like the pen is going to be a whole lot better.

I don't know about that just yet. This is the pen (with salaries) right now. Italics is expected arbitration.

 

Matt Lindstrom $420,000

Joe Nelson $800,000

Leo Nunez $420,000

Reynel Pinto $420,000

Logan Kensing $550,000

Taylor Tankeresly $415,000

Ryan Tucker $400,000

 

Top two levels of notable arms.

 

AAA

SP Eulogio De La Cruz, Rick Vanden Hurk, Dallas Trahern, Burke Badenhop

RP Chris Mobley, Todd Doolittle, Jesus Delgado, Jacob Marceaux, Jon Gardner, and Henry Ownens

 

AA

SP Sean West, Aaron Thompson, Brett Sinkbeil, Graham Taylor, Kyle Winters

RP Tim Wood, Chris Leroux

 

I would be a lot more comfortable with 1 more MLB reliever to replace Kensing or Tank, and starting to turn some of the better arms (Cruz, Vanden Hurk, and Sinkbiel especially) into relievers. I suspect this will happen, but we're just not there yet.

 

What about Rhodes being that guy to replace Tank? Will he really be too expensive?

Philly and Tampa had the two best bullpens in the playoffs and that contributed to their runs to the W.S. Bullpen strength and depth is huge. Trading for bullpen help is always a pain in the ass at the deadline (please see: Brian Fuentes 2008). Getting a just-turned 25 year old who has already shown a great ability to set up is so exciting.

 

Tucker, Lindstrom and Nunez are three legit prospect arms at the back end of the bullpen. Complement that with Nelson, Pinto, and whoever else, and baby, you've got a stew going. Love this!

Well, this move appears to help us now. The big question for us now will be, will we have Jorge Cantu or Gaby Sanchez at first come April?

Well, this move appears to help us now. The big question for us now will be, will we have Jorge Cantu or Gaby Sanchez at first come April?

 

Probably Gaby will be at first with Cantu remaining at 3rd. I'm just wondering what's going to happen with Dallas.

Well, this move appears to help us now. The big question for us now will be, will we have Jorge Cantu or Gaby Sanchez at first come April?

 

Probably Gaby will be at first with Cantu remaining at 3rd. I'm just wondering what's going to happen with Dallas.

 

I completely disagree. After the season McPherson had, I think they're going to give him the first shot. He's the more experienced, and much more likely to replace Jacobs' production right away.

Well, this move appears to help us now. The big question for us now will be, will we have Jorge Cantu or Gaby Sanchez at first come April?

 

Probably Gaby will be at first with Cantu remaining at 3rd. I'm just wondering what's going to happen with Dallas.

 

I completely disagree. After the season McPherson had, I think they're going to give him the first shot. He's the more experienced, and much more likely to replace Jacobs' production right away.

 

So you think cantu takes first over gaby?

 

I sure hope so.

Cantu didn't have that good of a season. Should be an open competition

 

hitting almost .280, 29 HR, and 95 RBI is a pretty good season. he's definitely guaranteed 1st or 3rd. preferably 1st because of defensive purposes. not to mention you have freakin jacobs hitting behind you which isn't very good protection in the lineup

Cantu didn't have that good of a season. Should be an open competition

 

.278 AVG, 29 HR, 95 RBI for a guy who had done nothing for 3 years and was signed to a cheap contract - I think thats a pretty good season.

 

Good enough, in my opinion to guarantee a spot at either 1B or 3B depending on whether Dallas or Gaby gets the nod.

Now this opens the door for either Jorge Cantu or Gaby Sanchez to take the first base job and improve the defense at the position.

 

 

I agreed with everything you said until the improved defense comment. Jorge Cantu doesn't improve defense at ANY position but I guess it opens up 3rd base for McPherson.

 

 

How many errors did Jacobs have last year?

 

 

too many

vs RHP

1B - Cantu/Sanchez

3B - McPherson

 

vs LHP

1B - G. Sanchez

3B - Cantu

 

It's that easy. Plenty of PA for all three of them.

Good move. Nunez pitches very well against righties. And he's only 25 years old.

 

But i am sad to see Jacobs go. bye.

hes done both but hes mainly been a releiver.....his last two years have been pretty solid and he is very much like juan cruz. i really wouldve liked to nab ramon ramirez also but whatever. We knew this would happen and im gonna miss jake.

 

Juan Cruz is more of a strikeout kind guy, while Nunez is more of a ground ball guy.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.