Marlins eyeing sub-.500 teams for relievers

Fishy

Seeking relief help, the Marlins inquired about Arizona's Chad Qualls (who has 12 saves but has struggled), but Arizona would need to pay a chunk of his $4 million salary and Florida balked when Logan Morrison's name was raised. The Marlins have been eyeing sub-.500 teams for relievers. They also like White Sox left-hander Matt Thornton -- unlikely as long as Chicago is contending.

http://www.miamihera...http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/06/22/1694995_p2/several-roster-spots-up-for-grabs.html

I have a feeling the front office is going to get something done, possibly before the all star break. Offensively I think we are close to really breaking out and the starting pitching has been solid all year. We are going to add a arm or possibly 2 in my opinion. Logan Morrison is not going anywhere though.

I love how other general managers always ask for a premium amazing prospect. I mean, what are they even thinking. It's not like you're asking for Dan Haren and what player you'd like as the centerpiece. It's Chad Qualls. He has an 8.87 era and a 2.27 whip this year. Yea his track record is great, but even if he was pitching good you're not getting Morrison.

Why don't you ask for something like Sanabia. Or Tucker. Or Marinez. Something the Marlins would think about. Asking for Morrison is just spitting in the other guys face. Idiots.

I love how other general managers always ask for a premium amazing prospect. I mean, what are they even thinking. It's not like you're asking for Dan Haren and what player you'd like as the centerpiece. It's Chad Qualls. He has an 8.87 era and a 2.27 whip this year. Yea his track record is great, but even if he was pitching good you're not getting Morrison.

Why don't you ask for something like Sanabia. Or Tucker. Or Marinez. Something the Marlins would think about. Asking for Morrison is just spitting in the other guys face. Idiots.

Exactly. This is why I hate this time of the year.

Morrison for Qualls? I mean I understand you have to start somewhere but good God what was that man even thinking? But with that said I'd love to get Qualls, even though he's been terrible this year he's been damn good in the past and we've got a good track record of straightening out good relievers in an extended funk.

Asking for Morrison is just spitting in the other guys face.

Nah. They have to ask. They always ask. Both sides of the conversation guffaw for a minute and then they proceed to discuss scenarios that are actually possible to seriously consider. On the next call, two weeks later on some completely different deal, they still ask for the same guy they know they'll never get, at least perfunctorily. By the eight or tenth call maybe they don't bother asking as the joke has been worn out.

First rule of salesmanship and negotiation. Always ask, the worst they can say is no, and you never know, they might say yes for reason(s) completely unknown to he who asked before he asked.

Nah. They have to ask. They always ask. Both sides of the conversation guffaw for a minute and then they proceed to discuss scenarios that are actually possible to seriously consider. On the next call, two weeks later on some completely different deal, they still ask for the same guy they know they'll never get, at least perfunctorily. By the eight or tenth call maybe they don't bother asking as the joke has been worn out.

First rule of salesmanship and negotiation. Always ask, the worst they can say is no, and you never know, they might say yes for reason(s) completely unknown to he who asked before he asked.

I agree in principle. No harm in asking. They had to know the answer would be no. But they have the upper hand with so many teams in contention needing pen help and available relief pitchers being limited. Plus they have set the tone for when other teams ask. Before the end of July some teams are going to be making trades that will have the rest of MLB wondering what they were thinking.

The phone bills must be horrendous.

Before the end of July some teams are going to be making trades that will have the rest of MLB wondering what they were thinking.

Absolutely. Some owner/GM/manager doesn't like or get along with this guy or that guy. Some guy is an impediment to clubhouse harmony and bliss. Someone in the chain of command is convinced that someone is totally overrated and should be sold. Someone got a look at below-expectations gross revenue and decides that they need to dump some payroll. Etc., etc.

There's a lot of unfathomable reasons (to the buyer) for transactions before they are proposed and happen. Which is why everyone always asks about everyone, even the supposed "untouchables." And so it goes, every year.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.