Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Harold Reynolds: I'd Give Mike Stanton a 10yr deal TODAY

Featured Replies

On MLB Network, Reynolds picked Mike Stanton as the guy he'd give a 10 year contract today if he could. Great to see Stanton get that kind of recognition.

 

So what say you, MB? Would you give Mike Stanton a 10 year deal TODAY if you could. Not after next season, not the year after, TODAY.

If he were willing to sign it, yeah I would.

 

I know he whiffs a lot, so there's some risk there...but this guy's .ISO is so ridiculous; he's a 35-40 HR guy even in his worst years to me. Another + is that he's a + defender, capable of playing CF, if the organization wants him to do that (actually it's probably what they should be doing right now).

 

There's risk with every deal, but the reward in locking up Stanton is locking up potentially the most valuable player in baseball one day. I'm always hesitant with such long-term deals, but I'd lock Stanton up through his prime years (although it's not really necessary to do it "TODAY").

As I said in the other thread, I would only consider it a year from now as long as he consistently puts up stellar numbers in 2011. This would need to be something like a .900+ OPS and 35+ home runs.

 

Given his hot and cold streaks in 2010 there is still some doubt that he's the guy you give a ten year contract.

  • Author

How much would the contract be worth if we did decide to give him a 10 year contract?

 

 

Similar to the contract that Longoria signed with the Rays, just with more years. I'm not good with figuring contracts and price points. That's Lou's job lol

As I said in the other thread, I would only consider it a year from now as long as he consistently puts up stellar numbers in 2011. This would need to be something like a .900+ OPS and 35+ home runs.

 

Given his hot and cold streaks in 2010 there is still some doubt that he's the guy you give a ten year contract.

 

 

 

I'm guessing the point of this thread is to give him a Longoria-type deal, no? He puts up a year like that, and I don't see why he'd want to give us a discount.

  • Author

As I said in the other thread, I would only consider it a year from now as long as he consistently puts up stellar numbers in 2011. This would need to be something like a .900+ OPS and 35+ home runs.

 

Given his hot and cold streaks in 2010 there is still some doubt that he's the guy you give a ten year contract.

 

 

 

I'm guessing the point of this thread is to give him a Longoria-type deal, no? He puts up a year like that, and I don't see why he'd want to give us a discount.

 

Yeah that's exactly the point. Do we save a bunch in the long run and give him such a large contract in terms of length based on his pure potential alone, as well as his rookie season?

If it were 10 years, $60 Million, it might be the kind of high-risk, high-reward move that I wouldn't mind the Marlins making as payroll rises when me move into the new stadium. He should still be at least average even if he fans 200+ times a season due to plus defense, above-average speed, and probably a worst-case slash-line something like .220/.300/.440.

 

I wonder how Hanley would feel about it? That certainly shouldn't stop them, but I'm curious.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.