2009-10 Florida Panthers thread

Erick

The end of the offseason is almost here, and the Panthers roster is pretty much set (worth noting that, realistically, this team is worse on paper than it was last year...the team that missed the playoffs on a tiebreaker )

Anyways...this what the roster looks like. (projecting lines)

Forwards

David Booth-Stephen Weiss-Nathan Horton

Cory Stillman-Steven Reinprecht-Michael Frolik

Rostislav Olesz-Gregory Campbell-Radek Dvorak

Nick Tarnasky-Kamil Kreps-???

Defensemen

Bryan Allen-Bryan McCabe

Keith Ballard-Jordan Leopold

Ville Koistinen-???

Goaltenders

Starter: Tomas Vokoun

Backup: Scott Clemmenson

The "???" will be decided in training camp/preseason games. Some candidates for the "???" forward spot include the likes of Michael Repik, Jeff Taffe, and Mike Duco. I guess you can throw in Shawn Matthias, as a long shot. The "???" defensemen spot candidates include Keaton Ellerby, Jason Garrison, and this year's 1st round draft pick (Dmitry Kulikov).

The team was rumored to get Alex Tanguay earlier this offseason...Eklund (A.K.A. douchebag) said it was official on hockeybuzz, but that was not true (along with a good 90+ % of his bogus rumors)...those talks have apparently cooled down.

In other news, the Panthers are now said to be competing with the Rangers to get former Carolina Hurricane defenseman, Dennis Seidenberg. If Seidenberg is acquired, he'd definitely fill out the top 6...probably be the #5, as he's, at the very least, more proven than Koistinen.

The "???" will be decided in training camp/preseason games. Some candidates for the "???" forward spot include the likes of Michael Repik, Jeff Taffe, and Mike Duco. I guess you can throw in Shawn Matthias, as a long shot. The "???" defensemen spot candidates include Keaton Ellerby, Jason Garrison, and this year's 1st round draft pick (Dmitry Kulikov).

:headscratch

Matthias had a horrible year last year, and he's a center so I highly doubt they'll want to move him to wing, especially considering that he'd be on the 4th line. He's better off in Rochester getting quality minutes, and developing there. At this point, I don't want to see Repik either for the same reasons, but I'd say he's a better candidate for the spot.

I think Taffe will get it, but we'll see.

Matthias had a horrible year last year, and he's a center so I highly doubt they'll want to move him to wing, especially considering that he'd be on the 4th line. He's better off in Rochester getting quality minutes, and developing there. At this point, I don't want to see Repik either for the same reasons, but I'd say he's a better candidate for the spot.

Yes, but that doesn't make Matthias a longshot. Duco is the longshot. Matthias is the one with NHL promise, if anything he makes the NHL just from a good camp. Duco needed a good season to even be considered, Matthias didnt.

Yes, but that doesn't make Matthias a longshot. Duco is the longshot. Matthias is the one with NHL promise, if anything he makes the NHL just from a good camp. Duco needed a good season to even be considered, Matthias didnt.

Probably right, with that considered.

Regardless, I, personally, wouldn't mind seeing Duco. He'd add some toughness, at the very least.

the only thing to look forward to about hockey season is goal calls on the radio

haha ya looking forward to that.

but seriously, right now this team (on paper) doesnt look like a playoff team.

going to need a lot of guys to have good seasons like olesz and ive really expected more out of Nathan Horton, i thought he would be a bigger scorer, maybe he'll add more this season.

really hope we can get tanguay.

the only thing to look forward to about hockey season is goal calls on the radio

haha ya looking forward to that.

but seriously, right now this team (on paper) doesnt look like a playoff team.

going to need a lot of guys to have good seasons like olesz and ive really expected more out of Nathan Horton, i thought he would be a bigger scorer, maybe he'll add more this season.

really hope we can get tanguay.

I hate Horton, but I expect a lot more from him this year. 40+ goals. This better be his year.

He's not going to have "the season" because the Panthers don't have a #1 center to feed him the puck.

Face it. Weiss is a #1 center now. He's making the transition in his career now into it, at least. And the only way he can do that is by having a first line spot open.

Notice why I was pissed when we didn't get a second line center other than Reinprecht (making him a winger instead). We just need a 1a 1b top center. Weiss will eventually get to 80 or so points, if all goes well. We just needed someone else to put up 60 points behind Weiss on the 2nd line.

Horton's problems are his own problems, not that of Stephen Weiss or his center. Remember... Horton-Hits-A-Post!

He's not going to have "the season" because the Panthers don't have a #1 center to feed him the puck.

Face it. Weiss is a #1 center now. He's making the transition in his career now into it, at least. And the only way he can do that is by having a first line spot open.

Notice why I was pissed when we didn't get a second line center other than Reinprecht (making him a winger instead). We just need a 1a 1b top center. Weiss will eventually get to 80 or so points, if all goes well. We just needed someone else to put up 60 points behind Weiss on the 2nd line.

Horton's problems are his own problems, not that of Stephen Weiss or his center. Remember... Horton-Hits-A-Post!

I'd love to see Weiss be an 80 point guy, but fact is, his career high was last year...61. 61 doesn't cut it, just like Horton hitting a post constantly doesn't cut it.

Over at George Richards' blog on the Miami Herald, he was noting at how hard the guys were working out this offseason.

-Vokoun was interviewed and talking about how he usually gets off to slow starts. He has been saying that he has been working really hard at getting in top shape to avoid that this season. (In my opinion, a good start is what this team really needs if we want to even think about playoffs)

-Weiss has been in the gym practically all summer. His surgically repaired wrist is feeling much better and at first he couldn't do any lifting, so he spent most of the summer doing leg-work.

-Horton, on the other hand, spent all his time in the gym getting smaller. He lost 10-15 pounds and worked on his speed and now looks much faster than before. That could be really useful on a line with Booth.

More here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapanthers/2009/08/gearing-up-panthers-begin-informal-workouts.html

I'd love to see Weiss be an 80 point guy, but fact is, his career high was last year...61. 61 doesn't cut it, just like Horton hitting a post constantly doesn't cut it.

61... at 26. He's still got room for improvement. He wont necessarily improve, but he can.

61... at 26. He's still got room for improvement. He wont necessarily improve, but he can.

It could be the wrists, maybe. I mean, the assist total at 47 is fine. Maybe now that his wrists are feeling better, he'll add some more goals. At least maybe he won't be as reluctant to shoot the damn puck. He needs to listen to DeBoer and be a little more selfish. I like Weiss...solid playmaker, good 2 way game...but he misses so many chances to score goals b/c he rarely ever shoots the puck.

Panthers will be lucky to finish ahead of the Lightning this year.

I would ask why you think this, but then again...................you're not really a hockey fan. Thus, you probably couldn't give a good explanation. Maybe you can. I'll wait for it.