Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2011 College Football Thread

Featured Replies

You're missing the fact that I was talking about something that's been going on for much longer than you think. And at the end of the day, it still holds true. That defense shut FIU down just like it should've. The offense and ST was where FIU capitalized.

 

 

FIU shut UCF down just as much.

 

It was funny watching UCF fans go from "WE GOT NO RESPECT! WHY AREN'T WE RANKED??" to "FIRE O'LEARY! GODFREY'S REGRESSING!" in the span of 2 plays.

 

I didn't hear any of that. The smart fans definitely didn't do that.

 

We lost a tough game. Whatever. If we beat BYU next week, we should be closer to getting close to almost being ranked. Still think UCF could easily be ranked by seasons end.;

You're missing the fact that I was talking about something that's been going on for much longer than you think. And at the end of the day, it still holds true. That defense shut FIU down just like it should've. The offense and ST was where FIU capitalized.

 

 

FIU shut UCF down just as much.

 

It was funny watching UCF fans go from "WE GOT NO RESPECT! WHY AREN'T WE RANKED??" to "FIRE O'LEARY! GODFREY'S REGRESSING!" in the span of 2 plays.

 

I didn't see anybody saying any of that either. I agree, FIU shut down UCF as well. They have a great defense. But in comparison, UCF's offense certainly was able to move down the field with greater ease. They both missed a decent length kick as well, so we can pretty much just imagine that didn't happen. Ideally speaking, UCF got into scoring position (for at least a FG attempt) about two more times on top of a TD drive that FIU didn't have.

UCF gained 70 yards more than FIU for the game. They Ran more offensive plays.

 

To say they had an easier time moving the ball is silly. They basically had one good drive and another ok one late.

 

Neither team moved the ball well at all. Trying to make one sounds better is silly. Both teams played phenomenal defense.

UCF gained 70 yards more than FIU for the game. They Ran more offensive plays.

 

To say they had an easier time moving the ball is silly. They basically had one good drive and another ok one late.

 

Neither team moved the ball well at all. Trying to make one sounds better is silly. Both teams played phenomenal defense.

 

 

How is it silly to imply the fact that UCF indeed had more scoring chances? FIU just stepped up on each of those drives, save one. 70 yards is certainly enough to say the UCF offense had an easier time moving the ball. Especially when you consider the fact that the drive where FIU got a defensive TD was UCF moving down the field in a small amount of time with nothing to show for it.

 

Yeah, I'm not saying there was a clear difference between the two offenses. Of course it was a defensive battle, and there wasn't that much of a difference in the team's offenses, but I think we can also safely say that UCF more likely than not had the edge in that game and would've probably won the game had they not coughed the ball up twice (essentially) for two scores.

 

 

And go to the UCF Rivals board. You'll see what I'm talking about.

 

 

Rivals board. About as relevant and full of intellectuals as ESPN boards.

UCF gained 70 yards more than FIU for the game. They Ran more offensive plays.

 

To say they had an easier time moving the ball is silly. They basically had one good drive and another ok one late.

 

Neither team moved the ball well at all. Trying to make one sounds better is silly. Both teams played phenomenal defense.

 

 

How is it silly to imply the fact that UCF indeed had more scoring chances? FIU just stepped up on each of those drives, save one. 70 yards is certainly enough to say the UCF offense had an easier time moving the ball. Especially when you consider the fact that the drive where FIU got a defensive TD was UCF moving down the field in a small amount of time with nothing to show for it.

 

Yeah, I'm not saying there was a clear difference between the two offenses. Of course it was a defensive battle, and there wasn't that much of a difference in the team's offenses, but I think we can also safely say that UCF more likely than not had the edge in that game and would've probably won the game had they not coughed the ball up twice (essentially) for two scores.

 

The play FIU scored a defensive touchdown on was at the FIU 34 yard line before Godfrey was sacked. Even if he doesn't fumble that ball and just gets sacked, you're at your own 49 yard line with 10 seconds left. You're gonna hang your hat on that to show your consistent offense?

 

http://www.fiusports...=11700#GAME.DRV

 

UCF had 9 drives. 5 ended in punts. One lasted 18 plays and 10 minutes. Other than that, they had one drive that lasted longer than 4 minutes.

 

FIU had 9 drives. 5 ended in punts. 1 ended on downs because they were running out the clock. One was stopped on a 4th-and-1 after 10 plays and 5 minutes off the clock.

 

If UCF had an edge, it was that they had one really good drive. Other than that, the teams were completely even, except that UCF had a ton of penalties and made mistakes and FIU didn't. But you can't just discount that and give UCF some arbitrary edge because they had one good drive and averaged half a yard more per play.

 

 

And go to the UCF Rivals board. You'll see what I'm talking about.

 

 

Rivals board. About as relevant and full of intellectuals as ESPN boards.

Oh, so those aren't UCF fans?

How is it silly to imply the fact that UCF indeed had more scoring chances? FIU just stepped up on each of those drives, save one. 70 yards is certainly enough to say the UCF offense had an easier time moving the ball. Especially when you consider the fact that the drive where FIU got a defensive TD was UCF moving down the field in a small amount of time with nothing to show for it.

 

Yeah, I'm not saying there was a clear difference between the two offenses. Of course it was a defensive battle, and there wasn't that much of a difference in the team's offenses, but I think we can also safely say that UCF more likely than not had the edge in that game and would've probably won the game had they not coughed the ball up twice (essentially) for two scores.

 

 

The play FIU scored a defensive touchdown on was at the FIU 34 yard line before Godfrey was sacked. Even if he doesn't fumble that ball and just gets sacked, you're at your own 49 yard line with 10 seconds left. You're gonna hang your hat on that to show your consistent offense?

 

http://www.fiusports...=11700#GAME.DRV

 

UCF had 9 drives. 5 ended in punts. One lasted 18 plays and 10 minutes. Other than that, they had one drive that lasted longer than 4 minutes.

 

FIU had 9 drives. 5 ended in punts. 1 ended on downs because they were running out the clock. One was stopped on a 4th-and-1 after 10 plays and 5 minutes off the clock.

 

If UCF had an edge, it was that they had one really good drive. Other than that, the teams were completely even, except that UCF had a ton of penalties and made mistakes and FIU didn't. But you can't just discount that and give UCF some arbitrary edge because they had one good drive and averaged half a yard more per play.

 

You can't just go scenario playing. If we're doing that, then I might as well say 'Godfrey wasn't going to get sacked. Had he gotten rid of the ball a second earlier it would've been an incomplete pass'. I'm not justifying that play, nor am I saying UCF should've won. But had that single play not happened, UCF probably would've won.

 

 

Correct, I never said that it was a huge difference. Ideally, it was about a full drive that UCF had advantage over FIU. And again, had the two turnovers never occurred, you're looking at the Knights potentially squeezing off another FG and not allowing another TD.

 

You can't just use stats like that saying UCF averaged only half a yard more. It's an entire game's worth of play. You don't need averages of ONE. UCF had more yards and more scoring opportunities generated by their offense.

 

 

 

And go to the UCF Rivals board. You'll see what I'm talking about.

 

 

Rivals board. About as relevant and full of intellectuals as ESPN boards.

Oh, so those aren't UCF fans?

 

Do you refer to those as Marlins fans as well at ESPN? Shall we just go to Facebook and grab a random post on any given fanpage and decide that that's the voice of the fanbase? Sorry, but I attend UCF. I witness all sorts of fans. The redneck fans who probably didn't even attend UCF let alone college at all... the alumni... the students... I interact with these people. Nobody was acting like that. Just because you're reading it at one given point on the internet doesn't mean 'the UCF fans are saying _____' or anything to the sort. You're almost purposely letting some random rotten apple (that's not even sitting in the basket with the rest of the apples) spoil the bunch.

I do not see how you can say nobody is acting in a way somebody was acting, but ok.

 

Whatever. It was an evenly matched game. I think it's really silly to say any team had an advantage. One team just made more mistakes.

Great wins by both the U and FIU. I actually expect that both will be ranked in the top 25 by the end of the season. The Canes have a lot of talent and they seemed to be much better coached this season. FIU could well end up being undefeated this season.

I do not see how you can say nobody is acting in a way somebody was acting, but ok.

 

Whatever. It was an evenly matched game. I think it's really silly to say any team had an advantage. One team just made more mistakes.

 

 

What do you mean? You're generalizing in a very foolish way. You're taking a standard that isn't the standard and then proclaiming it the standard.

 

A collective bunch of UCF football fans posting in a forum that's notorious for ignorance and stupidity (regardless of the fan's team loyalty seeing as those boards are universal) and then saying that 'it's funny watching UCF fans go from saying this to that'?

 

That's simply not true. UCF fans as the collective entity were not doing that. And you can't just say that because one small portion of the UCF fans were saying that. The vast majority (including those at the game) left in good sportsmanship and accepted the loss as it was.

So you think there were no UCF fans outside of the Rivals board who thought you guys should have been ranked and weren't getting the proper respect? It was just ignorant and stupid fans on that one message board?

 

Yes, it was a generalization. Every statement about any group of people is a generalization.

A generalization is only fair if you're talking about a majority, or at least a notable portion of the population.

 

The Rivals Board is neither of those.

 

I sit on my Facebook and I see the UCF fans' responses. I attend class and I see the UCF fans' responses. I walk around here in Orlando and I see their responses.

 

There's no credibility or relevance that comes from ESPN or Yahoo!'s message boards. Period.

I can't really tell if you're being facetious or not but yes, it would've been much nicer if you would've said some UCF fans or in particular the ones on the Yahoo boards.

If we can beat BYU next week... think UCF will be back in the mix?

 

Or do they really have to earn it again with a loss to FIU?

If we can beat BYU next week... think UCF will be back in the mix?

 

Or do they really have to earn it again with a loss to FIU?

 

I don't know, BYU looked like sh*t last week against Utah. If UCF beats them it might just get cast aside as them beating a bad BYU.

Yeah I figured it'd probably get that wrap...

 

I mean, it deserves it after losing to FIU. If we lose to FIU and then beat BYU, it just says BYU would lose to FIU to most people...

 

Not trying to sh*t talk FIU but obviously as you know underdogs don't get attention.

Yeah I figured it'd probably get that wrap...

 

I mean, it deserves it after losing to FIU. If we lose to FIU and then beat BYU, it just says BYU would lose to FIU to most people...

 

Not trying to sh*t talk FIU but obviously as you know underdogs don't get attention.

 

Yeah, I feel you man.

The 'Canes should handle Kansas State tommorow.

 

New Mexico better not lose at home to Sam Houston State.

 

Though the way Locksley coaches I can easily see it happening.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.