Logan Morrison to left?

The_Godfather

Article from Sun-Sentinel today hints at the Marlins moving Morrison to LF. Anyone buying this? I don't like it, let it play out and I don't think Gaby is the long term answer at first, personally. I am hoping this is more opinion than journalism by Juan Rodriguez.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basebal...0,3557817.story

Morrison in left?

First base prospect Logan Morrison, last season's Florida State League MVP, continues lighting up the Arizona Fall League. Morrison hit for the cycle Thursday and entered the week batting .453 with four doubles, two triples, three homers and 16 RBI in 13 games.

It would appear Gaby Sanchez is blocking him at first, but the Marlins are giving serious thought to trying Morrison, 21, in left field. The Marlins already have a pair of near major league ready outfielders in John Raynor and Scott Cousins, who along with Morrison will be invited to big-league camp this spring.

Factor in how quickly Mike Stanton is climbing the organizational ranks and the Marlins could determine arbitration-eligible outfielders Josh Willingham and/or Jeremy Hermida are expendable.

Here's a different article from a scout on Logan Morrison in the AFL:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?...name=grey_jason

There are a couple of hyped, 21-year-old power hitters at the Arizona Fall League, but only one of them is worth the attention at the moment.

The Marlins' Logan Morrison, a big first baseman, was a 22nd-round pick in 2005 as a draft-and-follow. In 2007, he hit 26 homers at low Class A in his first full season as a pro. He followed that up with a .332 BA/.402 OBP/.494 SLG stat line in the high Class A Florida State League this past season.

Morrison has been showing big raw power, both in batting practice and in games here, including to the opposite field with an inside-out stroke. Not only does he have the power potential, but also the ability to make consistent contact to go with it. He does have a small hitch in his trigger and a tiny wrap in his swing, but the 6-foot-2, 215-pounder doesn't overswing and is handling balls on the inner half much better this year.

Athletic for his size, Morrison has a good arm and his defense at first base should not be an issue, despite limited range.

After showing he could handle left-handed pitching much better this season -- which was an issue in the past -- Morrison is likely on the fast track to a future as Florida's starting first baseman, with the potential to hit 30 homers in the big leagues and post a solid batting average.

Wouldn't you rather have the options?

I know I've read Jim Fleming say in the past that Morrison could also play LF.

I guess it's not such a bad thing, and the scouts do say he has a strong arm which will obviously play better in LF than 1B; I just always considered him our 1B of the future, not Gaby or anyone else in the minors...

This would be AMAZING if true. Developing an average 1B bat like Gaby is still very valuable, and when it comes down to it, who do we like better? G. Sanchez, or Raynor/Cousins/Petersen/Carroll/De Aza. That is an easy choice. If Hermida pans out this year, we could be looking at a Baker/Max Ramirez (I'm hoping hard on that one), Gaby, Coghlan, Hanley, X-3B, Morrison, Maybin, Hermida core, with Dominguez, Stanton, and Skipworth directly below them. And an insane pitching staff and bullpen full of arms, with Gregg, Cantu, Ross, Willingham and Uggla still left to trade off the team. Talk about insane. If Morrison can play LF, the baseball gods are shining upon us.

I guess I'm just not as hyped about Gaby as some you. Not that I think he will be bad, I'm just...iffy? I could see it going either way and if he doesn't pan out we really don't have another option besides Logan. I guess of course Logan or Willingham could slide to the spot though if needed.

It also probably opens up the possibility of us looking to acquire a young first base prospect with one of our chips...

I watched Logan play in-person many times this year. He's a helluva ballplayer, and I can't wait for him to get up to the bigs. He's really got some superb talent. He's also a great guy...very friendly. One thing that I noticed about Logan: from all the games that I saw....he never had a bad at-bat. Never popped up on the first pitch, never broke a bat, and never was late on a fastball. I saw Gaby play last year....and he never stood out from the rest. Logan does.

I'd really like to see him stay at 1B...maybe teach Gaby to play a little LF. Although Logan is probably a good bit more mobile.

This would be AMAZING if true. Developing an average 1B bat like Gaby is still very valuable, and when it comes down to it, who do we like better? G. Sanchez, or Raynor/Cousins/Petersen/Carroll/De Aza. That is an easy choice. If Hermida pans out this year, we could be looking at a Baker/Max Ramirez (I'm hoping hard on that one), Gaby, Coghlan, Hanley, X-3B, Morrison, Maybin, Hermida core, with Dominguez, Stanton, and Skipworth directly below them. And an insane pitching staff and bullpen full of arms, with Gregg, Cantu, Ross, Willingham and Uggla still left to trade off the team. Talk about insane. If Morrison can play LF, the baseball gods are shining upon us.

I want every player to flourish but doesn't Coghlan have to learn to actually catch a baseball before he is spoken about as major league talent?

He was no better at the end of the season than he was at the beginning when it comes to defense right up to and including the last game of the post-season series where he committed two more errors. To me he's another outfield transition candidate like the guy about whom this thread exists. He has the speed, he's a smart ballplayer, I'm not going to diminish hit bat in any way.

I listened to a lot of Mudcats games this summer and he just seems to have so much trouble around the bag. And clearly the Marlins are trying to position themselves to contend and make a run at the playoffs, I don't see where he helps you get there, at least in 2009.

I still think his bat, his speed and overall skillset gets him traded to the AL before he ever dons a Marlins uniform. He's high value, just not with this team and certainly not next season.

But then again I've been wrong before.

As for Morrison, would love to see it. He's young enough to actually get to learn the position rather a Willingham thrown to the wolves out there or even Miggy. It really is amazing what the front office has done in stocking the minors position players after the bad rap all they could do was draft pitchers.

I guess moving Morrison to LF is a solution to promoting both Sanchez and Morrison. I had indicated Morrison could leapfrog Sanchez in ST, this is a scenario that would resolve that issue

Morrison is not leap-frogging Sanchez. That's absolutely ridiculous.

in value of a prospect heis already a better prospect then gaby ever was honestly. That said i think we dont need to rush logan better to let him take his time, if Gaby fails we have him ready :)

I want every player to flourish but doesn't Coghlan have to learn to actually catch a baseball before he is spoken about as major league talent?

He was no better at the end of the season than he was at the beginning when it comes to defense right up to and including the last game of the post-season series where he committed two more errors. To me he's another outfield transition candidate like the guy about whom this thread exists. He has the speed, he's a smart ballplayer, I'm not going to diminish hit bat in any way.

I listened to a lot of Mudcats games this summer and he just seems to have so much trouble around the bag. And clearly the Marlins are trying to position themselves to contend and make a run at the playoffs, I don't see where he helps you get there, at least in 2009.

I still think his bat, his speed and overall skillset gets him traded to the AL before he ever dons a Marlins uniform. He's high value, just not with this team and certainly not next season.

But then again I've been wrong before.

As for Morrison, would love to see it. He's young enough to actually get to learn the position rather a Willingham thrown to the wolves out there or even Miggy. It really is amazing what the front office has done in stocking the minors position players after the bad rap all they could do was draft pitchers.

I didn't say anything about 2009, and in your months absence, you missed my ringing endorsement to keep Uggla for 2009 so I'll give you a pass on that one. Just setting the record straight to begin with. I want Coghlan in NOLA (I love the changing of affiliates) next year, and for him to battle Andino for 2B in 2010. We can argue about Dan later if you want to go down that road, but basically on 2nd year arbitration, Uggla past 30, and viable other options, I would cash him in for pitching and go with Coghlan.

Coghlan was moved to 2B two years ago. He's going to be fine. Thinking about moving him to the outfield is a really bad idea. It's the same reason he was moved off of 3B. No power potential for a long term starter. He's a 2B, or a utility guy. Really nothing else to this equation. A shift to the AL, where you think he's not a 2B, doesn't make him high value at all. The only reason he is valuable right now is he projects to be solid defensively at 2B.

I also find it highly doubtful the Marlins trade a middle infield prospect, when we currently have only two (Coghlan, Andino) that project to be MLB player above the A+ level. This organization has loaded up on a lot of awesome hitting prospects all over, but they have severely neglected the middle infield. I suspect they will target 2B-SS in the 2009 draft in rounds 3-5, but it's just very unlikely looking at the organization as a whole, they will choose to jettison any talent in the middle infield when it is severely lacking. This is also why I think Andino makes the roster (he is out of options), even though this will cause problems since we have 13 other players (Baker, "Backup Catcher," Cantu, Uggla, Hanley, McPherson, Ross, Maybin, Hermida, Willingham, G. Sanchez, Amezaga, Helms) who deserve MLB spots. Someone is gonna get the boot here (or Sanchez or Maybin starting in AAA), but that's another issue.

But back to the point, have some faith. He was a good defensive player in college (just like Gaby). It's going to click. This isn't like Morrison who you can project as a plus player all over the field.