Old Marlins Hats

Hey Guys,

I have another Uniform question.

I have noticed a surplus in old marlins diamond collection hats on ebay, the solid teal, and the teal with black bill. I have read many comments that they are fake and not worth the money. Before that i purchased a solid teal for 9.00 bucks. The hat is supposed to be a 7 1/8 but the fit is unwearable. Is there anywhere to get any of the AUTHENTIC Marlins hats. New Era has released the hats but it has the stupid New Era flag on the outside of the hat.

Also how rare is the Marlins Batting practice hat with the M and the fish. I would like to have one, but have never seen one for sale.

On that note, I would also love to have a Turn Ahead the Clock Marlins hat with the silver bill. Has anyone seen one of those?

I'm not so sure about them being fake (with the one I purchased on e-bay, the coloring and quality of the wool is consistent with my original 1995 teal/black cap, as is all stitching, embroidery and inside tagging right down to the original new era logo and diamond collection tag), but I concur that the sizing is off. Perhaps they were "rejects" destined for a discount store because the sizing was not right, or maybe the wool has just constricted a lot over 10 years, but the 7 3/8 I purchased didn't even go on my head (I normally wear a 7 1/2, and an 1/8 of an inch shouldn't have made that much of a difference).

As far as alternatives, I know Lids.com has both in the New Era Coop Line, but they have the fore-mentioned NE flag on the side. I think your best bet is to either take the chance on one on ebay that it fits or go for one you know will fit (but has the drawback of beinga fashion cap, and not mlb authentic). There was a wholesaler down there many on the board found some of the classic fitteds on markdown, don't remember name of the store or if they still have them.

I was trying to type my dissertion on the ergonomics of the New Era MLB 59/50 Fitted Caps through my phone, but it read like an article out of the new times.

Basically, the Original ones you see on ebay can be considered the 1st generation MLB Fitted hats, and very low in terms of quality and quality control.

To find one in your size in the first try is very hard to do, yet possible.

The best advice I can give when buying one of the originals off ebay is to get a size larger then what your used to (So a 7 1/4 if you are a size 7 1/8). This may seem strange, but it will add to the enjoyment of your fitted cap.

Since the Original is made of 100% wool, the more you sweat in it, the more you can shape it to the correct size of your head. It's like this with any fitte hat. If you buy one size larger, dip it in water and come back the next day after it's dried out, it will be a size smaller every time.

With the 2nd Generation, which was the most current wool ones which ceased production in 2005, the held up better to the elements, but shrunk none the less. Very good for the money if you can find one.

The last generation, orr the 100% polyester ones the players wear today are great. Although it suffers from the same lack of quality control as its predesessors.

Each fitted hat is sized by a human, so therefore they can fit like bigger then the size indicated, or fit smaller. My suggestion is to go to a hat store and try on every hat in your size of the same hat---you will see that some 7 1/4s fit better then others.

This was a MASSIVE ISSUE with the originals--- Being that in laymens terms, a Large would fit like a small sometimes, or vice versa. Hence why I suggest buying one size up and sweating in it to shrink the hat to combat this.

The New MLB Cooperstowns collection hats are beautiful hats, and it's really ashame to judge them based on that little flag. To the untrained eye, they are the same hat with only the flag added---but there is more.

besides the better materials and close to the size its states, it also has the updated marlins F logo centered properly, where as the old one was centered to the Fish itself.

If the black New era flag is a irritation to you, and you feel like a brave soul---go buy a seam ripper and try to remove it.

The Current 59/50 is on the right, the old original one on ebay is on the left. Notice how the logo appears to pop up a bit as well on the new one.

THe store your looking for in opalocka is Dynasty Apperal, but if you go to look, they probably have only the extreme sizes now, such as 7 3/8 or 6 7/8. Give them a call after finding their number online. They were $10. Nice people too.

Any questions feel free to ask.

The only way you'll find the "Turn ahead the clock" or "M" cap is to search ebay at the right time, or offer someone $20 at a marlins game for them off their head.

Nike did produce a "M" hat recently in a fitted size, look for it around online. The M was black on the hat though. I used to own one but lost it.

Well, looking at it now, the 7 1/8 i currently have allows me anough room to stick a finger between my noggin and the hat. I might try sticking it in hot water and molding it to my head, what do you think?

Take a shower with it on, and keep it on throughout the day and let it dry on your head. Thats the best way to do it---- just remember to bend the brim a bit and don't take it off your head for a while, because it can shrink quickly.

Best bet, even do some sweaty yardwork in it. Less water, but it makes it effortless and i doubt you will sweat in it alot to make it nessesary to wear it all day.

Yardwork, workout, that type of stuff.

EDIT:

Last option is a bit trickier---and a little dangerous.

Wear it in the shower, get it all nice and soaked....keep it on your head.

Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees, and place the hat on a cooking sheet for about 1 min (this will melt the plastic insides a bit in the crown).

Be careful, and place it on your head, SMASHING IT DOWN---You want to feel it on your head, but be VERY CAREFUL of the Metal button in the middle.

Wear as normal. The 400 degree heat will evaporate alot of the excess water.

Well, looking at it now, the 7 1/8 i currently have allows me anough room to stick a finger between my noggin and the hat. I might try sticking it in hot water and molding it to my head, what do you think?

Take a shower with it on, and keep it on throughout the day and let it dry on your head. Thats the best way to do it---- just remember to bend the brim a bit and don't take it off your head for a while, because it can shrink quickly.

Best bet, even do some sweaty yardwork in it. Less water, but it makes it effortless and i doubt you will sweat in it alot to make it nessesary to wear it all day.

EDIT:

Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees, and place the hat on a cooking sheet for about 1 min (this will melt the plastic insides a bit in the crown). Be careful, and place it on your head, SMASHING IT DOWN---You want to feel it on your head, but be VERY CAREFUL of the Metal button in the middle.

Really??? Really, really?

...anyways...I have one cap that doesnt fit me wide, it fits me too tall, as in, when I lower my best caps down to my head, they land just above my ears...but this one cap is seemingly taller on the sides and if I lower it down, it pushes down my ears, and thus I look like an idiot... Would shrinking it help this problem? Or is shrinking it just gonna shrink the width of the cap? thanks

EDIT:

Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees, and place the hat on a cooking sheet for about 1 min (this will melt the plastic insides a bit in the crown).

Be careful, and place it on your head, SMASHING IT DOWN---You want to feel it on your head, but be VERY CAREFUL of the Metal button in the middle.

Damn. Is there a class on this stuff or is it something that is passed down from generaton to generation in your family? I never knew there was so much to picking out and wearing a hat.

be VERY CAREFUL of the Metal button in the middle.

To avoid lawsuits from idiots who burn the top of their head with the 400 degree button, you might want to recommend that they place a wet paper towel folded up into about a 2 inch square or perhaps a thin, wet sponge on top of their head before "SMASHING IT DOWN" onto their thick skull.

Alternatively, they could make a mold of their head from the ears up and smash it onto the resultant head replica after they cast it. Then they won't need to be concerned with placing a piece of metal heated to 400 degrees on their skin, insulated minimally by whatever hair they may have, which insulation is largely defeated by "smashing it down."

Fortunately, the scalp is about 1/16th of an inch thick and the top of the skull is about 1/8 of an inch thick, so it's unlikely that anyone doing the smashing will wind up any more brain damaged than they were before the smashing commenced.

Perhaps they could give away hats and promote 400 degree hat-fitting as a way to "take one for the team."

Ha, I assume Opa Locka is in Florida. Im from NC and im not sure if we have any New Era Stores. Its frustrating that New Era would ruin, in my eyes atleast, a perfectly good "authentic" hat by putting their logo where it never was.

I could even take their logo if it was the same base color as that part of the hat, but in the black it just looks bad.

EDIT:

Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees, and place the hat on a cooking sheet for about 1 min (this will melt the plastic insides a bit in the crown). Be careful, and place it on your head, SMASHING IT DOWN---You want to feel it on your head, but be VERY CAREFUL of the Metal button in the middle.

Really??? Really, really?

...anyways...I have one cap that doesnt fit me wide, it fits me too tall, as in, when I lower my best caps down to my head, they land just above my ears...but this one cap is seemingly taller on the sides and if I lower it down, it pushes down my ears, and thus I look like an idiot... Would shrinking it help this problem? Or is shrinking it just gonna shrink the width of the cap? thanks

Seriously, lol.

I did that to all the hats I have to buy a bit too big and they feel like the crown is very 1980's like. I smash it down, and they fit perfectly.

The front of the cap has plastic rigid threads to help it keep its shape... heating it will make it "bendable" and will allow you to give it the shape you want.

My 1940's brooklyn dodgers hat fits like a glove now because of the water and heating.

The wool may shrink if it's pushing down your ears, but then again, it might not shrink enough. Usually it only shrinks it about 1 inch.

EDIT:

Damn. Is there a class on this stuff or is it something that is passed down from generaton to generation in your family? I never knew there was so much to picking out and wearing a hat.

Lets just say I'm very picky. Every hat you see at a hat store is made for a hip hop culture it feels like, with a flat brim and stickers still attached, even the MLB 59/50's now.

I'm a cracker at heart, so I gotta give all my hats that "Cantu" look.

EDIT:

Lets just say I'm very picky. Every hat you see at a hat store is made for a hip hop culture it feels like, with a flat brim and stickers still attached, even the MLB 59/50's now.

And THIS is what I hate. Nothing against the hip hop world but its not for me... as I baseball fan who loves wearing authentic caps... I shouldny have to battle the hip hop style to get my cap to fit me just right

EDIT:

LOL Okay. Actually it is pretty interesting how serious some of you take it. Not a bad thing, just interesting. Personally, I buy a hat, bend the brim, and it's good to go. To me a hat is someplace to carry my ticket. I'm an old hippie at heart.