Will Uggla Remain With The Fish?

dr marlin

I will copy and paste what i just wrote in the wrong topic:

I dont believe for a second the talk that Uggla is staying. With the trade out of nowhere to Nats, of all teams, I am really thinking that there are really only 3-5 people Max knowing about the personel decisions in the franchise this offseason. I think the obvious players in the FO knowing this are obviously Loria, Beinfest, and the GM. The scouts probably know but with the ammount of player info requests they get they can only guess which ones are truly being discussed. With that said, the reports that came out last night that Uggla was staying are suspect, at best.

I think with everything that has happened in the last 24 hrs, we are all just as in the dark as the next person. Regardless of your knowledge of the Marlins, nothing should suprise any of us from here on out.

This lack of true rumors regarding the Marlins so far has cemented my belief that the franchise is extremely jaded by the media after the Manny to FLA rumors at the deadline. An 80-20 rule may be in effect: 80% pure BS as far as rumors are concerned and 20% True stuff. Either way its alot of "Smoke and Mirrors" so far IMO. This is why I am reserving my comment on the Fla-DC trade. Something else is in the pike people, mark my words. Either way its a smart way to operate by the franchise.

HMMM FO leaks out that Uggla is staying put. This news cause teams that were banking on him being available to put together packages that we cant refuse. By saying he isnt available we are going to get ourselves the package we want. Good business decision is all that it is. I think Uggla will be moved very soon and that opens the door for a FA pickup somewhere.

If Emilio Bonifacio or Robert Andino are potential replacements, I really hope he stays.

Still, there were rumors early in the offseason of a potential Dan Uggla / Matt Cain trade scenario...I really don't care who's playing 2B in that scenario.

A pitching staff of Nolasco, JJ, Cain, Volstad, and Miller is as good (with the potential to get better), as it gets.

I was in the camp that said I wouldn't mind seeing what kind of package a team like the Giants could put forth during the offseason (I'd love a Bumgarner or Alderson type package) because we had Coghlan to plug in at 2nd and Uggla's value may never be higher...but now I would hate to see him moved only because I'm too scared we would start Emilio over Coghlan.

Uggla is one of the top 2 or 3 2B in MLB, so I naturally hope the team keeps him and think that they would be stupid to trade Uggla. Uggla isn't a defensive liability so even with this "new focus" on speed and defense, it doesn't make sense to sacrifice the offense from the 2nd best hitter on the team, especially when the replacement options are a minor leaguer (Coghlan) with no MLB experience who is significantly inferior defensively and two guys who's career minor league OPSes don't even touch 710. I can imagine it if we are out of the race halfway through the season, but even then I think it's a bad move. Given the fact that this is supposed to be a year in which we contend, trading Uggla would make no sense.

I think he'll stay.

Possibility he gets dealt during the season if we're out of the playoff race.

I'm putting it 99% Uggla or Cantu goes this offseason. 75% to Cantu, 24% to Uggla. We'll have to be blown away for Uggla, and I don't think that will happen. But Brian Sabean is crazy so who knows. If we get a young outfielder (looking at you Cleveland) back with similar offensive potential, it makes sense to move Cantu at this point.

100% they are both gone if we aren't contending July 20, 2009. 100% both gone by spring training 2010.

And really, *not a big deal.* (Assuming you get more than Bonifacio back).