JJ is Chasing History

Not necessarily. Dont forget, there was still a runner on third. JJ was just never given a chance at pitching out of that inning.

I didn't see that game. I was at work or school.

now... the offensive support JJ just randomly doesnt get on some nights might cost him a Cy Young award.

Yeah. Kevin Brown all over again. I fear that's gonna happen. Maybe Sabermetrics will save him and the voters won't put too much weight on wins anymore. Or he could lose it because the Marlins won't make the playoffs, like what happened with Dontrelle.

Another streak that Stanton broke was that if not for him, JJ's ERA would have gone down after every game so far. I bet that hasn't happened since the 1800's. I'm not mad at him anymore. I'm just pointing it out.

Adam Wainwright got a freebee going against Philly last night pitching 6 scoreless innings to lower his ERA to 1.94. I think he's a bigger threat than Jiminez.

Another streak that Stanton broke was that if not for him, JJ's ERA would have gone down after every game so far. I bet that hasn't happened since the 1800's. I'm not mad at him anymore. I'm just pointing it out..

Adam Wainwright got a freebee going against Philly last night pitching 6.1 scoreless innings to lower his ERA to 1.94. I think he's a bigger threat than Jiminez.

I agree with this.

Jiminez gave up 6 runs in 2 innings tonight (and somehow his ERA is still below 3). Its JJ and Wainright for the Cy Young right now.

That's where plenty of early shut outs benefit but he's falling off an if Wainwright and J.J. can keep a pace of allowing 4 earned runs for the rest of their starts then they are the top 2 contenders for the Cy Young.

Jiminez gave up 6 runs in 2 innings tonight (and somehow his ERA is still below 3). Its JJ and Wainright for the Cy Young right now.

That's where plenty of early shut outs benefit but he's falling off an if Wainwright and J.J. can keep a pace of allowing 4 earned runs for the rest of their starts then they are the top 2 contenders for the Cy Young.

I hope it doesn't end up like Dontrelle vs Carpenter where Carpenter won because the Cardinals went to the playoffs. Although Dontrelle probably had it sewn up until that last game against the Phillies.

I hope it doesn't end up like Dontrelle vs Carpenter where Carpenter won because the Cardinals went to the playoffs. Although Dontrelle probably had it sewn up until that last game against the Phillies.

That was the year Clemens had like a 1.80 era but only won 13 games and lost 8....JJ will definitely need wins.

Wainright gave up 6 ER's in 5 innings. His ERA is up to 2.23. Jaime Garcia is 2nd at 2.21. All the other guys at the top of the ERA standings have had at least one game giving up 5 earned runs. JJ's never given up more than 4 in a game. He leads all (non-sabermetric) stats except WHIP, BB's and wins. And he's second in BB's and WHIP. If JJ keeps this pace up, I think the voters would really look stupid not giving the Cy Young to him just because of wins. Back when Kevin Brown was jobbed, it was still mostly old school sportswriters voting. Its a whole different world now. I just can't imagine that happening again.

What's the record for most consecutive games giving up 4 and 3 runs or less? Those streaks are alive. If not for the last game of last season, the 4 runs or fewer streak would go all the way back to last April.

Something JJ has going for him that Kevin Brown didn't have is that JJ is leading in K"s. Kevin Brown only had 159 that year. I imagine the leaders had near 300. Smoltz had 276(the highest total of his career). BTW, I didn't know he retired.

BTW2: For this being the year of the pitcher, you would think there'd be a few guys on pace for 300 K's. But I don't think anybody's even gonna get 250. So maybe its actually the year of the defense.