Backup Plans

floridafly

• Rodriguez made clear he would love for Matt Dominguez to win the third base job. If he doesn’t, Beinfest said the Marlins would shift Infante from second to third, with Emilio Bonifacio, Murphy or perhaps Ozzie Martinez at second base.

• Instead of signing a veteran as a fallback behind Coghlan, Beinfest said he’s comfortable with the backup outfielders who will be in camp, including Bonifacio, Scott Cousins, Bryan Peterson and journeyman DeWayne Wise.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/02/15/2067040/florida-marlins-owner-jeffrey.html#ixzz1E7eVAE4b

The article also has stuff about Loria's high expectations of the Marlins this season. Again.

• Rodriguez made clear he would love for Matt Dominguez to win the third base job. If he doesn’t, Beinfest said the Marlins would shift Infante from second to third, with Emilio Bonifacio, Murphy or perhaps Ozzie Martinez at second base.

• Instead of signing a veteran as a fallback behind Coghlan, Beinfest said he’s comfortable with the backup outfielders who will be in camp, including Bonifacio, Scott Cousins, Bryan Peterson and journeyman DeWayne Wise.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/02/15/2067040/florida-marlins-owner-jeffrey.html#ixzz1E7eVAE4b

The article also has stuff about Loria's high expectations of the Marlins this season. Again.

Infante has played 2B three times as many innings as he's played 3B in his career and he's much better at 2B. The last two years, he's a -2 at 3B and a +3 at 2B. Bonifacio is much, much, much better at 3B (-1) than he is at 2B (-6). So I don't agree with shifting Infante to 3B if Dominguez doesn't make it. It should be Infante at 2B with Bonifacio/Helms splitting time at 3B.

Infante has played 2B three times as many innings as he's played 3B in his career and he's much better at 2B. The last two years, he's a -2 at 3B and a +3 at 2B. Bonifacio is much, much, much better at 3B (-1) than he is at 2B (-6). So I don't agree with shifting Infante to 3B if Dominguez doesn't make it. It should be Infante at 2B with Bonifacio/Helms splitting time at 3B.

I'm with you 100%. If Dominguez doesn't make the roster, then we're going to have a defensive hole at 3B no matter who we plug in there. In addition, no matter if it's Bonifacio, Ozzie, or Murphy fielding balls at 2B, I think there will be a dropoff from Infante's 2B defense. So why downgrade our 2B defense when moving Infante to 3B isn't going to be a defensive upgrade over our other 3B options? Makes zero sense to me.

That's assuming Bonifacio "wins" that, when I find it more than likely they go Martinez as the primary 2B. And Martinez by all accounts, can field.

That still puts Infante at 3B so I hope not. Ozzie played some 3B at the low A levels, though. I wonder if he can still do it. If he can, of course I'd prefer him over Boni, although Boni, for all of his faults, hasn't been bad vs lefties since he's been here so assuming how he does in camp, I wouldn't be against him splitting time with Ozzie/Helms/whoever. He's probably the best defensive 3B on the roster right now (Dominguez is a non roster invitee).

Matt Dominguez really needs to step it up and hit at an average MLB level.

I really feel that he's our X Factor this year. He will play above average defense and will be a huge improvement at 3rd from guys we've had in the past 5 seasons and the defense also improves at 2nd base with Infante if Dominguez wins the job.

Offensively I hope he does the little things right hitting 8th. He could have a lot of RBI situations with LoMo, Gaby and Buck hitting ahead of him so hopefully he could put the ball in play enough to get runs in. It would be a huge plus if he could be patient at the plate and maintain an OBP around .330-.350 and rip any early fastballs he gets as the 8 hitter hitting ahead of the pitcher.

We could only dream of the positives he could bring but that'll become a reality come spring training and hopefully he brings as much as possible so he can start in the bigs this year.

I was hoping they would sign Crede but I think he signed somewhere. Hopefully Dominguez can step it up.. then again, its not baseball season unless the Marlins having a glaring hole somewhere.

he didn't show up to camp.....i don't blame him though since the rockies have alot of infield depth and he would i spent most of the season in the minors. if he's healthy he'd have a good chance to start for the marlins for at least the first 2 months.

I was hoping they would sign Crede but I think he signed somewhere. Hopefully Dominguez can step it up.. then again, its not baseball season unless the Marlins having a glaring hole somewhere.

he didn't show up to camp.....i don't blame him though since the rockies have alot of infield depth and he would i spent most of the season in the minors. if he's healthy he'd have a good chance to start for the marlins for at least the first 2 months.

I would have tried keeping Chad Tracy ... at the worst he could have given us insurance