Marlins scouting Cuban outfielder Balaguer

STANTONmarlinsfeature

MIAMI -- A year ago, the Marlins weighed whether to sign hard-throwing left-hander Aroldis Chapman, who wound up with the Reds.

Once again, the Marlins are showing interest in a Cuban-born player.

MLB.com has confirmed the team on Wednesday is watching a workout for Yasiel Balaguer, an 18-year-old Cuban outfielder. His athleticism and defense have drawn comparisons to Andruw Jones.

Balaguer arrived in Miami in November after leaving Cuba while traveling to Mexico. The 18-year-old is being represented by Carlos Perez of Miami Sports Consulting.

According to the Miami New Times, Balaguer is looking for a deal in the $18-20 million range. There are conflicting reports on the outfielder's talents. The Miami Herald has stated that he is "one of the biggest promising stars of Cuban baseball," while Baseball America considers him "solid" while having "average tools."

Balaguer is also expected to work out for the Mariners and Cubs.

MLB.com

If we get him he is going to be our centerfield of the feature he has also benn compare to VICTOR MESA one of the best center field that cuba has had.

Seriously?!? Of the Feature?!? What does that mean? ITS SPELLED FUTURE!! :banghead

Now back to whatever I was saying.. Yelich is the CF for the Marlins future or feature, he like Balaguer is 3 years or so off and cost less

If we get him he is going to be our centerfield of the feature he has also benn compare to VICTOR MESA one of the best center field that cuba has had.

Seriously?!? Of the Feature?!? What does that mean? ITS SPELLED FUTURE!! :banghead

Now back to whatever I was saying.. Yelich is the CF for the Marlins future or feature, he like Balaguer is 3 years or so off and cost less

I was wondering ...

Ah well.

I was wondering ...

Ah well.

is that some kind of joke Yasiel Balaguer is 10 times better than Yelich and really a first baseman in center

I was wondering ...

Ah well.

is that some kind of joke Yasiel Balaguer is 10 times better than Yelich and really a first baseman in center

How can you say that? You have zero comparison platform.

I was wondering ...

Ah well.

How can you say that? You have zero comparison platform.

Which is exactly why he'd say it.