July 27, 201115 yr http://mlb.mlb.com/m...p_away&c_id=pit AS you can see, he is out by a mile, I slowed down the video and sure enough he was taged... Fire this Umpire, this is just terible...
July 27, 201115 yr you cant tell me he definitively tagged him on the swipe. the ball may have beat him by a mile, but he doesnt make it overly obvious that he tagged him on the leg. i would have called him out, but the swipe may not have touched lugo, just brushed by him
July 27, 201115 yr you cant tell me he definitively tagged him on the swipe. the ball may have beat him by a mile, but he doesnt make it overly obvious that he tagged him on the leg. i would have called him out, but the swipe may not have touched lugo, just brushed by him
July 27, 201115 yr if he touched him it was a little graze with the web of his glove. it is nt this huge awful call like everyone is making it out to be.
July 27, 201115 yr Oh, come on. The photo shows Lugo being tagged on the inner thigh, which is also what you see in the slow motion video and watching the play live. He was out by a mile. There is no need to make excuses. Lugo also hopped up after the tag as if he already knew he was out before the call was made. The Galarraga/Joyce incident was a closer call than this was.
July 27, 201115 yr Also, I think the video is conclusive enough that if MLB umpires had instant replay, the call would have been overturned.
July 27, 201115 yr When you watch that in real time the glove certainly doesn't look like it gets slowed down by contact... Needless to say whether or not he tagged him it's a FAIR call. Even if the ump was wrong, it's not as bad of a call as you're making it out to be, nor is it as bad a call as it initially seemed to the naked eye. When they showed in the zoomed image, the swipe was definitely questionable as to whether or not he actually tagged him. What's "unbelievable!" is the biased commentating when they can't cut the umpire some slack and see it from two different perspectives.
July 27, 201115 yr Author Not only was he taged out, but he was out by a mile, the umpire just wanted to go home, and thats not professional or fair.
July 27, 201115 yr Again... the still image is deceptive. In real motion, it looks very, very close. The swipe tag also looks as though when the glove comes close to the player, it doesn't change directions. So he either grazed him or he didn't tag him. I'm not saying he didn't tag him. I'm saying that it certainly wasn't necessarily a bad call. It certainly wasn't the worst call in baseball history.
July 27, 201115 yr exactly. this isnt an awful call. it was extremely close as to whether he actually tagged him.
July 27, 201115 yr Again... the still image is deceptive. In real motion, it looks very, very close. The swipe tag also looks as though when the glove comes close to the player, it doesn't change directions. So he either grazed him or he didn't tag him. I'm not saying he didn't tag him. I'm saying that it certainly wasn't necessarily a bad call. It certainly wasn't the worst call in baseball history. I think you have it backwards. I actually think watching it live at normal speed is more conclusive that Lugo was out, because that's what the motions of both players indicate. Why does the glove need to change directions? He was a swipe tag. Last time I checked, that's a real tag. McHenry begins the swipe at the inner thigh and swiftly ends at the top portion of the thigh. You shouldn't expect to see a lot of resistance there. It's unfathomable that an umpire at that angle would call him safe, unless he wanted to go home after a 19 inning game.
July 27, 201115 yr That wasn't even a bang-bang play. And the angle the umpire had wasn't even a bad one. From the picture shown up top, the umpire was looking right at it.
July 27, 201115 yr Again... the still image is deceptive. In real motion, it looks very, very close. The swipe tag also looks as though when the glove comes close to the player, it doesn't change directions. So he either grazed him or he didn't tag him. I'm not saying he didn't tag him. I'm saying that it certainly wasn't necessarily a bad call. It certainly wasn't the worst call in baseball history. I think you have it backwards. I actually think watching it live at normal speed is more conclusive that Lugo was out, because that's what the motions of both players indicate. Why does the glove need to change directions? He was a swipe tag. Last time I checked, that's a real tag. McHenry begins the swipe at the inner thigh and swiftly ends at the top portion of the thigh. You shouldn't expect to see a lot of resistance there. It's unfathomable that an umpire at that angle would call him safe, unless he wanted to go home after a 19 inning game. He used the tip of his glove to swipe tag him. The glove needs to change directions as in when one object meets another they effect the trajectory. Which is what I mean by he either grazed him ever so perfectly that Lugo's leg was perfectly moving in sync with the motion of the swipe or the tag just missed. Quite honestly I can't say for certain whether or not he was tagged. I personally would lean more towards calling him out, simply due to the nature of the fact that I don't like technicalities. The throw clearly beat him, and the play was questionable. But I don't think it's as certain as everyone is making it out to be.
July 27, 201115 yr Runner was out, this actually reminds me of seeing the "Infante slide" against Washington live, at the time I was thinking there is now way he is safe, but then of course he was. This on the other hand, is just a ridiculous call and probably ruined history as a fan I would have liked to have seen it continue until a team actually one not on an out. This umpire clearly has too much power, you don't end a game because you feel like it, if we need to start going to instant replay then do it at least we will know instant replay won't screw up because it's tired. Ridiculous.
July 27, 201115 yr The resistance of the glove against leg isn't going to be readily discernable when only a portion of each are in contact with one another. However, this should not be "support" for the bad call, because it does not imply that no contact was made.
July 27, 201115 yr Here's Jerry Meals' response: “I saw the tag, but he looked like he oléd him and I called him safe for that. I looked at the replays and it appeared he might have got him on the shin area. I’m guessing he might have got him, but when I was out there when it happened I didn’t see a tag. “I just saw the glove sweep up. I didn’t see the glove hit his leg.�
July 27, 201115 yr Again, I'm not saying the runner was safe. I'm just saying that when you're watching that live, and you see the glove swipe past the sliding player, and the gloves tip is the only portion that is around the players leg... it's understandable that the umpire could've seen a missed tag in that play. If anything, you can't blame the umpire for a lazy tag.
July 27, 201115 yr It's pretty ridiculous for anyone to think Meals made the call because he wanted to go home. These guys are professionals. They're not going to risk their careers (not to mention all the media attention & criticism) to do something like that.
July 27, 201115 yr It's pretty ridiculous for anyone to think Meals made the call because he wanted to go home. These guys are professionals. They're not going to risk their careers (not to mention all the media attention & criticism) to do something like that. About as ridiculous as a basketball referee betting on his games.
July 27, 201115 yr It's pretty ridiculous for anyone to think Meals made the call because he wanted to go home. These guys are professionals. They're not going to risk their careers (not to mention all the media attention & criticism) to do something like that. About as ridiculous as a basketball referee betting on his games. Well, that's never ha... oh wait.
July 27, 201115 yr That was truly one of the worst calls I've ever seen. I've actually seen a couple game-ending calls go the Braves way over the past few years, and it really irritates me. Yeah, the tag wasn't the greatest in the world, but come on. Let's be serious here. You cannot call Lugo safe on that play. Just a terrible, terrible call.
July 27, 201115 yr Considering the ball got there hours before the baserunner did, the ump needed to be 100% he missed the tag.
July 27, 201115 yr Author I dont see why replays would slow down the game, I mean it would only take maybe 1 min to make the right call to get it right. I say bring replays into baseball, NOT for balls and strikes, just plays where its very close. It will sure save time on manager arguments that are in the face of the ump for sometimes 5 mins
July 28, 201115 yr Considering the ball got there hours before the baserunner did, the ump needed to be 100% he missed the tag. this
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.