I'd love to have Cantu back next year, but you gotta think about the prospect we can get for him if he continues his great year.

This is the mindset Jeffrey Loria has put into the fans brains.It is acceptable in certain situations, but i urge you all not to go overboard with it.

That's because his formula for success has been working. We can get a really, really good prospect for Cantu.

And the prospect might not pan out.Also the Marlins haven't made the playoffs since 2003.

Doesn't matter. When a team offers you a top of the line prospect for Cantu, you take it.

ok, now this is the mindset of a person who has been brainwashed by the marlins bullsh*t over the years.

ok, now this is the mindset of a person who has been brainwashed by the marlins bullsh*t over the years.

It's a good mindset...especially when you consider the corner infield depth in the organization.

yes, because we have seen that the lack of experience in the infield over the years has led to this team consistently making the playoffs :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It's a good mindset...especially when you consider the corner infield depth in the organization.

yes, because we have seen that the lack of experience in the infield over the years has led to this team consistently making the playoffs :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hanley? Uggla?

Yeah, lack of experience has been terrible for us in the infield. :rolleyes:

PS - Every great team has to have some sort of trust in their prospects. Can't keep everyone.

in regards to trading cantu, thought it'd be interesting to look at Sanchez's numbers

He's putting up a 2.60 ERA in SF so far.

17 Ks in 17 innings

but also has 12 walks lol

4.82 fip

and Cantu has been about the only player worth a damage on offense.

Fine. Then we'll pick up an experienced .800 OPS corner infielder on the cheap. Those are easy to find. See Helms, Boone, Cantu.

Fine. Then we'll pick up an experienced .800 OPS corner infielder on the cheap. Those are easy to find. See Helms, Boone, Cantu.

:lol

To each his own. I'm fine with trading Cantu for a top of the line prospect, and you guys aren't. We'll agree to disagree.

I'll be agreeing with it in the 2010 offseason when his contract is up and he's wanting the big bucks, but for now he's fine starting at 1b for us.

What If Morrisson and Sanchez are ready to play next year, and a team offers a top prospec for Cantu. You wouldn't do it?

At some point you have to keep SOME proven production players if you want to win. Why anyone would even consider signing Hermida over Cantu at this point is beyond me. Cantu is on course to have a monster year....much bigger year than mancrushes Hermida or Uggla...

To each his own. I'm fine with trading Cantu for a top of the line prospect, and you guys aren't. We'll agree to disagree.

I'll be agreeing with it in the 2010 offseason when his contract is up and he's wanting the big bucks, but for now he's fine starting at 1b for us.

Not to nitpick, but he'll be a free agent and the Marlins would receive, more than likely, Type A compensation. Which is another team's first round pick and a compensatory first rounder.

At some point you have to keep SOME proven production players if you want to win. Why anyone would even consider signing Hermida over Cantu at this point is beyond me. Cantu is on course to have a monster year....much bigger year than mancrushes Hermida or Uggla...

Because we need to keep an outfielder. Take your pick of Hermida or Ross. Best one stays for 2010. We can't hand over the outfield corners to a collection of Raynor, Cousins, Petersen, Carroll, and maybe Morrison shifts to LF. That would be season suicide from day 1.

Likewise, as a result they can afford one of the infielders - Cantu or Uggla. Whose it going to be? Uggla costs a bit more, and probably brings more compensation back in trade as he's a middle infielder.

C- Baker

1B - G. Sanchez/Cantu

2B - Coghlan/Bonifacio

SS - Hanley

3B - Cantu/Bonifacio

LF - Hermida

CF - Maybin

RF - Cousins/Raynor

Rest of Bench - Hayes(or another backup catcher), Helms, and some sort of veteran SS/3B type.

That makes the most sense to me, and that's a $40 million team if we keep the pitching staff as a whole intact.

That's not the point I'm trying to make. I know he is having a monster year, and I would love to keep him. But if a team is offering a TOP OF THE LINE Prospect, and with Sanchez and Morrison ready to play next year, I would trade him. It has nothing to do with how Loria "brain washed" me, that's just my opinion.

That's not the point I'm trying to make. I know he is having a monster year, and I would love to keep him. But if a team is offering a TOP OF THE LINE Prospect, and with Sanchez and Morrison ready to play next year, I would trade him. It has nothing to do with how Loria "brain washed" me, that's just my opinion.

Not necessarily. If this prospect is going to take 3 to 4 years to be MLB ready, I don't think its worth trading a guy away whose bat is very, very valuable. You trade a guy like Cantu if you have a surplus of bats. At the moment, we do not. Most of the minor league studs are a few seasons away from ready.

Not necessarily. If this prospect is going to take 3 to 4 years to be MLB ready, I don't think its worth trading a guy away whose bat is very, very valuable. You trade a guy like Cantu if you have a surplus of bats. At the moment, we do not. Most of the minor league studs are a few seasons away from ready.

It doesn't have to be for a prosepct that's a few years away from being ready. It can be for a prospect that' ready to start next year.