New Jersey Numbers

Erick

Omar Infante, #4 last year for the Braves, will wear #13.

Javier Vazquez, #31 last year for the Yankees, will wear one of his old numbers, #23.

Edward Mujica, #45 last year for the Padres, will wear #34.

Randy Choate, #36 last year for the Rays, will wear #35.

Mike Dunn, #38 last year for the Braves, will wear #40.

Out of our guys who were here last year, Gaby Sanchez has gone from #14 to #15 (Buck will wear #14), Scott Cousins goes from #28 to #33, and Brad Davis goes from #58 (which will now be worn by Ryan Webb) to the Dan Uggla #6.

Looks like that's it.

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/team/roster_active.jsp?c_id=fla

Why do numbers even matter in baseball?

Why do numbers matter in any sport?

In football and hockey, it's how you identify a player.

If you're somehow familiar with the players number but not their face in basketball, it could apply there too.

In baseball, positions are so defined and players faces are visible. Almost like there's no reason.

Why do numbers even matter in baseball?

Why do numbers matter in any sport?

In football and hockey, it's how you identify a player.

If you're somehow familiar with the players number but not their face in basketball, it could apply there too.

In baseball, positions are so defined and players faces are visible. Almost like there's no reason.

That's fine for TV, but in person I need numbers. When I'm sitting in the OF, those numbers help me a ton. Whether it's with a bench guy getting a start, a pinch hitter, or baserunners, I need those numbers.

Hell, ask any broadcaster if they need those numbers. Most of them would be lost without them at some point during the game, especially with the opposing team. Ask Dick Sanford how much harder his job would be without the big #18 on the back of the pinch hitter he's about to announce from his booth above the club level. Ask the official scorers, the umpires, or the bench coach if the numbers are important to their job in keeping track of players.

Meh, I'm not saying that they should do away with numbers. I'm just saying they're not that big of a deal. Like you said, obviously you'll need them for substitutions, etc.

But it's not like football or hockey, where in all likelihood without the numbers you'd have absolutely no idea/verry little idea what player caught the ball/scored/whatever.

Meh, I'm not saying that they should do away with numbers. I'm just saying they're not that big of a deal. Like you said, obviously you'll need them for substitutions, etc.

But it's not like football or hockey, where in all likelihood without the numbers you'd have absolutely no idea/verry little idea what player caught the ball/scored/whatever.

Meh or no meh, the point is that there are many reasons that there are unis numbers in baseball.

Meh or no meh, the point is that there are many reasons that there are unis numbers in baseball.

I said why do numbers even matter? not why do they even have numbers?

Other than a player's ego... they don't do much. It doesn't matter who is 14 and who is 15, because quite honestly nobody's looking at Buck's number. They know who was announced in the lineup as catcher.

Other than a player's ego... they don't do much. It doesn't matter who is 14 and who is 15, because quite honestly nobody's looking at Buck's number. They know who was announced in the lineup as catcher.

And merchandise. People who own Gaby's # might be a bit upset at his number change. But in all honestly, it's not big deal.

But if more popular players (no offense to Gaby) were to get a number change out of the blue, it might be suspicious.

And merchandise. People who own Gaby's # might be a bit upset at his number change. But in all honestly, it's not big deal.

But if more popular players (no offense to Gaby) were to get a number change out of the blue, it might be suspicious.

I remember when kobe changed his number. That caused quite the ruckus.

That's why they matter, then.

And why does it matter that Marshall wears 19 or Booth wears 10?

I have no idea what it has to do with ego.

And how the would I know if he was in the starting lineup if I get to the game at 7:10?

I really have no idea what you're going on about here.

If you're like my grandfather, you need numbers, as well. "El numero cincuenti-cinco es un caballo."

I totally don't get that joke but I know that el numbero cuarenti cinco es El Caballo.

#55 (Josh Johnson) is a horse.

I find it sad that I speak like your grandfather, but in English.