August 27, 201016 yr You may have heard that the Marlins dug up the home plate and sent it to Roy Halladay to commemorate his perfect game. You may have also heard that the home plate has just been lying around in a box in his Philadelphia residence. Three months and many opportunities to have it framed or sent to his main home in Florida, he let it languish in a box. Finally the home plate receives a proper home. Roy Halladay regifted it to his catcher Carlos Ruiz. http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100826&content_id=13950574&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb First, Halladay was presented with an original work by artist Dick Perez -- copies of the work were handed out to all fans in attendance. Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter gave the veteran righty a Proclamation and a replica of the Liberty Bell for making a difference in Philadelphia. Manager Charlie Manuel handed Halladay the lineup card from the perfect game and general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. gave him his game-worn jersey in a customized frame. At this point, the Phillies included Halladay's family in the afternoon as team president David Montgomery presented Halladay's wife, Brandy, with a pendant with a design that matched the ring her husband would receive moments later. Halladay's children Braden, 10, and Ryan, 5, each received a sculpture of their father's hand holding game balls from the perfect game. Halladay then took a moment to acknowledge batterymate Carlos Ruiz as he gave the catcher home plate from Sun Life Stadium and a one-of-a-kind ring that was engraved "We Did it Together."
August 27, 201016 yr I actually think that's pretty cool. Halladay will have a gaggle of awards/items to show off when he moves beyond the game of baseball. Most catchers like Ruiz won't. Nicely done on Halladay's part.
August 27, 201016 yr Good on the Marlins and good on Halladay. Good press. Lol havent heard much of that recently.
August 27, 201016 yr I've always thought catchers should be in the record books with the pitchers who throw a no-hitter. Good on Roy.
August 27, 201016 yr This title certainly belies the merits of his gesture. Classy move - no surprise from Roy, though.
August 27, 201016 yr I've always thought catchers should be in the record books with the pitchers who throw a no-hitter. Good on Roy. I agree. Catchers should get credit for no-hitters and perfect games as they are apart of it. In fact, the entire team is apart of it in reality. One mistake or bad play and it could end the no-hitter or perfect game. So it was definitely nice of Halladay to do that.
August 27, 201016 yr I've always thought catchers should be in the record books with the pitchers who throw a no-hitter. Good on Roy. I agree. Catchers should get credit for no-hitters and perfect games as they are apart of it. In fact, the entire team is apart of it in reality. One mistake or bad play and it could end the no-hitter or perfect game. So it was definitely nice of Halladay to do that. Not to be the negative one, but it was a Cameron Maybin error that lead to the game ending in 9 innings... Nice move by Halladay, I really though the gesture was genuine.
August 27, 201016 yr I've always thought catchers should be in the record books with the pitchers who throw a no-hitter. Good on Roy. I agree. Catchers should get credit for no-hitters and perfect games as they are apart of it. In fact, the entire team is apart of it in reality. One mistake or bad play and it could end the no-hitter or perfect game. So it was definitely nice of Halladay to do that. Not to be the negative one, but it was a Cameron Maybin error that lead to the game ending in 9 innings... Nice move by Halladay, I really though the gesture was genuine. Oh right! Well I was speaking in general anyway, but maybe Halladay should send that plate to Maybin then heh
August 27, 201016 yr Nice move by him. Though I wonder if he used the label maker I gave him on those boxes to ID what was in it...
August 28, 201016 yr Nice move by him. Though I wonder if he used the label maker I gave him on those boxes to ID what was in it... Worst gift I ever got. You put a label on something, then ten minutes later it would peel right of!
August 28, 201016 yr The righthander purchased around 60 Swiss-made Baumé & Mercier watches to commemorate his perfect game May 29 against the Marlins. He gave out the watches as gifts to everyone in the clubhouse - all of the players who were on the active roster then, the entire coaching staff, all clubhouse personnel (including batboy Rob DiClementi), training and video staff as well as public relations officials. Each watch was engraved on the back with the date of the game and the line score. Every watch was personalized, the person's name engraved on the back of their watch. http://www.philly.co...lies_Extra.html
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.